News   May 22, 2024
 794     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 619     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 450     0 

Mississauga 2010 Election

Louroz didn't make it. Sorry bro. You ran a strong campaign but defeating an incumbent is extraordinarily difficult.

Haha, Hazel was just on TV. Came across as a grizzled old lady, mumbling about media conspiracy...

I didn't vote for Hazel, but I'm kinda happy she won. I would like her to announce it's her last term and then the campaign for her successor to really start up.

Just got back from Miss. City Hall. Compared to previous years, the crowd seemed small and subdued. Quite a few of them were City staffers, who are always out in force on election night.

Hazel won about 77% of the vote. Down from her usual 90%, but hardly a "repudiation" of her by any stretch. Her only really credible challenger, Dave Cook, got about 7%. The people spoke. I saw her blow off the Mississauga News, refusing to give them a quote.

(Shamefully, our home-grown Nazi, Paul Fromm, got 800 votes. What goes through the minds of people who would vote for people like that?)

The really good news: Carolyn Parrish lost in Ward 6. Ron Starr won with about 54% of the vote. I think that's the end of Carolyn's aspirations to be mayor. With any luck, it will also mean an end to some of the bitter divisions on city council, which were mainly orchestrated by Carolyn, and will allow things to get back to normal.

Sorry that Louroz did not make it through. He got a respectable 34% of the vote, going up against an incumbent.

I would like heer to announce it's her last term
She actually has announced that. This will be her last term. I hope the campaign to succeed her doesn't "heat up" too soon. It would have started tomorrow, if Carolyn had been re-elected, and I don't think we need that just yet.

That's why she was elected, too. Had she every intention to run until she drops, she probably would have lost, or won by an even narrower margin.

I'm glad Parrish is gone but I think is sad though how easily the people of Mississauga followed the whims of Hazel McCallion. For Parrish, I can understand, but Carmen Corbasson? Any real reason, or do people just blindly follow the command of Hazel?

And I'm not surprised that Hazel would blow off the Mississauga News just because they criticized her. Of course she doesn't support freedom of speech...

While I wasn't terribly keen on what I've read about our beloved mayor the past couple of weeks, I just hope that she can pull council together and create a future vision for Mississauga. The Downtown21 plan, development of the waterfront, the Hurontario LRT... it's a positive start.

While I wasn't terribly keen on what I've read about our beloved mayor the past couple of weeks, I just hope that she can pull council together and create a future vision for Mississauga. The Downtown21 plan, development of the waterfront, the Hurontario LRT... it's a positive start.

The funny thing is, I supported Hazel up until the moment she called for people not to vote for the councillors that supported the judicial inquiry. That is just unacceptable to me. She immediately lost my support right there.

Remember that Paul Fromm ad I mentioned earlier? Apparently it has drawn some controversy because of the message, "Fight Gridlock: Freeze Immigration", which I didn't see because I was too far away.

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/901476--bus-ad-draws-fire

It is funny because Rob Ford said the exact same thing and he was elected mayor of Toronto. And notice all the people who express support for Fromm's message in the comments section of the article, including a user who calls himself "Mike on the Right" (a right-winger, what a surprise). So I don't think Fromm and people like him are as "fringe" as you might might think. Countries all over the developed world are seeing the rise of the anti-immigrant right wing and don't think Canada will be an exception. McCallion isn't exactly pro-immigration herself...

Back