News   Jun 27, 2024
 440     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 470     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 480     0 

New look for the Victoria Park subway station (Brown and Storey)

I had a bit of time off this weekend and checked out the progress at this station. I notice right on the west side of the station- right next to the main front door on Victoria Park Avenue itself they are constructing some kind of sheltered bike shed. Does anyone know if this is one of the planned Bixi Stations?

Seems unlikely since BIXI is only in the very downtown core. Their stations in Montreal and the ones I've seen so far in Toronto aren't sheltered either...they just look like a higher-tech bike rack really.

May 8
5702311721_56a852baed_b.jpg

5702312437_4f0c512d5f_b.jpg

Wanted to get somemore shots, but the late 24 finally show up that I was taking.
5702889794_6d8599fc5d_b.jpg

[video=youtube;hs_2Qq1B1VQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_2Qq1B1VQ[/video]

May 31:
Ellis-Don was going to open the new east entrace today for the westbound
platform until TTC decided it need to make some changes to the turnstiles. At
this time, there is no new opening date until TTC does its thing, what every it
is.

The 2 platforms elev as schedule to go into service within the next 10-14 days
if everything remains on schedule. The 3rd one to the walkway is to open a week
or 2 after the platforms.

Landscaping is taking place along the east side with part of the fencing still
missing. The green roof looks so so.

The new bike rack storage area is ready to be open.

All 3 of the skylights in the bus bay have different artwork in them and you
will not notices them unless looking up with a zoom camera.

Don't expect to see full completion for the station until the fall.

Once the platforms elevators are in service, I expect TTC will shift the Variety
Village Shuttle from Main to VP either in July or Aug. This will allow TTC to
provide a faster, shorter route than it does today, as well looking at better
headways. Anyone can ride this shuttle to VV and get off/on at the various TTC
stops along the route. There are large notices-maps posted at Main stating this.

I thought the Variety Village 406 shuttle would be terminated once the elevators at Victoria Park are finished, as the route can then be serviced by low-floor 12A buses from an accessible station. Though I'm only speaking from memory.

Last edited:
I thought the Variety Village 408 shuttle would be terminated once the elevators at Victoria Park are finished, as the route can then be serviced by low-floor 12A buses from an accessible station. Though I'm only speaking from memory.

I note the 408 schedule information has already vanished from the TTC website.

Your right, as I forgot of this change. One way or another, some non happy campers over this change.

Is the existing community bus, the 404 (that goes to Shoppers World and Cresent Town to the East General Hospital) entering Victoria Park Station again? It just by-passed this station since the teardown and I am wondering if it will start entering the station again when the elevators are open to the public. I did see signs for the bus on the bus platform but I haven't seen it in the station, just going straight on by.

This improvement I have noticed this week while commuting is that a lot of the landscaping and some of the green roof has been getting done. It is only aesthitic but I appreciate these improvements as well, not as much as getting rid of those old seperated bus platforms though, but I appreciate these little improvements as well. The elevators looked almost ready for use- maybe they are- a lot of the fencing has dissappeared around them. I will update again if I do see them in use.

If you look at the date on the completion for the elevators, it has been change from Spring 2011 to Summer 2011 now.

It looks like they have moved the opening date for the platforms back now to when the 3rd one is supposed to open within the next few weeks. The elevators look the same from the last time I saw them when I was talking to the project manager.

The plants add something to the east side. Still missing section to the upper fence.

I went through there on Sunday and only took one photo of all things.

Well I used the elavator on the westbound platform today at VP Station. Don't know if it is permanently opened or it is just a trial- but this is going to help a lot of people with mobility issues.

Last edited:
The 2 elevator are working and not on trail. They started later than schedule and what else is new. The 3rd elevator was supposed to go into operation 2 weeks after these 2 and see if that happen. From what I saw, it will not.

I see they took the turnsile out of service at the west end and still have not fix the east platform doors.

The bike room is still not finish for what every reason.

See no changes or work on the east entrance since I was there some weeks ago.

Fenceing still missing at the upper level.

Turning out to be one of those fine mess job as someone either screw up of something or things were missing on the construction drawings.

Good day off today- the wife took the kids to her mother's. Checked out VP station for a bit- looks like this project is almost done! Few little cosmetic things and the three stop elevator from the pedestian bridge to finish- that will help a lot of elderly and disabled who live in the Cresent Town area very much I imagine. Hopefully Warden Station will get funding soon as well. I use that station quite often as well- I heard on another thread that they plan on getting rid of those seperated bus platforms at that station. One thing I like about Warden Station is the bus ramps in and out of the station. Hopefully the new design uses those because they work really well. Kennedy Station will get a remake when they add the Eglington Crosstown LRT and SRT uprgade. Great seeing many stations getting more user friendly. Hopefully Mayor Ford doesn't slow this progress up too much.

Back