News   Jul 12, 2024
 651     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 635     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 286     0 

MoveOntario 2020

What I'm a little confused about is their plan to pay it off over 50 years or whatever. Can they do that?

That's how they do it all the time in the federal and provincial budgets. It just means for 50 years they'll have to set aside a billion or so a year to pay it off. + interest of course.

Odd that the only subways on the list are into York Region. The Scarborough Subway, the Sheppard Subway and the Eglinton Subway are all higher priority in my humble opinion. And the Dundas LRT shuld be subway.

York is the only municipality that has pushed for subways. Toronto and Mississauga have both said no to subways, preferring streetcars and busways respectively.

York is the only municipality that has pushed for subways. Toronto and Mississauga have both said no to subways, preferring streetcars and busways respectively.

Why not aim big?

i wish we were Madrid, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrid_metro

Theyre the same size as us. And when they build subways they build them to the burbs. I guess thats what you get for having the city act on par as a province.

Some thoughts...

16 New GO rail line on the Havelock line from Agincourt to Pickering

This line cuts directly through the airport lands.

32 Hamilton east-west rapid transit on King/Main Streets from Eastgate Mall to McMaster University
33 Hamilton north-south rapid transit on James/Upper James Streets from Rymal Road to King Street
51 Durham rapid transit line on Highway 2 from Oshawa to Pickering

What would be meant by rapid transit line? Bus? Light Rail? Or do they just not know yet?

East Waterfront rapid transit is not mentioned.

46 VIVA Yonge Street from Steeles Avenue to Highway 7 (Langstaff)
47 VIVA Yonge Street from Highway 7 (Langstaff) to 19th Avenue in Richmond Hill
48 VIVA Yonge Street from 19th Avenue to Newmarket
49 VIVA Highway 7 from Highway 50 to Yonge Street (Langstaff)
50 VIVA Highway 7 from Yonge Street (Langstaff) to Cornell

Not sure if these signify transitways or light rail transit. 46 and 48 are white, while the others are yellow. In the rest of the plan, it seems yellow was already planned while white signified new plans... I don't know much about VIVA but I figure this signifies transitways??

Eastern Waterfront is funded by the TWRC and in the EA design stages.

Cherry St LRT from King St to the railroad underpass to be in operation by 2009-10. Will have an 18 meter radius loop that will connect with the Queens Quay Line.

Queens Quay LRT will be in Operation by 2010-14 depending on how much work and time is needed to rebuilt Union Station as well relocate the portal. Also, it well be held up by the West 8 design as what every happens in the west has to be the same in the east.

Open House on June 21 at the Novotel Hotel , 45 The Esplanade starting at 6.00 pm.

The current EA that has been approve calls for an line on the Lake Shore as well Commissioner St, Unwin, Lesile St, the balance of Cherry St and the Boardview extension.

Some lines are up in the area as to what they will be as not enough study has been done yet.

DRT should be an LRT from day one. Same goes for the Hamilton.

wow...

Herewith my reactions:

First of all, this is a tremendous step forward and if even half of these initiatives get finished things will have progressed by leaps and bounds. But I have a few concerns...first, there is simply no way that these can be completed by 2020 without massive overhaul of the EA process--many of the biggest projects here have never had an EA done, or have them expired. For example a crosstown GO service--did GO even know that this was coming? There is certainly no valid EA for that. I would love to see that line electrified to create a de facto S-Bahn, with lots of intermediate stops in the city.

The City of Toronto should be kicking itself for not including an east-west downtown LRT tunnel in Transit City, since it would no doubt have been funded. Perhaps it's not too late to 'amend' transit city with a King or Queen LRT tunnel, with the city offering a 1/3 share as a sweetener.

A look at the map illustrates the strange obsession with NW Scarborough--it's practically solid red up there.

All in all, though, this is huge announcement--it will be very, very hard for Harper not to step in with the federal portion, since McGuinty has--wisely--spread the projects around a huge number of ridings, many of them ripe targets for the federal Tories.

McGuinty has--wisely--spread the projects around a huge number of ridings, many of them ripe targets for the federal Tories.

