News   May 07, 2024
 226     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 259     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 763     3 

Net Neutrality / Internet Throttling Debate

Unplugging the modem from the power source for about 30 seconds then plugging it back in is good practice about once a month if your a moderate to heavy Internet user.

Yeah I did unplug the modem but it didn't work. I didn't do it for 30 secs though.

Ever since I unplugged and replugged the router, my internet is no longer throttled! My eMule uploads have been at maximum for the past few days. Before they were throttled to 4 KB/s but now I can upload at around 60 KB/s! I don't know if it is a coincidence or not.

If your opposed to the recent CRTC decision that allows ISP's to move toward "metered Internet", take a moment and sign the petition here to Industry Minister Tony Clement. It only takes a few moments.

I'm not signing any online petition. Canada is still a democracy last I checked, and Tony Clement is still an elected representative of the people, part of minority government. Canadians should hold its government its government accountable instead of signing useless petitions.

The only reason I can think of to opposing metered billing is that I want other people to subsidize my heavy internet use.

I was contacted for a survey about internet use and some of the questions were for my opinion on combined data plans which would let you split your monthly download allotment between your computer, phone, tablet etc. I could get behind that. One of the big ISPs clearly contracted the survey firm to gauge interest in that type of plan.

As I see it the big media companies are protecting their cable/satellite TV interests with Internet metering to limit viewing TV shows online (streaming), Apple TV, Netflix and whatever else comes along in the near future. The Internet is rapidly developing, it's importance in our lives 4 or 5 years down the road is unimaginable to us with the speed of which technology is progressing.

The only reason I can think of to opposing metered billing is that I want other people to subsidize my heavy internet use.

I was contacted for a survey about internet use and some of the questions were for my opinion on combined data plans which would let you split your monthly download allotment between your computer, phone, tablet etc. I could get behind that. One of the big ISPs clearly contracted the survey firm to gauge interest in that type of plan.

i don't get it. if you have a cap of 50GB, you'd be in favour of dividing that 50GB (splitting) between your computer, phone (voip), etc.? where is the benefit in that? that is already the status quo. do you mean split allotments or separate allotments?

i think metered internet is horrible. it will stifle innovation. i envision the future when 100Mb/s symmetrical fibre to the home connections will be commonplace, and we all have data caps of 40 GB. that should give us about 50 minutes of downloading at full capacity before we max the cap. but that's not at least until last mile copper is milked to death. when it comes to communications, canada is a horrible place to be. but at least we're not (insert name of country with worse communications than us here), right? we can always feel better about ourselves & try to look good by comparing what we have to a nation worse off than us.

we really need to get our shit together. our internet went from crippled to persistent vegetative state.

I just got a notice from Teksavvy in my email. The new prices with caps of 25 GB/month come into effect on March 1st. I am not happy right now.
I already signed the petition a while ago. I'm hoping that something will happen before March 1st, and this whole idea will go away.

I just got a notice from Teksavvy in my email. The new prices with caps of 25 GB/month come into effect on March 1st. I am not happy right now.
I already signed the petition a while ago. I'm hoping that something will happen before March 1st, and this whole idea will go away.

So you only have 25GB a month as of March 1st?! What do you have prior to this change? 25GB wouldn't last us a week. That's nuts, poor companies like Teksavvy are really caught in the middle here.

Teksavvy had two plans for DSL: Unlimited and 200GB. There both being shrunk to 25GB apparently. I'm not happy eithier.

Teksavvy had two plans for DSL: Unlimited and 200GB. There both being shrunk to 25GB apparently. I'm not happy eithier.

Interesting. I use Teksavvy and didn't know this could be coming at all. The email does state though the new caps are only for DSL so far. I have cable which is keeping the 200GB/Unlimited cap for now.

Interesting. I use Teksavvy and didn't know this could be coming at all. The email does state though the new caps are only for DSL so far. I have cable which is keeping the 200GB/Unlimited cap for now.

if rogers decides to implement UBB for resellers, like bell did, you could expect the same type of caps.

i don't get it. if you have a cap of 50GB, you'd be in favour of dividing that 50GB (splitting) between your computer, phone (voip), etc.? where is the benefit in that? that is already the status quo. do you mean split allotments or separate allotments?

The idea is that you have one pooled allotment. I would like that as my data use varies a lot between devices each month. Sometimes I use up several GB of data a month on my phone plan and other months almost none. Same with my computer. It is a bit easier than keeping track of two data plans independently. The more devices you have, the more it makes sense.

Back