News   Apr 26, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.5K     4 

New look for the Victoria Park subway station (Brown and Storey)

Update photos as of Dec 3rd, 2010
[video=youtube;6vO7JertxGI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vO7JertxGI[/video]

Thanks for the shots Drum118! I take the 12 bus usually and don't see the north side of the Station that much. Looks like the elevator and Pedestrian Bridge that crosses VP are coming along. I have an older friend and a friend my age who suffered an injury, both have difficulty negotiating stairs and these ramps and elevators are going to help them and many other riders as well I imagine when its done. I think it is to be completed in the spring of 2011?

The word is, the elevators are to be in service come March and hard to see that. The south side/eastbound for sure, but not for the 2 north ones unless a large crew shows up.

Once VP is 100% accessibly, TTC will be moving the Varity Village Shuttle bus to this station from Main Street.

Is the Variety Village Shuttle bus just for the disabled or can anyone use it? Hopefully the 404 shuttle bus starts entering Vic Park Station soon, I have an older friend who uses Shoppers World frequently and this service would help him, and others I imagine, very much.

The main parking lot, between the bus loop and Victoria Park is open. Some of the parking spots are still being used by trailers for the Ellis Don Construction people, but most of the lot is open for those commuters who use cars to transit station. I don't know why, but, the four spots at the north end of the parking lot next to where the 24 buses park aren't being used for taxis yet, cars are being parked there, hopefully the taxis move there and get off of Victoria Park near the golf course soon.

The elevators are almost done on both the east-bound platform and the west-bound platform. It is already looking great. I am not with my kids all the time but sometimes they are with me on transit and my older one is a toddler and isn't the steadiest on stairs and my younger one is still in a stoller, so stair are a bit of a problem for me right now. Glad their are no stairs for the bus platforms there anymore. This station is going to be so great for parents like me and those of limited mobility. At the station you can see the elevator shafts almost complete up at the platform level and down at the station as well- pretty soon they will be operational it looks.

Feb 23 Visited with comment on the site
[video=youtube;1kH5NOLgMZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kH5NOLgMZk[/video]

April 5 2011 photos

5596850468_20928d370f_b.jpg

5596268223_30fbe6b010_b.jpg

5596268597_dbd23247d1_b.jpg

5596269071_83e2b70392_b.jpg

5596852174_ec47452307_b.jpg

5596270571_b110c487b9_b.jpg

5596292055_71c186dbb0_b.jpg

5596293315_c02bf6963b_b.jpg

5596272581_93fddb1da2_b.jpg

5596273231_2748ba04e0_b.jpg

5596856960_58a5c64d08_b.jpg

5596274953_7ec6d5b1da_b.jpg

5596858196_cd0fefcbf9_b.jpg

5596868898_9a7b7bfd29_b.jpg

5596288501_be9091e245_b.jpg

5596284873_fcc9b49f53_b.jpg

5596281691_fb3f32191b_b.jpg

5596281103_75936c8f7c_b.jpg

5596277849_137850863a_b.jpg

Great pictures, Wyliepoon! Based on those, I'd say that Victoria Park has gone from being one of the worst-looking stations to one of the best.

I like the new sign that actually uses proper TTC Subway style. It's a nice touch because the renovation made the original station names less easy to read:

800px-Vic_Park_window.JPG

I've passed though this station fairly recently.

The re-done bus terminal is superior, particularly the way its uplit at night.

Overall, the station is certainly much improved.

The new windows in both the mezzanine and long the westbound subway platform are also very positive.

However, what's really unfortunate is the un-finished nature of the change.

The decision to mostly, but not completely retile the mezzanine/lower level; and to essentially leave 100% of the original finishes at the platform level.

The interior ceilings (even where replaced) and lighting are also quite unfortunate.

They've gone with a new ceiling that's flat and has a dull finish, along with fairly standard, box fluorescent lights, essentially un-changed from the original.

Too bad. The new finishes, where utilized, are much nicer, and I doubt it would have added that much cost, on a 40M+ project to finish the new tile work.

Seems odd also, that the TTC which has been slowly replacing all the old 'U' shaped platform lights, does not appear to be doing that here, in conjunction with this project.

Oh well. Still a big improvement.

The new entrance with the coloured glass is great. This project seems to have built upon the original Bloor Danforth line aesthetic and improved things rather than destroying everything and starting fresh with cheap new finishes. I would have preferred further enhancements, but it's a nice improvement over the sterility of the original Bloor Danforth station design.

Agreed. It looks like a significant improvement, but it is amazing that nobody had the foresight to replace the four white tiles that now read "Vic" and the three black tiles that read "toria Park." It should have been pretty simple actually: Just save a few tiles before creating the windows at platform level. Best of intentions, but an amateurish outcome.

My understanding that the broken name will be remove and new ones install next to them. When you are equalling spacing things, you cannot stop because there is name in the way.

TTC crews will replace those tiles after the contract is finish, since they have the experience doing it on the other stations these days. This will prevent contract dispute.

It would have been nice to see more large windows on the south side as that is where the sun light is.

There are a few others things that could be done to enhance this station more, but no money to do it.

The station has improved greatly for me- I have two children- one still in a stroller and one walking a bit but needs a hand doing stairs. Sometimes I am travelling with them so the improvements to Vic Park Station has been greatly appreciated by me since the bus bays have opened. One thing I would like the TTC to do is extend the sheltered platform south along L-shaped bus platform so that it won't be such a far walk for those of us waiting for the 12 buses and 67 buses -it would help in the winter. Still it is much better then those individual bus bays we used to have to walk up an extra flight of stairs to get our connecting bus!

I had a bit of time off this weekend and checked out the progress at this station. I notice right on the west side of the station- right next to the main front door on Victoria Park Avenue itself they are constructing some kind of sheltered bike shed. Does anyone know if this is one of the planned Bixi Stations?

Back