News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.8K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 429     4 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 548     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Just looking at the messages within my own postcard collection lead me to believe that postcards were used more like we use email today (especially with two mail deliveries a day).

Here are some examples:

From a 1928 postcard of the Queen's Hotel to Dayton USA:

"Aug 29 Toronto Ont
Dear Mother
Arrived here OK. Have had breakfast & will leave at 10:30 for Muskoka Lake. Feeling fine. With love, Anne"

From a 1914 postcard of Sick Children's Hospital to Hamilton:

"Am in Canada's Chicago. Gerald"

From a 1908 postcard of the Trader Bank Building to Burlington:

"Sept 20 West Toronto

Dear Ida
We received your card when we came home yesterday. Hope Byron is better by now. We were in Brantford for a week. Bill's brother was killed in the explosion which you would have seen in the paper. Hope you are all well. With love, Annie"

From a 1906 postcard of St. George Street to Quincy Mass.:

"Christmas greetings from the city of your relations. From [illegible]"

Last edited:
thedeepend, those ttc vehicle pictures are sublime. Thank goodness for the "trainspotters" that took the pictures and had the farsightedness to preserve them digitally. And thanks for posting them. :)

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

:

thedeepend, those ttc vehicle pictures are sublime. Thank goodness for the "trainspotters" that took the pictures and had the farsightedness to preserve them digitally. And thanks for posting them. :)

thank you Mustapha! its interesting how, with the passage of time, these images of public transportation end up standing for so much more. the in situ image of the streetcar, bus etc, becomes part of a larger picture of the city and its streets at a certain moment in time...

Further to my posting on "Evocative Images" here are some colour shots of the Gooderham & Worts 1976 Dinner Dance at Casa Loma:

gwa.jpg

gwb.jpg

gwc.jpg

gwd.jpg

gwe.jpg

gwh.jpg

gwf.jpg

gwg.jpg

^
The old Shell/Bulova tower was an unfortunate loss to the skyline, imo.

Something very "Toronto" to me about a big digital clock tower.

9a61a132.gif

An East End View of York (Toronto) Upper Canada in 1810.

Description: Watercolour over pencil with ruled border of pencil and grey wash on heavy wove paper.

Inscription: Former (original) mat inscribed in pen & ink, b.: An East End View of York (Toronto) Upper Canada in 1810. / Showing the Block House destroyed in 1813 at Entrance of Little Don River. / now Site of Gooderham's Distillery.

Creator: Grier, Sir Edmund Wyly (1862-1957), LENEY, WILLIAM SATCHWELL, (1769-1831)

Back