News   May 28, 2024
 183     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1K     1 

New look for the Victoria Park subway station (Brown and Storey)

Thanks TTC12!

Ironically, I went there today and saw them hammering away. Looks pretty good for not being finished yet, IMO.

Oh, and I had to wait 24 minutes for the 24A (lol) to get to Don Mills Station. Of course I had to miss the one that just pulled out of there; it's a tradition. :rolleyes:

I have to wait quite often for the 24A as well, it is a bit of pain sometimes. I always wished they would have extended the Sheppard Line to Victoria Park at least. to make this transfer easier for us commuters. At least Victoria Park Station will be a lot more user friendly when it is done.

Feb 10
[video=youtube;tYvK5k16IBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYvK5k16IBg[/video]

I like the video Drum 118. I saw a lot of glazing done at the station today, it is really coming together. They have all those cement moldings under the platform roof near the subway station and they have about half the moldings done on the north/south platform. Like I mentioned they have quite a bit of glazing, or windows, under the platform near the station- I imagine it will be a bright airy station with all the windows being put in. Does anyone know if they are going to build an enclosed waiting area for the north/south platform that is further from the station? I read in the Transit City Bus Plan that the were asking for a few million dollars so they could construct an enclosed platform for the people waiting for buses along that platform but, I don't know if the funding was secured.

Got free a little early today so I checked out VP Station progress. They have most of the curved cement moldings up under each bus platform roof, they are also putting up steel barriers to seperate the future parking lot with the fututre bus loop. No station is perfect but I can already see that this station is going to be at least 10X better then the old VP Station.

Don't look for the bus terminal opening this month
[video=youtube;cv5qDS85uN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv5qDS85uN8[/video]

I emailed the the planners of Victoria Park Station Modernization about some questions about this project and to try and get some info. about Warden Station as well and this is what the emailed back to me:

"Dear Mr. S:

Regarding Victoria Park: The potential inclusion of shelter for the commuters using the southern platforms will not delay the contract timing. The shelters along the south platform will not be full length during this phase of the renovation. Further, we will not be adding additional platforms as the design accommodates platforms for all the planned bus routes.

Re. Warden Station: TTC is planning the construction of a parking lot and a second entrance building within the Hydro Corridor as part of the Warden Phase 1 project. Under Warden Phase 2, the existing bus terminal would be torn down and a new terminal built under a portion of a new development on the site. The subway station would largely remain where it is, however, it would be made fully accessible and a new fare line, including collectors booth, and would be constructed as part of the redevelopment and integrated into a proposed “transit plaza” with on-grade access from Warden and St. Clair. Phase 2 will require prospective funding partners before it is initiated."

The project team can be reached at at VicPark_BusTerminal.Replacement@ttc.ca"

All the curved molding are now up under the new platform roofs now. Most of the fending is up that will seperate the future parking lot and taxi stand from the bus loop is up now as well.

I just got an email from station.modernization@ttc.ca and they answered my question about the enclosed waiting area for the north/south platform and this is what they told me:

Dear Mr. S,

Thank you for your email. The information you gathered in the report is correct. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, we were unable to secure funding to construct the enclosed waiting area for the north/south platform during this budget year, however was maintained in our budget documents as an unfunded “below the line” item for consideration in the next budget cycle.

Let the polling start as to when the bus bays will open considering 2 dates have
come and gone for it. This is as of April 03.

I see the outdated signs have finally been removed.

The new entrance is almost finish and waiting for ramp handrail. The opening in
the wall is there now.

Framing is taking place in the busbay waiting area to support the drywall for
the ceiling and bulkhead.

They started work for the westbound elevator.

Nothing started for the new east end entrance.

The temporary west walkway is still not finish that was started in Feb.

No new traffic lights installed at the new crosswalk area and have to be in
operation before the existing west walkway can be close.

I would say mid May to early June for the bus bay to go into service and it
needs the new traffic lights for buses to get out of the station.

As for the enclosure, no surprise.

They have some of the boards down inside the station and just one of those mesh fences to keep us transit users out of construction sights. The benefit of this mesh partition we commuters can see the progress on the inside of the station. The ramps and stairs are all poured of course and the whole inside of the future station is taking shape. This station is not going to look or move us passengers anything like the old station. I can't wait until we don't have to use that single door on the north side of the station to get to the temporary bus stalls. It is really inconvenient and too crowded to move people effecitvely.

They are putting in bus shelters along the east side bus bay. :mad::mad:

The station is still months off from going into service.:(

The temporarily stairs on the west side of Victoria are now finish, but cannot be put into service until the new crosswalk is in place when the traffic lights get install.

The new entrance could go into service in May with no problems.:)

Will post some photos I took today on Monday.:cool:

Going to the open view is saying this is what going on and why it taking so long to get riders off TTC Back.

Last edited:
Quite a bit of work done on the VP Station project. They have the new permenant traffic lights that will be used for the new bus exit when the station is done. A lot of work has been done on the interior as well, lots of the new ceiling is up and the front windows and glass doors are almost finished as well. The station is really starting to take shape.

It is fun for me to witness this, I remember just after I moved here to Toronto, indirectly from Vancouver, and a councillor (I didn't catch her name) made a deputation for the TTC to fund modernizing VP Station. She had given out pliterature of what was proposed for this station and now 4-5 yrs later these plans are becoming reality. I really find it exciting. Now that I have learned a little about the process, a friend of mine, who is a transit fan as well, and myself will be making our own deputations in the near future after we get some more information. Our deputation is not going to be as big as the VP deputation I had seen but it is something on a smaller scale that will help us who use the buses.

I saw another deputation put together, not as well or as professional and thoroughly as the VP Station Modernization deputation I witnessed, but this other deputation was regarding extending the subway west to Sherway Gardens. Hope that group gets their act together and put a well put together deputation about this westward extension.

New Bus Bays Open!!!

Fantastic news, the new bus bays are open at Victoria Park Station today! The inside is opened up mostly and you enter the station from the big sliding doors at street level on Victoria Park itself. The station still needs a little bit of work, such as the elevators and some other things, but with the window on the north side near the golf course, and all the windows at the Subway platform area really opens up the station.

I saw some surveyors there today, surveying of course, Victoria Park itself. They were on the south/west corner of Denton Ave. and VP and I think they were measuring either Victoria Park itself or the area where the old temporary bus bays were. Very exciting day for this transit buff.

Their are many bus bays there, most 24 VP routes use the east west docking areas near VP station and the 24A bus uses the northenmost dock on the north south platform.

I don't think they have funding yet for the enclosed waiting area that was talked about in the 'Transit City Bus Plan', hopefully they build that to make it more comfortable for us commuters that use the 12 and 67 bus routes. Still the VP Station is head and shoulders above the old station with the seperated bus platforms- and it isn't even done yet.

Check it out and share your impressions of it so far.

Back