True. It would be interesting to know if there have been any discussions at all between the province and feds regarding this proposal, or whether it is being sprung on Ottawa as a bit of a surprise. (Hope it's not the latter; that might not meet with the friendliest reception in Ottawa.)

I won't hold my breath waiting for funding of all of these projects. Let's remember the number of proposals which have come and gone over the years, announced and reannounced with great fanfare and then left to slip quietly underwater. But if even half get built, as allabootmatt quite correctly suggests, it would be a great big leap forward for the GTA.

I don't think Queen's Park would be stupid enough not to have given a head's up to Ottawa on this, and gotten a feel for the reception there. That's more the kind of mistake City Hall would make...

Nevertheless, all these random disparate projects really make the whole thing seem piecemeal and uncoordinated. I agree with whoever said they just took every city's plans and 'approved' them. What should be done is the network looked at as a whole and go from there. Where should subways go? Where the highest population is. i.e. downtown Toronto and the rest of the city of Toronto.

McGuinty and the Liberals announced funding for the MoveOntario projects. The whole plan will then go to the GTTA (if the Liberals are reelected) who will determine the best way to implement the projects in the plan. I'm hoping they'll smooth out the "piecemeal" feeling the plan has that you refer to and make it a real comprehensive whole.

I don't understand the Hwy 7 extension at this point. Wouldn't it be more efficient to extend the Sheppard and save the $500 million+ by not building the Shepard East LRT line?

Finch to Highway 7 is probably the best subway extension there is by many standards - it will get scores of buses off Yonge, have a built-in ridership, serve the only part of York Region that has reasonable density (though Markham is working on it). I think Sheppard though has to go to Victoria Park at the minimum though - it, not Don Mills, is the logical interim terminus, and should be a high priority now that Sheppard is built. Finch was the logical northern termimus in 1974, when it opened, and remained that way for a long time.

Sheppard East, if built as is, will have the problem of forcing a transfer at a bad location, and another at Sheppard-Yonge if one wants to get to the Spadina-Sorbara line.

Odd that the only subways on the list are into York Region.
By length of track, Toronto is actually receiving the most subway construction. About 70% of the Spadina extension is in Toronto, while 33% of the Yonge extension is in Toronto. As they are essentially the same length, Toronto gets just over 50% of the new subway that was announced.

As many have already pointed out, this plan comprises essentially every proposal that every municipality is seriously pushing for. At best, municipal support for an Eglinton subway, downtown relief line, and Queen subway fizzled away decades ago, while the City is oddly silent about the Sheppard extension. Like the other regions, Toronto got exactly what it asked for, which in our case means funding for streetcars.

The only people Toronto can thank for the new heavy rail planned for the city are those running GO for the new crosstown route, and planners in York Region for spearheading the Yonge and Spadina extensions. If left up to Toronto's elected officials, Toronto would get nothing but the odd streetcar line here or there. So typical of this city.

What's rather queer is how a few years ago not much new funding was being announced and we started paying for health care. The Liberals justified broken election promises with the fact that we have a 6 billion dollar deficit. Now there's a massive 17 billion dollar project announced. It's a project that is needed as an investment in livability and economic productivity. It does leave me wondering how many years until another Mike Harris type is elected and starts slashing every spending program.

What's rather queer is how a few years ago not much new funding was being announced and we started paying for health care. The Liberals justified broken election promises with the fact that we have a 6 billion dollar deficit. Now there's a massive 17 billion dollar project announced. It's a project that is needed as an investment in livability and economic productivity. It does leave me wondering how many years until another Mike Harris type is elected and starts slashing every spending program.

hey,

it's here

it's queer

get used to it (the funding)

:D

While I welcome the fact money is being spent on transit I am a little disturbed by the fact that there is no planning behind the plan other than deciding to fund all the municipalities flavour of the day. What is the point of this GTTA is there is no plan? The problem I see with what is going to happen is that in 20 years the money will be spent and people will be crammed onto LRTs in Toronto and spreading out, reading the paper, and having a coffee on the quiet and not heavily used Barrie or Havelock Express.

Back