73     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 288     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 491     0 

Museum Station

M

MajorComplainer

Looks like they are renovating the station, to look like a museum? I remember I saw some pix before.

But so far, it seems like they are only fixing some part and leaving the rest the same way? If so, it's going to be one ugly thing...

Perhaps the renovation is being done in phases, which would make sense, and leave a lot less room for complaining, no?

There are signs on every sign of every pillar on the platform with an website to contact for information about the renovation.

On each pillar there's a tiny image of what each will look like when construction's through. It's largely Egyptian and Ancient Chinese themed sarcophaguses. If they're going to waste millions on this they may as well go ahead with a southernly exit for better linkage with U of T and removing the 'jail'.

I definitely agree with the southern entrance. A lot of people would use it, since it would be closest to most of U of T. One exit is also a safety hazard, so I'm surprised they can do a major renovation without bringing the place up to code.

the second exit will eventually be added, it's on the list of stations that require a second exit. it was initially envisioned as part of the tower that the ROM wanted to build, but since that's not happening, it has been pushed back.

the second exit will eventually be added, it's on the list of stations that require a second exit. it was initially envisioned as part of the tower that the ROM wanted to build, but since that's not happening, it has been pushed back.

but but but the aborted ROM tower would have been where the planetarium is now, which is where the north exit is - they would have expanded the mezzanine and made an underground connection to the museum along with the tower, but no southern exit.

if any new construction at the south end were to incorporate a new south exit, it would be the faculty of law. we know few details about that project yet, but nobody up to now has announced intentions of including a south exit along with it.

I've seen plans for an emergency-only exit that would emerge right next to the statue in Queen's Park. That seems like a pretty good spot for a second exit to me, making it equidistant from St. Mike's, the Law faculty, Hart House, etc.

I don't have a precise idea of the "footprint" of the station, but I doubt it extends as far south as the statue in Queen's Park. And I doubt that any exit would be incorporated into an extension of the law school, which I understand will be on the west side of the existing school.

Agreed that the "jail" should be removed, and an exit should simply be built up from that area to the sidewalk. Several of the subway stations are close to being firetraps, with only one exit, frequently with relatively narrow stairways to boot.

It definitely extends as far as the triangular island median north of the statue...it'd only take a very short tunnel to reach the park.

I've seen the plans, and the southern exit would be located near the site of the current air vent which is just to the south of the statue.

I think you're confusing people because when you say "the statue in Queen's Park" they think of King Whomever on the horse.

Back