News   Mar 28, 2024
 207     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 213     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 272     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Almost 4 metres clearance seems huge compared to the clearances that the TBMs for Crossrail did - less than a metre in places - without even closing the other tube line in London - at least at Tottenham Court Road.

Though looking at the illustration, I'm not sure why they couldn't build the portal near Labelle, with cut and cover between there and Sanguinet to simply and safely work around the existing tunnels. This would also allow for construction of a station between those locations, connecting to Metro Berri.
I was going to reference the exact same project. Was it complex and expensive? Sure, but it's not the impossibility that is being disseminated to the media.

Foundations for the Place Ville-Marie - Central Station complex.

To help you understand: I just made an overlay of the REM station over a Place Ville Marie plan.

View attachment 346239

As you can see, the Central Station platforms are right behind the end of the REM de l'Est tunnel.

Therefore a westwards expansion appears to be absolutely impossible.
How are the foundations in the way when the tunnel is under the street and the tower is off of the street? Do buildings typically have foundations that extend under public roads?

How are the foundations in the way when the tunnel is under the street and the tower is off of the street? Do buildings typically have foundations that extend under public roads?
Directly under that stretch of René-Lévesque blvd there's a mall, two levels of underground parking (one for the Place Ville Marie towers, one for the Queen Elizabeth Hotel) and, most importantly there's Central Station's tracks and platforms sitting at the same depth as the planned REM station.

Since half of this forum seems to live or be from Montréal for some odd reason, here is a pilot project that's for reading and recharging an OPUS card with a smartphone (Android and iOS). You can be part of the pilot project by clicking on this link. This version is not ADA-compliant and not in English since it's a pilot but the final version will be.

I see nobody posted these so here you go. The viaducts and the Champlain bridge are shaping up!

Those who follow things in Montreal, have visited the city in the last few months, but mostly who live there and are on this board will post things related to the REM or other transit items. Others will post things when they see or heard about it. Any new is good news.

Since half of this forum seems to live or be from Montréal for some odd reason, here is a pilot project that's for reading and recharging an OPUS card with a smartphone (Android and iOS). You can be part of the pilot project by clicking on this link. This version is not ADA-compliant and not in English since it's a pilot but the final version will be.

I'm part of that trial. I loaded my OPUS card with my phone; it works really well. The app is well designed, easy to use, and it's very quick. I purchased ticket and loaded them onto the card in probably less than 30 seconds.

For those living in other cities in Canada without an instant rechargeable transit smart card, are your current services sufficient? Open payment is in many cities. Presto can be recharged within 24h. Is this service something you would like? (if it's not obvious enough, trying to get out of writing a report)

Last edited:
Saw this on eBay and I thought y'all would appreciate seeing this 1953 Montreal Canada Rapid Mass Transportation Report

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg

Presto is chargeable instantaneously at self-service machines in stations, and using the app on either Android or Apple devices. The latter since the beginning of time, and the former for 2-3 years.
Cool, that's news for me for the latter. I used to "recharge" my card online and it took up to 24h for the ticketing machines to received the data. Good that's now instant.

Cool, that's news for me for the latter. I used to "recharge" my card online and it took up to 24h for the ticketing machines to received the data. Good that's now instant.
A lot of machines are a lot faster than 24-hours now too. Recently I remembered I wanted to do one of the kids cards, so I did it on the website, downtown - and about 2 hours later at a subway station it was done. Suburban buses that only update once a day in the garage overnight are the slow ones. You can see (from the website) that TTC vehicles passing back data to the website every time they hit a terminus at a subway station. The new machines at the GO stations seem to be faster now too.

Back