News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 882     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

MoveOntario 2020

Mayor Eisenberger supports LRT, been quoted many times before, in fact he personally pushed for Rapid Transit Office instead of BRT Office. The Mayor is even a member on a facebook group for LRT in Hamilton.

There’s a meeting tonight to discuss LRT for the future, hence why the website came out today, and the Mayor will be attending along with a few councillors.

Chances are we'll likely to see LRT for Eastgate to McMaster, or streetcars not BRT, might as well with $400 million.

The Eastgate-McMaster route is the one that makes the most sense for LRT in the short term (I wouldn't mind seeing an extension to Dundas though). James Street/Upper Wentworth might be better off with improved bus services (perhaps quasi-BRT like Viva or Acceleride) in the short-to-medium term as ridership isn't as strong as the current Route 1/10 corridor yet - plus on the Mountain, the trip generators are much more spread out - Mohawk, Limeridge, etc, and more suburban.

I knew Eisenberger was more in favour of LRT (good for him) but is council and the bureaucracy on board? Given the nasty city/suburban politics there, perhaps the money will be stretched thin for quasi-BRT everywhere that wants it and no LRT at all.

All urban councillors (including Mountain councillors) will likely support LRT with Stoney Creek and Dundas councillors as well, Eastgate next door to Stoney Creek and Dundas will get a good boost with LRT to McMaster. So that's a majority plus the Mayor.

But before the vote we'll likely see new ward boundaries to better reflect the population base. Council have supported the idea to boosting council size last week. In a 10-4 vote, council approved hiring a consultant to review changing ward boundaries based upon population densities in order to give residents a stronger voice at City Hall. Council now consists of eight councillors from old Hamilton and seven councillors from the five former suburban municipalities, plus a mayor elected at large. The Hamilton eight represent about 330,000 people. The suburban seven represent about 175,000. That's why you get all these stupid nasty city/suburban politics, it's time to end it. Why did amalgamation for Toronto not have this stupid setup but Hamilton did?

I must say, that Hamilton LRT plan looks pretty awesome. I would have attended that meeting had I known about it ahead of time, but alas, it seems to be starting right now and I live at Gage and Mohawk. :(

The major problem with putting an LRT on the Hamilton Mountain is space constraints. The only corridor that can be easily converted to LRT is the Linc, however there is no potential for development there. Of the other three options (Fennel, Mohawk, Stone Church), any LRT would narrow the road to one car lane in each direction. Since everyone drives here, the NIMBYism would be off the wall and public pressure would likely halt any progress. I sure don't care about lack of room for cars, but most of the rest of the city would.

Besides that, even proposing LRT on Stone Church is absurd. Take a look on Google Maps. Empty fields and low-density subdivisions. There is literally nothing east of west of Winterberry until Upper Ottawa, from there to Wellington is low density single family, from there to Garth is a few houses and an expanse of fields (no doubt slated for more subdivisions), one more block of low density, then nothing until the Meadowlands. Honestly, including Stone Church as a possibility wasn't that great an idea, even with an "if you build it, they will come" mentality in place. Something tells me that people won't exactly be jumping at the chance to live in a condo on the outskirts of the city surrounded by nothing to do.

I would greatly support LRT along Fennel or Mohawk because, though there isn't much density, at least the population is consistent and not car-oriented subdivisions. On top of that, there is some existing low and high rise development. For example, on Mohawk, west of Upper Gage, west of Upper Sherman, East 16th to Dodson, Upper James, and east of Magnolia. Fennel is similar. I realize that isn't exactly amazing density, but it could serve as the precursor to better things. An LRT would kick start that.

Anyway, those are my views on a Hamilton Mountain LRT.

This is fantastic news. Hamilton's almost as obvious a place for LRT as Kitchener-Waterloo. McMaster to Eastgate seems probably like the best initial route. I also think that a route from downtown up the mountain would be an excellent, if much more expensive, second phase. It's important that the LRT connect with the GO train. With all-day GO service, it could really work for tying central Hamilton into the GTA, which is probably the city's best hope these days.

