News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 609     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 293     0 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

That and Mississaugans aren't a bunch of whiners (and stupid whiners at that), like the people from Toronto suburbs..

That's not true at all ... not even close to it ... the big (huge) difference is the whiners in the 905 get just about 0 media coverage ... the best blessing the media can bestow, considering your self lucky ...

I'll tell you right now I know plenty of whiners in any area of the 905 - from the fact they pay too much property tax / the city spends to much on this and that ...

I'm under the impression that Toronto's Civic Square IS also undergoing redevelopment, so I'm not sure what you're all going on about.

I think there is a difference. N.P. Square in Toronto was, in the opinion of many, pretty good as it was, and not obviously in need of a massive overhaul. That's not true of the area around Miss. City Hall, which was very poorly designed back in the early 80s, featuring forbidding walls apparently intended to block views and to keep people out. It needed a complete rethink, and most people accepted that.

Though conversely, if Mississauga were like Toronto, perhaps you would have had a more vocal "Save the Civic Square" contingent, not unlike the forces that led to the retention of the NPS walkways...

from today...
20101118011.jpg

20101118013.jpg

20101118014.jpg

I prefer not to see a Tim Horton's or Starbucks in the Square - too generic; plus there is already a Second Cup and Tim Horton's nearby. Too bad about the Tower Cafe, I go there every week to eat and to take pictures.

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/905210--new-civic-square-a-foodie-s-paradise

Joseph Chin Nov 18, 2010 - 4:42 PM

New civic square a foodie's paradise

When Mississauga Celebration Square opens next March, visitors will not only have a new $40-million public space to admire, they’ll have an array of food to sample.
That’s because, in addition to completely making over Civic Square and Central Library Square — thanks to cash from Ottawa’s Infrastructure Stimulus Fund — the City of Mississauga is overhauling the way food is being provided in the entire civic precinct.
The centrepiece will be an eye-catching “pavilion” that’s being incorporated in the redevelopment. Linked to the library lobby and a restaurant, the structure, reminiscent of a glassed-in gazebo, will have ample seating for customers and Wi-Fi service.
Gone will be the Tower Garden Restaurant, located on the 12th floor of City Hall, after the current contract with the food operator expires at the end of next year. It will be replaced by a café located in the ground floor conservatory, which has long been under-utilized. Essential for lunch-seeking City staff, it will offer burgers, pasta and pizza in addition to the usual coffee and snacks.
An outdoor grill located near the new rink/water feature will offer burgers and hot dogs. In the winter, the fare will be augmented with soup and chili for frigid skaters.
Consultant fsStrategy recommends that a “fresh” theme be adopted for the outlets.
For all the varied selection, fans of Tim Hortons or Starbucks will have to look elsewhere for their fix.
Not that it wasn’t considered.
“A considerable amount of time was spent discussing the notion of having national brands, such as Tim Hortons and Starbucks, as part of the food service mix, and the consultants have recommended against this approach,” said Brenda Breault, commissioner of corporate services and treasurer, in a report presented to General Committee on Wednesday (Nov. 17).
Breault says the broad range of product offerings required and the small market makes it highly unlikely a national brand would be interested. Also, many of the events, Ribfest for example, already feature food.
“The consultant advised us that branded-type outlets tend to be more expensive as the business case is eroded somewhat by virtue of the fact you have to pay royalties and various fees,” noted Ken Owen, the City's director of facilities and property management.
Outgoing Ward 3 Councillor Maja Prentice, however, pointed out that the Region of Peel’s new addition to its headquarters in Brampton does feature a Tim Hortons — and it appears to be successful.
“I think I’ve been there three times and it was literally full every time,” she said.
jchin@mississauga.net

Wow...looks like they're not slowing down!

Any idea what they're going to cover those vents in the grass with?

Back