News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 891     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 7.4K     9 

Museum Station

Passin through tonight, I saw a lot of the small lower panels installed.

I'm thinking that they have already or will soon put on the themed covers on the columns, but they will leave the boards up. They probably want to have a "reveal" type moment where they take down all the hoarding one morning and the politicians can cut a ribbon and get a photo op.

Looks like they did something on time. Had to be an outsider responsible for this project to have something on the TTC done on schedule.

Well to be fair, the lack of anything goign on at Museum Station really makes it easy to do things without disruption and delay

A lot of work can take place behind the hoarding during the day that has no impact on service and riders on the platform. They had crews on site when they took the ceiling down during the day.

All the material can be brought in after service stop for the next day work. Work on the walls has to take place at night.

2084708326_ce6a234997_b.jpg

2083922001_236366aaa7_b.jpg

2084705968_eb4ed15022_b.jpg

The new cladding on the walls has potential. Looks like faux stone. Much better than the puke green currently installed.

This station might even encourage people to get off to have a look when it's done.

The most recent (October '07) renderings of the Museum station transformation:

picture1mk2.png

picture2zf6.png

I'm relieved to see these. The previous renderings showed no improvement to the ceilings. In fact, the false ceilings were shown to be removed and the existing lights simply hanging.
These knew metal grid false ceilings and the lights really improve the overall look of the station. The rounded form also make the station feel less cramped and more airy.

It appears that the floors are redone also.

Nonetheless, it looks like lots of work still needs to be done though, looking at the photos taken by Drum.

St Patrick (AGO + OCAD) and Osgoode (Four Seasons Centre) are next, though money still needs to be raised for those.

Perhaps people here could share their ideas for these two stations. The original concepts for St Patrick and Osgoode were quite lacking. If we could compile some good ideas here, we could send it to TCF (Toronto Community Foundation) which is responsible for these projects.

I'd like to give that a shot for St. Patrick. Being associated with the AGO and OCAD nearby, arquitectural cues could be taken and transplanted to this station.
Taking advantage of St. Patrick's tube like curved ceiling and walls, I would love to see a ribbed wooden structure of faux pillars like the glulam beams supporting the AGO "sheild". The earthy colours of Museum's new tiles are proving to be a good match for underground environments.

In between these beams could be alternating displays of works by OCAD students ...Just no fake bombs please.

Some of the upright panels with the word Museum have been put up on the south-west end of the station. Its looking pretty good so far.

Thanks for posting the new renderings. The design looks less tacky than the renderings released earlier on in the project. I'm still concerned about how the station will age, and how it will stand up as a potential target for vandalism.

What's missing from the rendering is station furniture. Hopefully the cheap benches found at other subway stations will not make an appearance at this station. I'm sure the TTC can provide seating at this station that would fit with the theme of the station. Another idea would be to create seating that is integrated with TTC signage. (like the benches at Canary Wharf station)

Canary%20Wharf%20plat.jpg

Were those panels supposed to look like limestone or did they want to give that 80's carpet effect.

Also, is the word "Museum" in the ttc font? I noticed they finally did a decent job on the new St Clair lrt with the signage using the ttc font. Big sigh of relief.

Back