With all these new LRTs, it would be nice if our trains had distinctive design elements beyond the iconic colours. Most likely though, every system will have one of two designs.

Why should large clusters of people like Bathurst & Steeles or Warden & Finch be served with better transit when there's residents of a few crescents of detached homes backing onto the Rouge Park that so desperately need many hundreds of millions of dollars spent on them in the form of a Morningside line that doesn't go anywhere?

I don't think the TTC's looking at it from a population perspective. Their rationale is that while Bathurst/Steeles and Warden/Finch will be relatively close to the new subway extensions (Yonge North and Sheppard East), no one east of Markham Rd. will have that luxury. If we only judge things by how they appear in the here and now, there never would've been a subway through the forests of Hogg's Hollow, today one of Toronto's most affluent business and residential neighbourhoods.

Looks light a very good advocacy website by an amateur group pushing for light rail, while the city is more interested in BRT, as I recall.

I give them credit for at least trying. The lethargy Torontonians show towards revitalizing their city core via new high order transit is appalling.

I don't think the TTC's looking at it from a population perspective. Their rationale is that while Bathurst/Steeles and Warden/Finch will be relatively close to the new subway extensions (Yonge North and Sheppard East), no one east of Markham Rd. will have that luxury. If we only judge things by how they appear in the here and now, there never would've been a subway through the forests of Hogg's Hollow, today one of Toronto's most affluent business and residential neighbourhoods.
I'm upset that there's no subway here in Cobourg. After all, we can't only judge things by how they appear in the here and now. It's unfair that only Toronto residents have access to the subway when nobody east of Durham will have that luxury.

I'm upset that there's no subway here in Cobourg. After all, we can't only judge things by how they appear in the here and now. It's unfair that only Toronto residents have access to the subway when nobody east of Durham will have that luxury.

My point is that, like it or not, Scarborough's not the bastard cousin of the 416, it IS the 416 too. Streetcar lines NOT subway lines are most appropriate to reach Morningside, if not a wince further. Every current subway and streetcar line has at least two pockets of low density and none really terminate anywhere of substantial worth (Downsview cornfields unto Vaughn cornfileds, Finch [Hydro Corridor], Kipling/Kennedy sprawl). If land usage and population were the only criterion for subway building there'd be several downtown lines by now that never went past Dufferin or Coxwell, Queens Quay or Lawrence.

It will be interesting to see how hard Jim Bradley pushes the file along as the new Minister of Transportation - announcement should come at 2:03. The GTTA had a very good working relationship with Donna Cansfield who is apparently moving onto MNR.

My point is that, like it or not, Scarborough's not the bastard cousin of the 416, it IS the 416 too. Streetcar lines NOT subway lines are most appropriate to reach Morningside, if not a wince further. Every current subway and streetcar line has at least two pockets of low density and none really terminate anywhere of substantial worth (Downsview cornfields unto Vaughn cornfileds, Finch [Hydro Corridor], Kipling/Kennedy sprawl). If land usage and population were the only criterion for subway building there'd be several downtown lines by now that never went past Dufferin or Coxwell, Queens Quay or Lawrence.

I agree that some of the current subway lines end sort of in the middle of nowhere. That's because they don't go far enough. Hundreds of thousands of people live further north on Yonge. Over a million live west of Kipling. Scarborough Town Centre is the glaringly obvious terminus for the Danforth line. Out by Morningside, what is there beyond there? A giant park, and farmers' fields.

Out by Morningside, what is there beyond there? A giant park, and farmers' fields

He has a point Ajax and Pickering are way too small to have any real transit use in anyway...

Brampton and Mississauga combined is the population of Calgary.

It's worse than that: People from Pickering or Ajax would never go all the way north to Malvern. They'd stick to the Lakeshore and use the excellent GO service.

Along those lines, why bother bringing good transit to Peel or York regions at all - or to much of Toronto itself - when we should be worrying about the unbuilt Seaton subdivisions?

Back