News   Apr 26, 2024
 583     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 221     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 703     0 

Net Neutrality / Internet Throttling Debate

In the USA its not unusual for cable internet providers to offer unlimited downloads. In Canada for some reason 60 GB is too much to offer. And on top of that they want to bill you extra for the privilege of a metered taste of what with our neighbours to the south enjoy ?

The petition is apparently the largest in Canadian history. It's almost at 200,000 now. I hope this decision gets reversed. The NDP and Liberals are both against UBB.

Unpacking The Policy Issues Behind Bandwidth Caps & Usage Based Billing

Good article. I say let competition in and the telecoms should be investing in their infrastructure for future bandwidth demands

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5611/125/

Fantastic news! Sometimes people can come together and beat the big guys.

Good news! First party that tells me it will abandon CRTC in the next election, is getting my vote

Good news! First party that tells me it will abandon CRTC in the next election, is getting my vote

elimination of the CRTC would most likely result in re-sellers being banished from using bell's & rogers' networks. the UBB reversal that just happened would be useless and for nothing. without the CRTC, re-sellers would be at the total mercy of the big two. the very existence of re-sellers depends on the existence of the CRTC. the problem was that the CRTC wasn't looking out for consumers' interests like they should have been, not that the CRTC shouldn't exist.

also, the big two can still have low caps & charge ridiculous amounts per GB for their own customers. i don't think that changed.

I think this debate and the related debate on illegally downloading content is a fascinating slice of contemporary culture.

I also think how people project character and morals on people, institutions, and organizations is equally fascinating.

Personally, I believe in responsibilities and principles, not entitlements and rights.

elimination of the CRTC would most likely result in re-sellers being banished from using bell's & rogers' networks. the UBB reversal that just happened would be useless and for nothing. without the CRTC, re-sellers would be at the total mercy of the big two. the very existence of re-sellers depends on the existence of the CRTC. the problem was that the CRTC wasn't looking out for consumers' interests like they should have been, not that the CRTC shouldn't exist.

also, the big two can still have low caps & charge ridiculous amounts per GB for their own customers. i don't think that changed.

I think that the big two will be forced to change by the market as more and more people become aware of the cheaper alternatives - such as Teksavvy - and make the switch. Teksavvy's cheapest cable offering ($27.95 /mth) gives you a 200 GB cap vs only 2GB for Rogers cheapest plan ($27.99). If you go over your 200GB cap with Teksavvy they charge you only 50 cent / GB whereas Rogers charges $5.00/GB ! Whats more the Teksavvy download speed is 3Mbps versus 500 Kbps for Rogers. There is just no comparison. Rogers is a major rip-off.

Back