News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 455     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

yes---i know, i posted the photos, and i started the thread. i also have spent a great deal of time looking for interesting materials to post on my threads.

my somewhat tongue in cheek post is actually in response to you being sarcastic about another forumer posting on MY thread. Long Island Mike has a very specific and interesting role here with his vast knowledge of license plates and cars, and i always welcome his input. given that, its not really up to you to respond to one of his posts with a sarcastic "OK, thanks for clearing up that."

if you want to be sarcastic about the contributions of other forumers, please start your own threads. if you do it on mine, i will always call you out. sorry, its just my policy.
Actually, that reply of mine ("OK, thanks for clearing up that.") was decidedly not meant to be sarcastic, however you construed it. That response was completely sincere.
I am not one to start problems unless someone starts them with me. I try to be courteous at all times until someone is discourteous with me, at which point all bets are off. On the internet, intentions are not always clear because one doesn't have the advantage of face-to-face communication, where voice volume, inflection, and facial expressions and physical movement can be used to gauge a person's posture. Hence, although I try to avoid using emoticons, perhaps they are necessary for people who see maliciousness in every post.

Actually, that reply of mine ("OK, thanks for clearing up that.") was decidedly not meant to be sarcastic, however you construed it. That response was completely sincere.
I am not one to start problems unless someone starts them with me. I try to be courteous at all times until someone is discourteous with me, at which point all bets are off. On the internet, intentions are not always clear because one doesn't have the advantage of face-to-face communication, where voice volume, inflection, and facial expressions and physical movement can be used to gauge a person's posture. Hence, although I try to avoid using emoticons, perhaps they are necessary for people who see maliciousness in every post.

ok, i understand--my mistake. thank you for taking the time to respond in a serious manner.

I actually think it's a little further east on the other side of Cherry St--the map you post is Sackville & Eastern, but my guess is Lower Sumach & Eastern.

Still, I would have expected to see the Canary Restraunt building at Front & Eastern, or some of the Distillery buildings on the horizon.

The area in the photo looks too high traffic to be anywhere on the Portlands.
I moved west on Eastern because at Sumach that big storage building is blocking everything. I was trying to establish if the area at least looked like the one in the photo, which it does.
I guess the only way to solve the mystery is if someone recognizes the factory in the background with the rather unique smockstacks. In another of the fire pictures there was a large chimney visible off to the side. That would be another clue to location.

ok, i understand--my mistake. thank you for taking the time to respond in a serious manner.
OK, thank you and cheers.:) I don't mean to monopolize your picture thread with this trivial question, but I was certain, given the quick IDs in the "What Street Is This?" thread, that forumers would swiftly have this location pinned down.

I think it's in Etobicoke, as Strange Advance originally suggested, because:
1) it's close to a residential area - based on all the kids on their bikes
2) there are apartment buildings in the background
3) the photographer lived in Etobicoke

Maybe somewhere in the North Queen st area?

I think it's in Etobicoke, as Strange Advance originally suggested, because:
1) it's close to a residential area - based on all the kids on their bikes
2) there are apartment buildings in the background
3) the photographer lived in Etobicoke

Maybe somewhere in the North Queen st area?
Good point. In the Portlands, I don't think there would be as many casual observers as are pictured in the one shot.

There are a few demolished buildings on Wikipedia that have articles, but do not have any photos:

Bayview Ghost (demolished 1981)
Lord Simcoe Hotel (demolished 1981)
St. James-Bond Church (demolished 2006)
Uptown Theatre (demolished 2003)
Maple Leaf Mills Silos (demolished 1983)
St. George Graduate Residence (demolished 2002)
Greenwood Raceway (demolished 1994)

For really old buildings there are public domain photos, and for very recent ones there are usually copyleft ones, but for this era it is much harder to find good pictures that are under a free license. If anyone has any they are willing to upload to the wiki, or knows anyone who might be, it would be great to get these parts of our history better documented.

Hi All,

First post! Taken by my father sometime in the 70's. Yonge and ???. The rare Metro Toronto Police Ford Pinto.

PolicePinto.jpg

Looking south on Bay St at Dundas Street West, circa 1975. First Canadian Place is still under construction and hoading for the start of Eaton Centre construction is up.

IMG_0080.jpg

Gold medal to colbyb for his first post - the Toronto Police Ford Pinto! On a sadder note look at the nice building to the right of it that was removed for the Eaton Centre.

Said "nice building" was none other than Eaton's itself.

Was that the beginning of "To serve and protect" + shield being emblazoned on the side of police cars?

I find it kinda sad that Toronto looks more important and established in some older photos than it does now.

the Police Pinto looks kind of dorky there, but the problem lies mostly with the wheels. ok...the colour is also a bit 'arresting'...
but it was actually kind of a cool looking car if it was approached in the right way...

be521f25.jpg

I find most pictures of Toronto from that decade make downtown look more suburban than Mississauga does today. There was at least as much surface parking lots.

Back