News   Jul 15, 2024
 383     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 548     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

Mississauga: The Least Worst of 2004-2007

I was just in Port Credit last night. Everytime I'm there I wonder "Why can't the rest of Mississauga be just like this?".

I was just in Port Credit last night. Everytime I'm there I wonder "Why can't the rest of Mississauga be just like this?".

My simple (and very simplistic) rule of thumb is:

1. Built before WWII (ie. Port Credit, the old City of Toronto) = good
2. Built after WWII (ie. most of Mississauga and the 905) = crap

When cities started to be built around the car, everything went downhill. The effect persists today which is why no new developments (unless they are infill or in an established neighbourhood) are ever urban. The future looks bleak, my friends... which is why we have to preserve the urbanity we already have, or it's gone forever.

There's plenty to be frustrated about, but it's really not that bad, especially compared to the rest of the 905, Scarborough, and most of Etobicoke. :)

Mississauga better than Etobicoke?? You're crazy. Etobicoke, for all its faults (and I admit that it certainly has plenty of them) is quite urban in comparison. As far as I can recall, none of its main arterial roads are 6 lane mini-highways next to 50 feet of grass, followed by an ocean of parking, at the end of which somewhere in the distance, if you squint hard enough, you might catch a glimpse of a hideous big box centre, shopping mall, or 1 storey strip mall.

No, instead Etobicoke's arterials are lined with bungalows inhabited by people who stage protests against public transit and try to get buses banned from their neighbourhood.

No, instead Etobicoke's arterials are lined with bungalows inhabited by people who stage protests against public transit and try to get buses banned from their neighbourhood.

I've never heard of that. Could you provide an example? That's certainly a disgusting attitude if that's the case, but like I said, Etobicoke has no lack of major faults. All in all though, it still has a lot more going for it than Mississauga, and Doug Holyday should be strung up for even thinking, much less publicly saying, that they should have merged!

Mississauga better than Etobicoke?? You're crazy. Etobicoke, for all its faults (and I admit that it certainly has plenty of them) is quite urban in comparison. As far as I can recall, none of its main arterial roads are 6 lane mini-highways next to 50 feet of grass, followed by an ocean of parking, at the end of which somewhere in the distance, if you squint hard enough, you might catch a glimpse of a hideous big box centre, shopping mall, or 1 storey strip mall.

Dundas is 6 lanes in Etobicoke. Dixon is 6 lanes. Part of Kipling is 6 lanes. The Queensway is 6 lanes.

A quick look at google earth also shows lots of grass and parking lots, and there are plenty of 1 storey strip malls and big box centres.

The main difference is the level of transit service and the age of some of the developments. Otherwise, they are pretty indistinguishable.

Exactly. I'm actually kind of surprised by the reaction to the comparison with Scarborough and Etobicoke, which I still think is completely fair.

Is it simply because Mississauga no longer has the magical 416 area code that bestows sophisticated urbanity on all lands that lie within?

Dundas is 6 lanes in Etobicoke. Dixon is 6 lanes. Part of Kipling is 6 lanes. The Queensway is 6 lanes.

For at least a couple of those, they have to be 6 lanes so that the Mississauga transit drivers don't get confused when they drive around in Etobicoke.

For at least a couple of those, they have to be 6 lanes so that the Mississauga transit drivers don't get confused when they drive around in Etobicoke.

Yeah the same way they get confused when they drive on McLaughlin, Bristol, Britannia, Tomken, Mississauga Rd, Lakeshore, Burnhamthorpe, Hurontario, Glen Erin, Queen, Rathburn, etc.

MT drivers don't drive in the right-most lanes like other bus drivers; instead they drive all over the road.

recall, none of its main arterial roads are 6 lane mini-highways next to 50 feet of grass, followed by an ocean of parking, at the end of which somewhere in the distance, if you squint hard enough, you might catch a glimpse of a hideous big box centre, shopping mall, or 1 storey strip mall.

clearly you never been north of the 401 in that area.

The highway 27 area is one of the most suburban street in the GTA.

Quite a lot of commentary about Etobicoke, by people who don't seem to be familiar with Etobicoke!

I think ganjavih had a very pertinent point. After about WWII, "progress" to many families was represented by a car in the garage, and two cars for the more affluent. Having a car represented modern living, and cities were designed accordingly. Only now is that beginning to change back. I think we should be optimistic. Things really are changing.

Back