News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 567     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Later than 1953. The Shell Tower (1955) is in them.

Good point! The accepted date for the Shell Tower seems to be 1955, but this is the description of the photo on the Ontario Archives Visual Database website:

Digital Image Number: I0005554.jpg
Title: Night view of the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE)
Date: 1953
Place: Toronto (Ont.)
Creator: Department of Travel and Publicity, Publicity Branch
Reference Code: RG 65-35
Item Reference Code: RG 65-35-3, 11764-X2829

Love those CNE shots.

Few more:

1925:
CNE_circa_1925.jpg

1930's (ah, hats!):
CNE_grandstand_1930s.jpg

1942: Miss War Worker Beauty Contest 1942, Canadian National Exhibition Grandstand : contestants are grouped by employer.:
Miss_War_Worker_Beauty_Contest_1942.jpg

Miss War Worker Beauty Contest 1942, Canadian National Exhibition Grandstand : Police Chief D.C. Draper presents ribbon to Dorothy Linham, Miss War Worker 1942
Miss_War_Worker_Beauty_Contest_1-1.jpg

1950: (the Electrical Building; now site of the Direct Energy Building):
CNE1950.jpg

Last edited:
Though the usual caveat: it was demolished in 1972, a quarter century before the DEC came up in its place...

Wow, those photos above are simply disgusting. This is why I can never be a fan of the modern era of city building (or city destroying as it was).

What's missing is the third photo in the sequence - Toronto today, with a thriving mixture of residential, retail, educational and cultural uses to buildings, and some nice new parks - much of which was missing in either of those two earlier images of declining industry and transformation to the new Toronto.

Can anyone here cite why the block except the Gooderham building was razed? I know there is a park there, but is that the reason?

Can anyone here cite why the block except the Gooderham building was razed? I know there is a park there, but is that the reason?

I am in the process of reading "Unbuilt Toronto" by Mark Osbaldeston, and there is a whole chapter on the St Lawrence Centre. To make a long story short, the idea was 'urban renewal' and the creation of an arts district (bounded by Church/Jarvis/Front/Richmond) as a 'Centennial Project', but all that was built was the St Lawrence Centre, outside the original site.

There is a picture of the model of "the two building proposal for the St. Lawrence Centre that the city took to tender at the end of 1966. Cutbacks would result in the single building that was built." The second building was on the site of Berczy Park.

Back