News   Apr 23, 2024
 247     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 798     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 463     0 

New Streetcars

This crossover idea got me thinking: With today's location pinpointing technology in place wouldn't it be possible to create a virtual ROW using crossovers?

Streetcars would be able to pass traffic jams by favoring the traffic lights of oncoming traffic to stop while the streetcar moves on to the left lane and passes the stalled traffic.

This could also be used to pass a disabled streetcar.

Location based schedules could be implemented also. A driver would be instructed to remain 5 minutes behind the streetcar ahead and not need to follow a set schedule at all. People on each stop would simply know that a streetcar is always less than 5 minutes away.

Today I experienced an unnerving bunching. I waited for 20 minutes for a streetcar at Queen and Shaw and finally gave up. I walked all the way to Queen and University at which point 4 streetcars passed, one emptier than the other in front of it. grrr!

I like the virtual ROW idea, provided that streetcars can safely drive in oncoming traffic. It would make a mess of the line, but at least traffic would be able to get through.

Location based schedules only work when service is very frequent - more frequent than every 5 minutes. Anything less frequent would be hard to do, as someone who has to transfer onto an infrequent route needs concrete schedules to plan their trip.

If I need to transfer onto a bus that runs every 40 minutes (I live in Brampton:mad:), then I need to know exactly what time my bus will get me to the transfer point.

^ but you don't have set schedules with subways and they come at 3 minutes on rush hour and about 5 or 6 on other times. I think 5 minute guaranteed streetcars would be amazing.

The way things are right now, I've finally cancelled my metropass discount plan after having it for 8 years. I do a lot more walking than actually taking the TTC because I hate to wait at a stop not knowing when the next one will come. I'd rather walk than wait.

speaking of streetcars, how long have they had the new automated stop announcements and that electronic stop display marquee board on ttc streetcars? i was on a queen st streetcar tonight and they had stop announcements like the subways "Next Stop, University Ave. Osgoode Subway Station" and the yellow marquee would flash "University Ave." and "Osgoode Stn" or something..

pretty nice to have something like that on our streetcars finally.

They've had them in place for months now. Finally we don't have to hear that terrible singing announcer or the begrudged drivers who think that their inflated salaries don't pay them enough to make announcements.

They've had them in place for months now. Finally we don't have to hear that terrible singing announcer or the begrudged drivers who think that their inflated salaries don't pay them enough to make announcements.

It's ridiculous for TTC to have to spend millions on this matter - the drivers should have to do the announcements, period. There is no excuse for them not to, especially on the subway. Don't do it, get fired.

AoD

Today I experienced an unnerving bunching. I waited for 20 minutes for a streetcar at Queen and Shaw and finally gave up. I walked all the way to Queen and University at which point 4 streetcars passed, one emptier than the other in front of it. grrr!

That about sums up my daily commute on the King-car- but then again, that is pretty much the same on all streetcar lines- traffic is the number one cause for streetcar delays-with the possible exception of Spadina, where they stream down at 2 min. intervals.

Just a side story- the other day, I was on the King-car on my way downtown, when the streetcar came to a stop, about 25 metres from the actual stop--we sat there for honestly 7 minutes, maybe 8- by then everyone from the stop had walked over and boarded the tram and that is when I noticed what the problem was. Some woman had decided to park her car directly over the right side of the tracks in order to run into starbucks- she didn't even care that we were waiting and the streetcar driver let her know that she had blocked us as well..she just shrugged and drank her grande slutee..and drove off. Really aggravates me..

p5

I had the same issue today as well. I was waiting at Queen and Dufferin along with the other peasants, after 10 minutes I decided to hoof it!!

What? Terrible? I think the singing announcer is one of the best things about the TTC. His tireless enthusiasm for his job brightens my day every time I happen onto his streetcar. I generally phone in a compliment every time. He also tends to be especially helpful with directions and other questions.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same "singer". This one's english and singing is so poor that everybody in the car blushes.

There are a few of them who call out every stop, describe attractions and useful locations at each stop and say thank you to every single person walking in the door.

There was a wannabe pilot on the 190 a while back...he'd tell us to not bother buckling our seatbelts because we had none, and that a stewardess would not be inquiring about our meal choices because we weren't getting any food.

Oh, and I'm a fan of the woman who drives the YUS trains in the late evening - she has huge curly hair (like Shirley Temple with elephantitis) and whispers the station names like a playful, drawlling Kathleen Turner. To think she's been replaced by "THE NEXT STATION IS EGLINGTON EGLINGTON STATION"...

I've always been a big fan of the idea of bonuses for drivers who get compliments. Say 20 bucks for every verifiable compliment. Just to show that customer service is something that the TTC administration values.

The singing streetcar operator (I believe there is only one) on the Bathurst route is the worst. Some might think he's a nice singer, but the bad thing about him is that he encourages fare evasion by leaving the rear doors open at every major stop... even though he is not on a POP route.

I doubt there's only one, considering the number of sightings we seem to have had.

Encouraging fare evasion! If it's not a problem on Queen, then I don't see why it would be on Bathursts. To think, a driver putting the priority on customer service by doubling the loading speed.

Back