4.8K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 445     4 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 551     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Toronto the Good:

CityHalllate60s002.jpg

That page posted by thedeepend is also a great artifact of what must have been a very exciting time for Toronto. It's strange how it presents a mix of what we today regard as progressive and what progressives cringe at. For instance, it boasts of one in four Metro residents (that includes the new suburban areas, of course) living in an apartment with more new towers going up, as well as an expanding subway network. Yet it also boasts of an expanding network of expressways centering on downtown.

Wow! That deepend would have been perfect for that ERA Concrete Toronto book.
I must say, I'm currently being sold on concrete myself - if only for the fact that I'm currently in the market for quieter digs.

Speaking of which (slightly off topic), anyone here live in a concrete building? I never have. Is the noise reduction from adjacent units really what its cracked-up to be?

Wow! That deepend would have been perfect for that ERA Concrete Toronto book.
I must say, I'm currently being sold on concrete myself - if only for the fact that I'm currently in the market for quieter digs.

Speaking of which (slightly off topic), anyone here live in a concrete building? I never have. Is the noise reduction from adjacent units really what its cracked-up to be?

Virtually every tall residential building in the city is a concrete building (floors and structure).

Too often, the experiences of those living in Toronto's high-rise apartment buildings are ignored, especially those buildings in the suburbs. Some even assume that there is no density in suburban Toronto (an assumption often heard in transit debates), yet some of the densest areas in the city can be found among these communities of high-rise apartments. The red brick bay-and-gable Victorian is an iconic part of Toronto, but what about the brown brick or glazed brick rental tower from the 1960s or 1970s? It's ubiquitous in the city, to a degree not found in other North American cities.

That's why I'm interested in the NFB's project Highrise, which aims to explore the experiences and diverse backgrounds of Torontonians and people in other cities who call these towers home.

Last edited:
What about the length of the ladder on the N/E corner!

Regards,
J T

Bay looking north:

baynorth-1.jpg

beautiful colour in that one--very painterly...
the design of the street cars seems somewhat anachronistic, as they are very much a part of an earlier era. when one looks at the roundness of the auto designs, you realize that the Red Rocket can't be very far away...

beautiful colour in that one--very painterly...
the design of the street cars seems somewhat anachronistic, as they are very much a part of an earlier era. when one looks at the roundness of the auto designs, you realize that the Red Rocket can't be very far away...

Yeah, interesting that it's all Peter Witt cars in that photo (unless anything in the far background is otherwise). Also noteworthy in the bottom left is an acorn sign (when were they introduced?)

From the Jarvis CI website (http://schools.tdsb.on.ca/jarvisci/toronto/tormap.htm):

York 1804 by Elizabeth Francis Francis Hale:

yrk_1804.jpg

"On the left are the houses of several prominent government officials, including Peter Russell , Dr. W.W. Baldwin and William Allan. Toward the right of the scene, just above the ship, is the town blockhouse with its flag. To the left of the blockhouse were the first parliament buildings of Upper Canada, burned in 1813 by the Americans."

The War of 1812:

yorkwar.jpg

""The flotilla of the enemy." Painting by Owen Staples (1866 - 1949): American ships just west of the entrance to York's harbour, guarded by Gibraltar Point to the south (right) and Fort York. Drifting smoke on the shore marks the Western Battery."

tor1812.jpg

Map illustrating events of American invasion of York (Toronto) during War of 1812.

"Over a dozen American ships, more than 1,700 soldiers defeated the defenders and burnt parts of the town (population 640). The Americans lost 300 men, many in the shattering explosion of the magazine at the fort, while the British lost 62 and had 76 wounded. When the invaders withdrew, they took the ceremonial mace from the Legislature of Upper Canada, a symbol of fealty to the Crown. It was returned in 1934."

Views of Toronto Bay by George A. Reid (1880's):

painting-toronto-lakeW.jpg

73_4.jpg

Finally, I think I've posted this painting before but it's worth another viewing (forget the name of the artist):

977-44-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back