News   Jul 12, 2024
 855     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 768     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

MoveOntario 2020

*nods in agreement to everything Unimaginative posted*

I think one of the greatest things that could be done to make MCC "urban" would be to give the locals something worth walking to on a continual basis... like a rail station. Buses are fine and all, but people expect buses to come to them, not for them to go to the buses.

And yeah, a Kitchener-Guelph-Brampton-Meadowvale-MCC-ECC-Toronto route could be extremely popular, albeit a little twisty. Also worth noting that the Milton line runs in to the GO Midtown line, making for easy connections from MCC to all across Toronto and up to Markham.

Seriously, though, I think that if they're going to make the investment into a triple-tracking of the whole route, they'll be introducing at least Lakeshore-level service.

They're triple tracking parts of Lakeshore, which has hourly all day service, more so they can squeeze more rush hour trains at once. I agree, if they triple track the line they can get away with Lakeshore-level service, but it is not guaranteed one bit.

Georgetown is getting triple tracked most of the way from Bramalea to Mount Pleasant (with the gauntlet in DT Brampton going to two tracks from one), but this will only mean perhaps a few more trips split into express and local, and extension of the "all-day" service from Bramalea. Even the original EA for the south end (the same EA as for Boondoggle 22) didn't call for hourly off-peak GO service - all the capacity was for SNC Lavalin's trains.

This is why even if GO triple-tracks Milton, and even if hourly service is more than warranted (which it is), it might not even happen for a long time after the project is finished.

The CP line is heavily used by frieght as is the CN Georgetown line starting at the 407 and ending in Georgetown. On those segments in order to provide service equal to what exists on Lakeshore now I would expect four tracks would be required in parts. Lakeshore with two tracks in points only works the schedule it has now due to the three track segments where trains can pass and the fact VIA services aren't all that frequent. There is almost no frieght traffic on the Lakeshore line. With three tracks on the Milton line they could probably run one train back and forth on the line all day in addition to the current rush hour services. Based on the trip time to Milton of 55 minutes it would end up being service every two hours unless they put in a four track segment around Cooksville station so trains could pass going opposite directions without interfering with the frieght.

Interesting to note that most of the bridges in Mississauga on the line are already built to handle an additional track and since there is already a three track segment near Cooksville one additional track along the whole route (making it four just west of Cooksville) would give the line all that it needs for Lakeshore style service.

Interesting to note that most of the bridges in Mississauga on the line are already built to handle an additional track and since there is already a three track segment near Cooksville one additional track along the whole route (making it four just west of Cooksville) would give the line all that it needs for Lakeshore style service.

Hey! Someone was thinking ahead for once!

That's great to hear! The Milton line is so dumbfoundingly obvious, it has the potential of being the Mississauga Metro, serving more of the city than any other single line could.

You do realize that metro is another name for subway right?

Yes and no. Metro, as used in the United States particularly, refers to rail rapid transit, be it subway, real LRT, etc. The Milton Line doesn't necessarily mean "subway" it means real rapid transit, even in the form on S-Bahnesque regional rail.

I'm telling you, I've checked and this track improvement is for all-day service. I really don't think that more than three tracks would be required for Lakeshore-level service. The freight railways of course demand massive track improvements for minimal improvements in passenger service. Why wouldn't they? They get them for free. Three tracks gives more than enough space for passenger trains to operate and pass freights in either direction.

Yes and no. Metro, as used in the United States particularly, refers to rail rapid transit, be it subway, real LRT, etc. The Milton Line doesn't necessarily mean "subway" it means real rapid transit, even in the form on S-Bahnesque regional rail.

I've never seen the term metro refer to suburban rail. In most European systems, they never use subway, they use metro. Montreal and Washington DC use metro as well but here we call it subway.

Whatever the case, it would be confusing to use the term metro when subway is already in common use here.

You do realize that metro is another name for subway right?

Fully aware. Used that term for the fun of alliteration. Guess the only difference in the terms is that "subway" at least implies underground, while "Metro" (named after London's Metropolitan Railway company) makes no such implication.

What I'm saying is that it has the potential to be a Mississauga "subway", designed to serve Mississauga's needs. Not an extension of Toronto's subway, which is limited in its ability to serve the large city of Mississauga with its 700,000 people and commutershed stretching across Peel, Halton, Toronto, and beyond.

I remember reading that the EA was being done for Milton to be triple-tracked. I think it's about time. Let's get the third track built already. It's very much needed.

They don't want to see the street being dug up for VIVA phase 2 then dug up again for a subway extension, and I don't blame them.

Cooksville station will support 4 tracks with a platform on the south side. Retaining wall will have to be built on the north side for the new #1 track.

Milton CPR ROW will NOT support 4 tracks in most places and to put in the 4th track will require buying buildings and land along the route between Cooksville and Erindale Station Rd and Dixie and Dundas.

You will have to add a bridge on both side Hurontatio St bridge and add on to other bridges for that 4th track.

Getting under Erin Mill bridge for the 4th track is an issue.

From Eglington Ave west there is room to put in a 4th track as well east of Dixie.

The Lakeshore will support 4 tracks for the full length from Aldershot to Toronto, but will have some impact on the yard. 6 tracks can be use from GO yard to Bathurst St and in some spots you can have a 7th track.

From GO yard to Brownline you will have to buy some land and move sidings.

From Brownline to Brant St in Burlington you can have 4 tracks. Between Brownline and Port Credit, you can get up to 6 tracks in many spots, but more like 5.

In all my EA reports and reports to MTO, I have call for 2 tracks for GO only so they could operate independent of the RR's.

Brampton Station will only support 3 tracks unless you close of the south side street and you can put in that 4th track else where.

The crosstown line will support 4 tracks, but servicing the industries on both sides will be an issue. Going through Lampton yard is another issue and this will require buying up land along the south side so GO is on the south side of the yard.

Getting east of CP main yard will be an issue and will require 5 lead tracks into it.

I wish there was a new subway in this plan for downtown Toronto. I think a King st subway would be best!

Back