News   Aug 26, 2024
 350     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 403     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 511     2 

New Cumberland St. TTC entrance

Yea sorry guys... I had no way of taking pictures today.. =(

But it looked like it is an all-day thing so, I hope someone can capture this special moment~

I had dinner with friends at The Coffee Mill in Yorkville on Tuesday night, and it wasn't open then. We even had a discussion about it as we walked along Cumberland. Glad to finally see it finally opening though. It looks really good but it sure doesn't look like a million dollar entrance. In fact that very statement sounds obscene when I read it back.

Was there a party at Lower Bay tonight? They had a red carpet and security people when I left the station.

Is there any reason this entrance was chosen to have the biggest TTC By-Laws sign ever made? It's enormous, probably 2 x 2 metres, yet still somehow in a tiny point font!

It really kills the miniscule amount of "glamour" this entrance creates when it contains a giant sign reminding you "not to expectorate on any commission vehicle".

New Entrance

So I had occasion to use this entrance yesterday.

I have 4 thoughts:

1) Overall, its looks quite nice/decent.

2) There is no way it took 11 months to build this, give me a break

3) There is no way it cost a penny over 200k!

4) That pendant light fixture looks good...but...but its hanging by a fragile cord, its quite low.....I hate the safety police, but I totally see this as trouble, hopefully I'm wrong.

The total cost of the renovated entrance has been estimated $1.2 million, which is about $345,000 more than originally included in the city’s budget. The original allocated amount included in the TTC’s 2009-2013 capital program was $855,000.

Apparently the inflated costs were due to issues related to structural wall connections and changes to the curtain wall configuration. The three month pause in construction to deal with design changes.

The entrance is open

IMG_sept-02-09-0239.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0240.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0241.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0242.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0243.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0244.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0245.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0246.jpg

It looks like it turned out fine. The steps have been enhanced, the new tiles go well with the old and there looks to be a decent lighting fixture. These have improved the BD aesthetic rather than wipe it out The original tiles are there with the short enigmatic code sandblasted into one, as are the BD handrails with yellow band at the end.

The only thing I hate is that ubiquitous speckled white matte tiling that the TTC uses. Even when it's new or freshly cleaned, it still looks worn and dirty. Maybe a high gloss finish would give it a "classier" feel, but I don't know, there's just something about it.

Also, looking at the previous exterior pictures, gotta love that sexy aluminum flashing along the roof line. The million dollars spent really shines though on this one!

Last edited:

Back