News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

miWay Transit

I'm pretty sure your 100% correct about the later.

The new project on the old industrial site might be the first.

:confused: Which new project, on which old industrial site?
I think he's speaking about the FRAM development on the old St. Lawrence starch site in PC.

But I think the Lakeshore line has yet produce a single dense and pedestrian-friendly node in the 905. I don't think even Port Credit and Hamilton count considering that were probably developed before GO Train service was introduced, but I could be wrong.
The majority of the hi-rise redevelopment that occurred in Port Credit happened in the early and mid 70s, while GO service first came to the town in 1967. I personally think that the two events are closely related, but I don't really have any reliable proof of that happening since it was before my time. Port Credit was pretty much "developed" at that point, but a lot has happened since, especially eastern growth.

I can vouch that Port Credit sees a large amount of walk in riders, especially in relation to the amount of drivers coming in, and is fairly pedestrian friendly. Don't get me wrong, it could be much more pedestrian friendly (ie. some sort of redevelopment of the eastern parking lot) but compared to most of the system (ie. almost everything not that's not Union), it's doing pretty well.

I think he's speaking about the FRAM development on the old St. Lawrence starch site in PC.

The majority of the hi-rise redevelopment that occurred in Port Credit happened in the early and mid 70s, while GO service first came to the town in 1967.

Actually, judging from this photo from 1968, seems like most of them were built before the GO station.
cooksville1968fixed.jpg

Port Credit's high-rises are of similar style as other 50s and 60s high-rises like those of Cooksville and Applewood so I assume they were also built during that time. I think the only high-rises built in Mississauga during the 70s were the Kaneff buildings southeast of Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe. Maybe the ones in Meadowvale are from the 70s as well.

Last edited:
Good historic picture doady. I think most of the Port Credit highrises date from the early 1960s. There was definitely some blockbusting going on, which of course you would not find today. Theere wasn't much high-rise residential development during the 1970s in Mississauga or elsewhere, thanks to rent control.

Maybe the ones in Meadowvale are from the 70s as well.

Meadowvale, period, is of the 70s and onward.

And yes, generally, you can trace the eclipse of the highrise to the mid-70s dawn of rent control...or at least, the eclipse of the highrise as anything other than vertical gated communities aka condos (and here and there, a fuzzy-wuzzy co-op for counterbalance).

I always thought the lack of new high rises starting the 70s was because Hazel became mayor (in 1974) and purposefully promoted low densities (to make housing less affordable). It seemed like a strange coincidence that she would become mayor and all high-rise development in Mississauga stops at the same time. I didn't know about rent control though.

Still didn't stop Kaneff. But remember: these were the 70s, there may indeed have been a developer-culture trickle-down effect from Crombie/Jane Jacobs-style anti-highrise backlash (maybe augmented by outside stuff like Pruitt-Igoe). So, a variation of high-rise/low-density (i.e. cluster housing, a little like Vancouverish stratas) was all the rage.

And as Hazel might have known, high-rises have a way of drawing out the NIMBY in low-rise dwellers...

Toronto is probably one of the only cities on the world that has so manyy high-rises in its metropolitan area. I really do think that there is NO way that Hazel is gonna lose a municipal election in Mississauga, she i much more likely to die while serving.

There are plenty of condos being built in Mississauga now, so what does McCallion have to do with it? At least she's "seen the light"

Yet another fare increase Jan. 26
http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/BusFares2009.pdf

Mississauga service changes Jan. 26
http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/InTransit_26JAN2009.pdf

- After 10pm frequencies for 5 Dixie, 26 Burnhamthorpe, and 48 Erin Mills reduced to 27, 17, and 30 minutes respectively. :mad:

- Increased weekend frequencies for Hurontario. Saturday increased from 9 minutes to 8 minutes, Sunday from 18 minutes to 14 minutes. Great news, but I think Dundas is worse in terms of overcrowding on the weekends.

- 66 McLaughlin frequencies finally restored to close to what they were before the detour onto Mavis.

Toronto is probably one of the only cities on the world that has so manyy high-rises in its metropolitan area. I really do think that there is NO way that Hazel is gonna lose a municipal election in Mississauga, she i much more likely to die while serving.

It is certainly an anomaly in North America, although this pattern is seen in other Ontario cities to a smaller scale (Ottawa and Kitchener have outcroppings of slabs). In Asia and Russia, though, this would be the norm.

Back