253     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 330     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 945     1 

Multiple Victims of Shooting in Scarborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't think the media plays up certain areas especially when violence occurs, then you're out to lunch.

The media is not dumb. They use a lot of buzzwords and know what will appeal to their audience

There have been countless stories where Jane/Finch is mentioned, yet the incident happened nowhere near Jane/Finch. Same with Rexdale and other areas.

A crime may have been committed at Jane and a minor street but its acceptable to say Jane and Finch since those are the major streets around where a crime took place. I say i live at Keele and lawrence but i obviously do not live at the corner of those major streets. I live south 2 stoplights of Lawrence and then west a couple of streets from keele. But i will say Lawrence and keele cause those major streets people recognize and can visually map the area.
So you are out to lunch

That was in York.. d'oh!
Heh, you're right. :p It's not quite in Etobicoke yet.

P.S. In truth I had never gotten used to areas of York and East York. They always seemed to me to be "Toronto". Etobicoke, Scarborough, and North York just seemed easier to understand for some reason. I guess for Scarborough and Etobicoke at least, the borders are easier to remember.

Well, you gotta say this much: back when Jane Creba was shot, there was lots of talk about how it wouldn't have gotten such notice were it a black-on-black situation in Scarberia. Now, we've got one heck of a black-on-black situation in Scarberia, and it's the talk of the town--look, what are we supposed to do? Shove it under the carpet? Shove its location under a carpet?

And those of you who're hung up by the "dumping on Scarborough"--look, maybe underlying that so-called negative identity is the fact that Scarborough, still, a decade and a half post-amalgamation, has such a strong and positive self-identity. You know, a very active historical society, and all of that.

Something tells me that the hung-up-over-the-dumping-on-Scarborough bunch have, paradoxically, a very weak sense of Scarberian "identity", other than the usual rudimentary "the place they live", "the place they pay their taxes", etc. They probably wouldn't be able to identify the name "Doris McCarthy" without Googling...

Do you know how many of the victims were black? This is my issue. People ASSUME a lot of things.

I bet when you heard 2 people were murdered....you ASSUMED they were both black. You probably also ASSUMED that they were both "thugs" as well. This type of thought process is damaging.

This is not a black issue. This is a societal issue...and how can we grow as a city if we blame certain races for certain issues. But alas, only one group seems to be blamed time and time again. Since there's a lot of ignorance here...allow me to be ignorant to prove a point. Is pedophilia a white problem? What about teen suicide? Or drinking and driving? Meth?

The entire black community seems to always come under fire when a couple of idiots act up. But when biker gangs are shooting up houses, setting people on fire, etc...not a word. It's not a "white problem"...it's an individual issue. The mafia in Quebec was setting up hit after hit. No war on the mafia or "white" violence. What I'm getting at is yes, there are a number of murders that involve blacks...but the news tends to be more sensationalized when blacks are involved. Why?

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with Scarborough. It's comprised of many hard working minorities, but of course when some hear "minorities" they seem to think of something negative. A whole bunch of people talking about things they have little knowledge of.

A crime may have been committed at Jane and a minor street but its acceptable to say Jane and Finch since those are the major streets around where a crime took place. I say i live at Keele and lawrence but i obviously do not live at the corner of those major streets. I live south 2 stoplights of Lawrence and then west a couple of streets from keele. But i will say Lawrence and keele cause those major streets people recognize and can visually map the area.
So you are out to lunch

You give the media far too much credit. Joke's on you, I guess.

Yes there is but we refuse to accept because it makes us feel better to blame other races then our own.
The white mobsters and bikers in Montreal who burn down restos and shoot up bars are rarely mentioned on the news.

You and I must watch different news.

Do you know how many of the victims were black? This is my issue. People ASSUME a lot of things.

I bet when you heard 2 people were murdered....you ASSUMED they were both black. You probably also ASSUMED that they were both "thugs" as well. This type of thought process is damaging.
Here's the thing about assuming... it's usually based on a previously established pattern.

29 people have been killed in Toronto this year. 21 of them have been black. If you had to make an assumption on who the shooters were... ?

I don't know if you're posting on other forums and carrying their thought processes over here, but no one is suggesting that all black people are to blame for this shooting. Or that all black people are criminals. Efforts have been made to state the opposite, repeatedly - BUT - if you try to sweep under the rug the fact that a disproportionate number of shooting victims and their shooter happen to be black, and seemingly glorify a subset of 'modern black culture' where "guns and drugs and pimps and gangstas" are the role models - then yeah, people are going to use the term "black" to describe them and it's less about their actual color and more about their "culture".

Most people of varying black cultures or backgrounds understand the difference between being black by skin color and being black by culture.

Again - I need to be clear and agree with others that a very small number of people are involved here, but most do share common traits. If you hear in the news that a pedophile is moving into a neighborhood, you think middle aged white guy. When you hear about biker wars, you think white guys. When you hear about a grow up being busted, you might think Vietnamese. When you hear about 21 people (!) being shot up at a party, it's a fairly safe thing to assume the person was one of Toronto's thug/dealer/gangsta types, which are predominantly made up of young black men.

OK, so you think that process is damaging. If someone shoots up a party, I'm sorry, but referring to that person as a "thug" is a hands down safe bet description of that person. WTF else do you think a thug is, if not someone who carries a gun and shoots up a party?

Marko:

I don't know if you're posting on other forums and carrying their thought processes over here, but no one is suggesting that all black people are to blame for this shooting. Or that all black people are criminals. Efforts have been made to state the opposite, repeatedly - BUT - if you try to sweep under the rug the fact that a disproportionate number of shooting victims and their shooter happen to be black, and seemingly glorify a subset of 'modern black culture' where "guns and drugs and pimps and gangstas" are the role models - then yeah, people are going to use the term "black" to describe them and it's less about their actual color and more about their "culture".

As it has been noted umpteen times before, how does the use of the blanket term "black" or "modern black culture" (whatever that meant) help us understand the situation at hand? So are you saying that we or others should keep on doing so in spite of the fact that the terminology is a) absolutely meaningless and b) gives the wrong impression? Using the term thug or gangster, I have no problem with - but to knowingly lump everything as "black" while simultaneously declaring that's not what we meant is a case of talking from both sides of one's mouth.

Most people of varying black cultures or backgrounds understand the difference between being black by skin color and being black by culture.

What about those who aren't black? Would they be so kind to distinguish between the two, and react accordingly?

AoD

Last edited:
I think there is more of a correlation between crime and neighbourhood vs crime and race. These murders have very little to do with race. People are dying because of neighbourhood stigmas as opposed to cultural stigmas. These troubled neighbourhoods need help and blaming rap music isn't the answer.

I think there is more of a correlation between crime and neighbourhood vs crime and race. These murders have very little to do with race. People are dying because of neighbourhood stigmas as opposed to cultural stigmas. These troubled neighbourhoods need help and blaming rap music isn't the answer.

I think you have a point about neighbourhoods, since it appears that the perps came from outside the neighbourhood, and so did at least one of the victims.

Most outlets are saying "Lawrence Heights" actually.

It also marks the third time this week that someone has been shot dead in Toronto, after a soccer-field death in Etobicoke on Tuesday and Monday’s Danzig St. shootings.

It's Etobicoke and North York that are being targeted by the media quite clearly!1!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back