News   Oct 02, 2024
 254     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 386     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 766     0 

Mississauga Summit (Mississauga Int'l Airport?)

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
At the Mississauga Summit today the head of the GTAA agreed to change the official name of Toronto Pearson to Mississauga International Airport in exchange for $150 million each year (the price of rent paid to Ottawa each year). If Hazel is successful in brookering that deal with the federal government, then say goodbye to Toronto and hello MISISSAUGA branded all over the airport.

Speaking of the airport, today at the Mississauga Summit (formatted after the Toronto City Summit) transportation and gridlock was one of the top 5 concerns of the over 150 CEO and leaders.

The last session was dedicated to Transporation challenges for Mississauga specifically with the heads of the city's Transportation department, Greater Toronto Airport Authority, Greater Toronto Transporation Authority and Urban Strategies Inc. participating in a panel discussion.

There is a real focus on turning the airport into a hub for Mississauga. It was announced today that the BRT line will have a direct connection to the Airport via the new Renforth Station off Eglinton Ave. Plans were shown showing the People Mover System being extended over Highway 401 to connect with the BRT Station.

Another exciting BIG idea had the City's of Mississauga Director of Economic Development stand up and propose a Monorail System to be built to connect the Airport and the City Centre together. This got a huge response with the crowd.

On other fronts, LRT is confirmed for both Hurontario and Dundas.

Louroz

Oh jeez. I think the only logical response to this post is that it's either a joke or people really are incredibly... foolish.

Just so we're clear...
- Mississauga will pay the GTAA $150million per year for naming rights.
- The People Mover that cannot be extended will be rebuilt so it can be extended to connect with the BRT.
- The BRT will be replaced/duplicated with a Monorail.

I'd write more but I need to catch my flight for my round-world tour of the world's great cities. I'll be flying to Guarulhos, Crawley, Haarlemmermeer, Roissy, Fiumicino, Brandenburg, Tullamarine, Narita, and Seatac. First-tier world cities! I'm really excited!

- Mississauga will pay the GTAA $150million per year for naming rights.
If I'm not mistaken (and FM will likely correct me if I am), but Pearson pays Ottawa rent, but doesn't pay Mississauga any property tax or related costs despite being in the city. Mississauga has been fighting for the cash for years, but I guess this is a fair trade off, especially considering Pearson was Malton long before (and was really only meant to be the 2nd tier airport in the GTA after the Island Airport).

- The People Mover that cannot be extended will be rebuilt so it can be extended to connect with the BRT.
I gotta admit that it seems pretty far feteched, but I think most people would agree that the technology they used in the first place was a terrible choice. A "circuit" track that just had loops at each end and could allow more than two trains to operate at once would have made a heck of a lot more sense.

The monorail- until I hear more, I'm skeptical if it'd ever happen. I'd rather see the 403 BRT be light rail instead. (I guess at this point someone will post the lyrics from the Simpsons, or better yet the youtube vid :p) But overall, I think these are some pretty positive steps forward. I wish they'd posts pod casts from the summit's/conferences they host since I'm willing to bet people who can't attend still want to know what happened. That's probably something that city really should look into.

As someone already mentioned, a Monorail to the airport would just duplicate the BRT line. If we go for a monorail, lets build it down Hurontario that way we can have transit separated from traffic.

I'd write more but I need to catch my flight for my round-world tour of the world's great cities. I'll be flying to Guarulhos, Crawley, Haarlemmermeer, Roissy, Fiumicino, Brandenburg, Tullamarine, Narita, and Seatac. First-tier world cities! I'm really excited!

LOL!

Me, I opted to trade Fiumicino's charms for that of a nearby bedroom community earlier this summer. My loss...

The real deal here is that Pearson wants to highlight the ridiculous $150 Mil rent charge it pays to Ottawa every year - it's just a publicity ploy to get the rent dropped. Pearson would never change its name to Mississauga anything.

I'll be flying to Guarulhos, Crawley, Haarlemmermeer, Roissy, Fiumicino, Brandenburg, Tullamarine, Narita, and Seatac. First-tier world cities! I'm really excited!

One difference between these airports and what is being proposed here is that some of these airports are located in cities with two or more major airports, which would make naming the airport after a local place more logical. The other difference... none of these places pay the airport for naming rights.

The only way I would see "Mississauga Int'l Airport" come into common use is if there is a strong rival airport to Pearson in the GTA. Not likely in the foreseeable future with Hamilton still way behind Pearson, and the Pickering airport still awaiting development. And then there's the problem that the airport is already named after Lester B Pearson and that name is already commonly accepted. Sounds like the "Highway of Heroes"/Macdonald-Cartier Freeway/401 naming controversy all over again.

At the Mississauga Summit today the head of the GTAA agreed to change the official name of Toronto Pearson to Mississauga International Airport in exchange for $150 million each year (the price of rent paid to Ottawa each year). If Hazel is successful in brookering that deal with the federal government, then say goodbye to Toronto and hello MISISSAUGA branded all over the airport.

Speaking of the airport, today at the Mississauga Summit (formatted after the Toronto City Summit) transportation and gridlock was one of the top 5 concerns of the over 150 CEO and leaders.

The last session was dedicated to Transporation challenges for Mississauga specifically with the heads of the city's Transportation department, Greater Toronto Airport Authority, Greater Toronto Transporation Authority and Urban Strategies Inc. participating in a panel discussion.

