News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

I find most pictures of Toronto from that decade make downtown look more suburban than Mississauga does today. There was at least as much surface parking lots.

No kidding:

colour.jpg

colour2.jpg

No kidding:

colour.jpg

colour2.jpg

yikes--those are ALWAYS the most disturbing shots of postwar Toronto out there...especially since those streets used to look like this...

No. 27-29 Wellington Street, east of Scott Street (Royal Insurance Company Building) - 1919:

b6524e91.jpg

Wellington and Scott streets, northwest corner - 1919:

8332b5dc.jpg

Ontario Bank, 34 Wellington Street East at Scott Street - [ca. 1909]

13ae8418.jpg

(i know we've down this road before with this particular neck of the Toronto woods: urban value of Berczy Park etc....so call me masochistic....)

St. Lawrence could have been our "little London" had it been preserved. As nice as the area is today, it would have been infinitely better had the horrid, insensitive blockbusting of the 50's to the 70's never occurred.

WOW I never felt old till I saw those Yonge st shots, thats the Yonge I remember as a kid, how distant it feels now.
And those shots of St. Lawrence are truly horrific, what the area could really have been. The city fathers of the era, if still alive should hang their heads in shame.

Ah, City Nights posters. Real relics of the pre-alt-weekly/cityblog era...

i was thinking that as well!

talk about "pre-digital": weekly event listings encased in brutalist monoliths---boy that's some old school analog thing they got going on there....

Although for what they are, said monoliths are elegant enough--definite "street furniture with pretensions" (and it also seems, an early addressing of the flyers-on-poles issue)

Although for what they are, said monoliths are elegant enough--definite "street furniture with pretensions" (and it also seems, an early addressing of the flyers-on-poles issue)

no i like them too...i also remember them being handy things to duck behind to 'light a smoke' on windy days, back in the days when people did such things....

Looking north west from Front St and Market St. The large parking lot is now the Market Square condominium development. That was completed in 1984, so this is late 1970's/very early 80's?

s1465_fl0031_id0007.jpg

Looking north west from Front St and Market St. The large parking lot is now the Market Square condominium development. That was completed in 1984, so this is late 1970's/very early 80's?

s1465_fl0031_id0007.jpg

A great view of my future home!

Back