News   Jul 11, 2024
 5K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 587     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 623     1 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Deepend: Good 60s pictures above (July 10th) - during the construction of TD Centre in the first pic with Commerce Court in the background (note the red Ford Mustang next to the TTC PCC streetcar)and a neat blue sky...
The second pic I believe is 60s also - I believe the logo on the trash receptacle's cover is the Canada Centennial 1867-1967 "leaf"...and I found the different light poles interesting...
LI MIKE

About 35 years ago, this PCC streetcar was in business at the NW corner ofSteeles Ave. East and Warden.

PCCstreetcar.jpg

There's one here too.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4006.shtml

I wonder what the origin of those black street lights found in the CBD was. In the photo above they seem to have appeared only on the side of the T-D Centre. Today, King has the lights on both sides of the street, but there are streets in the CBD with the black lights and the curved arm design.

I'd also like to know the story of the distinctive curved arm street lights that are so common in urban Toronto with their white light. They're ubiquitous and when you see a photo or video clip with those street lights, you know it's a Toronto scene. But there's no information online about them.

I wonder what the origin of those black street lights found in the CBD was. In the photo above they seem to have appeared only on the side of the T-D Centre. Today, King has the lights on both sides of the street, but there are streets in the CBD with the black lights and the curved arm design.

I'd also like to know the story of the distinctive curved arm street lights that are so common in urban Toronto with their white light. They're ubiquitous and when you see a photo or video clip with those street lights, you know it's a Toronto scene. But there's no information online about them.

The Cobra street lights are, apparently, not unique to Toronto. Google "Cobra street lights' for lots of examples, the first hits I opened was about them being, slowly, replaced in New York and Manchester. The acorn kind are also quite common elsewhere.

These two are great; I can't stop looking at them.

i like them a lot too--if one knows how to look, they contain a vast amount of information about the city in a period of great transition....
i love the turquoise coat on the woman, the Lord Simcoe sign, the brand new red mustang, the early Harvey's sign noted by Adma, the Bank of Montreal clock that says 11:34 am, the empty rainy street, the faintly googie-style roof on the parking attendants booth, just for starters...

a question:

how was the TD Centre finished? the second tower looks to be made of unpainted steel. was it sprayed black after the form was built? it seems like such a unique process....i can't think of any other buildings constructed this way in Toronto, where the skeleton remains visible.....

there also used to be a disused streetcar converted to retail on the south side of Carlton just east of Yonge, in the parking lot adjacent to the Woolworths. this would have been around 1975....it was only there a short time i believe. the one time i 'boarded', it was selling hippie type jewelry, table forks bent into bracelets etc...

fb2475b4.jpg

Given the recent discussions about Ontario Place, here are a few pics from the Archives:

f0124_fl0009_id0173.jpg

Great photos thecharioteer, they bring back good memories. I remember first learning of my fear of heights as a child either walking up, or down, one of those outdoor staircases.

I think I remember Nature's Way as the first health food store I ever went to w/the family (fell in love w/the natural peanut butter).

That stretch of Wellesley was generally interesting as maybe the last vestige of a "Gerrard Village" spirit, albeit some blocks north...

Back