There is a real focus on turning the airport into a hub for Mississauga. It was announced today that the BRT line will have a direct connection to the Airport via the new Renforth Station off Eglinton Ave. Plans were shown showing the People Mover System being extended over Highway 401 to connect with the BRT Station.

Another exciting BIG idea had the City's of Mississauga Director of Economic Development stand up and propose a Monorail System to be built to connect the Airport and the City Centre together. This got a huge response with the crowd.

On other fronts, LRT is confirmed for both Hurontario and Dundas.

Louroz

That one great laugh I read in some time and show the lack and understanding and why Mississauga Sucks in the first place considering I live there.

A monorail to the Airport is worst than the Spadina subway to VCC. It even worst than the Blue22. The city cannot offer any real transit to the airport in the first place. Extending the BRT to the airport will, I say will provide one of 3 routes to the airport that is needed yesterday.

The current airport monorail and read my words "Cannot be expanded as proposed without cutting the current service level by 75%" "Its a rope system" To do what is plan, you have to replace the existing system 100% excluding the stations and support.

Geeee!! the airport is to become a Transit Hub after how many yearS????????

Some of the stuff I heard there today sent shivers up my back.

I am amaze that the city can find money for poor planning projects, yet it cannot find the money to fund a transit system in the first place.

That $150 million naming right is a waste of taxpayers money and it will always be known as Toronto or Pearson airport.

Gridlock needs to be at the top with Transit being number one to reduce the cost of carrying good in the GTA.

Without transit being at the top, then pave over all the green space, tear down all building with 1,000 feet of majors highways so we can build more lanes of single drivers that we have today.

Total lack of vision.

All this kiss,kiss is a joke.

Oh!!!! did city staff finally understand that a BRT on Hurontario will not work from day one as well Brampton??????????? What I heard a month ago, it was still going to be a BRT on Hurontario opposite to MoveOntario2020 plan.

Are you aware that the BRT on the 403 is being study to be upgraded to an LRT first????????

If you going to spend $$ on a monorail to the airport, why build the BRT in the first place other than its a GO thing? Why not built monorail on most major streets and scrap all this LRT talk????

I really doubt it will be named Mississauga International anytime soon, if ever.

As for the monorail idea.... I've been saying this for a few years now at least. It completely makes sense for Hurontario to have it. The space is already there to install the tracks without taking away lanes in many parts of the street.

I really doubt it will be named Mississauga International anytime soon, if ever.

As for the monorail idea.... I've been saying this for a few years now at least. It completely makes sense for Hurontario to have it. The space is already there to install the tracks without taking away lanes in many parts of the street.

I said the same thing in a 2002 report to the city. It the cost that kills it both up front and operation compare to an LRT.

Toronto has to start looking at this as it cost twice as much money to build subways compare to a monorail. The problem for monorail is the urban design thinking as well people will be able to look in your window as they travel by.

The street is too wide now and needs to be reduce to 4 lanes. The only problem doing this you have all the building set to far in the first place.

Mississauga Summit

Oh gosh, I guess my writing wasn't clear enough that renaming the airport Mississauga International Airport was the biggest joke of the summit. The head of the GTAA actually said he would rename the airport if Mississauga was able to get Ottawa to drop the $150 million in rent it pays annually, again that recieved the biggest laugh of the day.

To clarify, the Airport currently pays somewhere between $20 - $22 million to the city annually for service (mainly for Fire, Sewers and Hydro services), I’m not sure if that includes dollars for other regional services such as Police and Water. Mississauga wants another additional $40+ million annually.

In the GTAA presentation, the slides clearly showed the current people mover system being extended over the highway to meet with the BRT. It sounded like a sure bet that this connection is a done deal for Mississauga, so this talk of not being able to extend the people mover line is probably pure speculation from some.

There was brief talk of Blue 22 from the GTAA Head, even a rendering of the proposed train set was shown (it was blue).

Remember this was a summit featuring Mississauga's top CEO's and leaders and they were asked to THINK BIG! The fact that the Monorail was thrown out as a BIG IDEA is fantastic. A direct, express connection between the Airport and our City Centre would be a huge economic boost. With a new convention centre being built, an entire new hotel district could be built around it with the new monorail bringing in visitors in from the airport in less than 10 minutes. With dozens of corporate headquarters already in Mississauga, a lot of executives don't even need to head to downtown Toronto anymore. A lot of meetings and conventions take place in Mississauga, so why not in our City Centre the CEO's asked?

On that note, I was astonished to hear yesterday that more Brampton residents travel into Mississauga everyday, than Mississauga residents who travel into downtown Toronto.

Again, it was confirmed at the Summit by the head of the city's Transportation department in front of 150 CEO's and Leaders, that LRT will be built on Hurontario and Dundas. I don't think anybody is talking BRT on those two routes.

Anyways, the entire Mississauga Summit was carried live on local television yesterday including all the presentations, panels and idea sessions. I understand that it will be re-broadcasted several times.

Also, I'm not sure, but there might be a pod cast on the Summit website eventually. Check out: http://mississaugasummit.ca/ for updates.

An action plan to implement the top ideas will be ready later in the fall. Another summit is planned for 2009.

Louroz

Back