News   Jul 30, 2024
 334     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 533     0 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

To bring this thread back on track... Holy! That skating rink/water feature takes up pretty much the entire north end of the square!

To bring this thread back on track... Holy! That skating rink/water feature takes up pretty much the entire north end of the square!

It's going to be great, looking forward to using it.

20100827048.jpg

Buddies
20100827049.jpg

Actually, the situation is that those tracks are also used by freight trains, and GO can only run trains in one direction. Yes more people are going toward Union but the lines don't just serve Mississauga. GO is currently building a third rail to accommodate all day, two direction service. If there was no demand for this service, they would not be investing in it... Plain and simple.

The article you posted shows exactly what everyone here is trying to say... more people commute to Mississauga than commute out of Mississauga. That means it is not just a bedroom community anymore.

Your own source also shows that only 29% of Mississauga residents work in Toronto, while 55% work within Mississauga. Again, how does this prove your point?

As for your second source... I see way more dots south of the 401. Going with what you see though, that area is Mississauga. You can't just move borders to prove a point. That isn't how the world works, regardless of how you see it. The reason why there is little to no residential there is because of the high aircraft noise. That area is Malton, and it has its own history. It has since become part of Mississauga and while it may be separated by Canada's largest airport, it still functions as part of the city.

PS. Your PS. is exactly what people have been telling you...

Hah, screwed up my 'PS', sorry.

Look, this is the quote that I was replying to originally, read it carefully:

"Countless people commute from Toronto to work in Mississauga, more so than people commuting from Mississauga to Toronto (although there's many going that way as well)."

That is simply not true, I said that I've seen myself that it isn't true... that didn't suffice. I posted statistics proving that it isn't true. And then the argument was switched around and turned into a new one.

The poster I quoted said specifically that MORE people commute from Toronto to Mississauga than the other way around. Nonsense. I never disputed that people didn't commute into Mississauga, but rather that more people come to Toronto from there than from here to there.

Most of Mississauga with the exception of a small area around Square One is either a bed town or a neatly industrial/commercial area that attracts employees from all over its surroundings.

Just like being part of the same city doesn't make Etobicoke any less suburban, the residential areas in mississauga are as suburban as it gets in spite of one of its main economic centres being located technically inside city boundaries.

The fact of the matter is that, for what is relevant to this discussion, Mississauga does not have the characteristics of the large city it pretends to be by creating a large Piazza. Has anyone here tried to reach the square in place using public transportation? It's a pain. I've been to a couple of pubs nearby (West 50 and Failte... don't bother with either if you have access to an average one in Toronto) and it honestly took a lot of effor to get there from Erin Mills. I can't see why people would want to spend an evening there with amazing beautiful places such as Erindale Park or Riverwood next door - unless they put something interesting there in terms of restaurants or a small boulevard of sorts.

Enough on the commuting thing. Please keep to the topic of thread!

Are they finally starting to make the entire section the same level? It looks like they're raising the height of the road.

Are they finally starting to make the entire section the same level? It looks like they're raising the height of the road.

They aren't making the entire square the same level. They only said they were opening up the north end to make if feel more like one space. Instead of two sets of stairs separated by a wall, there will be one giant set of stairs.

Oh, I thought the whole thing was to make it so they could close the street and everything would be accessible without any stairs. Well, it just lost points then.

Back