News   May 02, 2024
 350     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 172     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 231     0 

MLS Sales

Honestly, i dont mind to pay for every time search if i want to know the sold property's detail, i think this way the MLS system can make some money out of it, but maybe the Realtor doesnt like it, since the public can get their so called private info. too bad..........

i know they work hard to get their license and work hard for their job and stuff, but lots of buyes out there who doesnt want a buyer agent, instead if they can get some info about the properties of their desire neighbourhood, i dont think those buyes will mind to pay for their search on MLS. (just my 2 cents)

The same idea as Carfax could work and might generate huge revenue for MLS. They need to figure it out because the business is changing. I would expect the number of active agents in Toronto to drop by 35% over the next 5 years and by 50% over the next 10 as this mutates the system. For those agents that are honest and work hard, they'll make a good living, but when a tough market rears its head, as we're now seeing AND you have all this competition starting to arise it's bound to get ugly.

If the land registry office has these data on sales and prices, why don't they make it easier to access online? Why do I need to go somewhere in person to get it. Couldn't the government make the data available if it really wanted to, but really does not want to create competition for realtors? Better yet, the government could seed public-private partnership start-ups that would create a non-profit Zillow for Canada.

sometimes just want to know the property sold price, not necessary to contact the realtor just for that if i'm not intend to buy or sell in the next yr or so, but is always good to know what the desire property sold for, that's what i meant in my previous reply, pay a fee for each search and thats about it. i know MPAC did have this service, but only limited to the area you live in and you must be a property owner, that's too narrow, not to open public, i really hope it will have a chnage in the very near future.

If the *Land Registry* (a govt agency, by the sounds of it) is charging for access to their information, why is everyone in a hissy-fit about MLS (presumably run by a private organization; "The Realtor Club" or whatever the hell they call themselves) essentially doing the same thing?

Shouldn't we instead be in a hissy-fit to our public servants (who actually work for us, unlike realtors) to bring the information from Land Registry onto a free system?

It's not that I'm against Zillow.ca but it seems to me that people's rage should be directed onto those who deserve it, rather than those who are able to successfully exploit the system while playing by the rules :)

There you go!!! thanks for the info about Land Registry, as a first time buyer myself( not anymore) i will never know public can get info from Land Registry on sold properties, the whole time i was thinking is from MLS, which means from the Realtor. Ok! so i think the Land Registry should provide the public on sold properties details and info, even have to pay for it.

There you go!!! thanks for the info about Land Registry, as a first time buyer myself( not anymore) i will never know public can get info from Land Registry on sold properties, the whole time i was thinking is from MLS, which means from the Realtor. Ok! so i think the Land Registry should provide the public on sold properties details and info, even have to pay for it.
The Land Registry offices and the MLS systems serve very different roles. Land Registry offices (run by the provincial government) are not really intended to provide the amount of information that MLS does. Land Registry provides sale prices. But it won't tell you the prior history of how often or how long the property was listed for sale, or at what prices. hat comes from MLS. The Registry will not provide any description of the building on the property (One-storey or two-storey house? Detached or semi-detached house? Three bedrooms or four? Finished basement or not? For that matter, is the property developed with a house, a commercial building, or no building at all?) The MLS system provides all of this kind of info.

The Land Registry provides the authoritative source for ownership information and for mortgages, etc. Its function is mainly legal. The MLS is to promote sales, as well as lease transactions. It provides far more information, but does not have any legal role, in recording ownership, mortgages, etc.

As for public access, the Land Registry is partially accessible online to anyone, if you are willing to pay for it. Geowarehouse is one of the sources making registry data available. Some info is not yet online (most importantly, plan drawings), but will be in the future. The full range of information is available if you go in person. But I'll repeat, the Registry's role is pretty limited, and probably not that relevant to most people other than lawyers, real estate agents, and appraisers.

Anti-Competitive!

The Land Registry offices and the MLS systems serve very different roles. Land Registry offices (run by the provincial government) are not really intended to provide the amount of information that MLS does. Land Registry provides sale prices. But it won't tell you the prior history of how often or how long the property was listed for sale, or at what prices. hat comes from MLS. The Registry will not provide any description of the building on the property (One-storey or two-storey house? Detached or semi-detached house? Three bedrooms or four? Finished basement or not? For that matter, is the property developed with a house, a commercial building, or no building at all?) The MLS system provides all of this kind of info.

The Land Registry provides the authoritative source for ownership information and for mortgages, etc. Its function is mainly legal. The MLS is to promote sales, as well as lease transactions. It provides far more information, but does not have any legal role, in recording ownership, mortgages, etc.

As for public access, the Land Registry is partially accessible online to anyone, if you are willing to pay for it. Geowarehouse is one of the sources making registry data available. Some info is not yet online (most importantly, plan drawings), but will be in the future. The full range of information is available if you go in person. But I'll repeat, the Registry's role is pretty limited, and probably not that relevant to most people other than lawyers, real estate agents, and appraisers.

All this, while correct, merely reinforces the point that the MLS system in Canada is a proprietary monopolistic and anti-competitive system that hopefully the courts will shortly overturn for the benefit of all Canadians- except agents and appraisers of course. Appraiser will be of less value when Zillow Canada can tell you transactional history of every house on your street in the proverbial lick of a mouse or better yet tap of a touch screen.

All this, while correct, merely reinforces the point that the MLS system in Canada is a proprietary monopolistic and anti-competitive system that hopefully the courts will shortly overturn for the benefit of all Canadians- except agents and appraisers of course. Appraiser will be of less value when Zillow Canada can tell you transactional history of every house on your street in the proverbial lick of a mouse or better yet tap of a touch screen.

Well you were just informed that you may obtain the selling price from another source besides the MLS system and it will come at a cost too. How different is that from the MLS system?

Back