651     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 468     3 

Mississauga 2010 Election

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was curious about whether 89-year old McCallion was running in the election, so I thought I'd check the Internet.

With only 4 days to go until nominations close, she hasn't registered to run yet. Parrish has only registered to run for Council, not for mayor.

What's odd, is there is almost no media coverage on this. The only recent article I can find is in the Mississauga News, from last week, where McCallion states she is running.

I'm surprised the mainstream media isn't touching the question.

I wonder if Hazel has decided not to run, but is going to pretend until the last second, in spite to keep Parrish from running.

Which raises the question, of the 8 candidates who are running; has anyone heard of any of them? Are any electable?

God Save the Queen of Mississauga, O long may she reign!

One more time: McCallion to run again
Friends say Mississauga mayor, 89, will announce her candidacy on Wednesday

Phinjo Gombu
Urban Affairs Reporter
Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion is holding a news conference Wednesday in Streetsville during which, friends and supporters say, she’ll confirm she’s seeking a 12th term.

“I believe … she will make an announcement that will say she has registered and plans on running for re-election,” Brian Crombie, a friend and advisor of the 89-year-old mayor, said Tuesday. “She will speak about the importance of a council that will work together and not be dysfunctional.”

Councillor Pat Saito, a friend and supporter said the mayor, who has served since 1978, has made clear her intentions to run again.

“I don’t think she will ever have enough of doing what she can for the city,” said Saito. “Mississauga is in her blood … I think her faculties are as acute and sharp as any other member of council, and in some cases more so.”

Her long-expected announcement (she had previously said she would run if her health held out) means McCallion, currently in the middle of a judicial inquiry probing the extent of her involvement in a $14.4 million land deal, will take her case and popularity directly to the voters on Oct. 25.

Justice Douglas Cunningham’s report will not be issued before the election.

The inquiry, called by council last year, has been hearing evidence this summer that McCallion was intimately involved in the quest by her son’s company to build a $1.5 billion hotel, convention centre and condominium complex near city hall, a project the mayor said she supported for the benefit of the city, not her son.

McCallion, through her lawyer, has said she didn’t know Peter McCallion held an ownership stake in the company despite witnessing a trust agreement signed by him and a business partner in 2007.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/mis...70--one-more-time-mccallion-to-run-again?bn=1

Does anyone else find it funny that this is in the "Rest of the Universe" section? I think it says a lot about the general attitude towards Mississauga on this site.

Does anyone else find it funny that this is in the "Rest of the Universe" section? I think it says a lot about the general attitude towards Mississauga on this site.
I did ponder where to put the thread; really it should go under Greater Toronto Discussion, but none of the sub-forums seemed suitable. Most importantly, the election discussions for the other GTA muniicipalities were here in the Politics and Diplomacy forum.

Also, as we know, there are is no 'election' in Mississauga ... but it seems, this is the last time :)

Looks like things are getting interesting in Mississauga. A holocaust-denying, white supremacist has just joined the Mayoral race and the main focus of his campaign is immigration:

Former teacher running for mayor

A former Peel District School Board teacher who was fired for refusing to curtail his political activities outside the classroom is the 14th candidate seeking to become mayor of Mississauga in the Oct. 25 municipal election.

Paul Fromm registered to run yesterday afternoon, less than an hour after incumbent Hazel McCallion officially announced she would be seeking her 12th term in office.

“Immigration is the issue,” Fromm said in a press release announcing his candidacy. “It’s the two-ton elephant in the room that the municipal politicians don’t want to discuss. They just want to babble about the supposed benefits of ‘diversity.’”

Fromm was fired from his job teaching English at Applewood Heights Secondary School in 1997 after he ignored warnings from administrators not to continue associating with known racists and white supremacists. The B'Nai Brith and other organizations had complained about his conduct at a series of right-wing political rallies.

The board removed Fromm from the classroom after 19 years on the job and asked him to teach adult students. He was warned not to continue his political activities, then was fired when he attended a memorial service for renowned American white supremacist Revilo Oliver.

A lengthy arbitration process followed and Fromm's firing was eventually upheld. Fromm's teaching licence was revoked by the Ontario College of Teachers in November 2007. Fromm lost his appeal to have the Supreme Court review his case last year.
Now a radio broadcaster and a director of the Council of Conservative Citizens, Fromm intends to make immigration the central plank of his platform.

“Immigration impacts almost every major problem in Mississauga — overcrowded roads, dwindling farm land, the environment, welfare costs. If I’m elected, I’ll camp out on the Minister of Immigration’s front lawn and demand action,” said Fromm in his statement.

Fromm expressed concern that Peel's population is slated to grow from 1.258 million people in 2008 to 1.543 million by 2016.

“Will the roads be any less congested? Will welfare costs be lower? Will the environment be safer with nearly another 300,000 in Peel?” Fromm said. “Not likely.

“Mississauga is full,” Fromm said.

“It’s more than doubled in size since I moved here in 1980,” said the Port Credit resident, who speaks regularly on immigration in Canada, the United States and Australia.

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/871330--former-teacher-running-for-mayor

Looks like things are getting interesting in Mississauga. A holocaust-denying, white supremacist has just joined the Mayoral race and the main focus of his campaign is immigration
Why would this have much impact on the election? There's one of those running in Toronto every time ... and about 30 other of similar ilk (in terms of being offbeat, rather than Nazis). No one ever gets many votes.

I hate Mississauga nazis.

illinois-nazis.jpg

I saw an ad for that Nazi dude on the back of an MT bus the other day. It was kind of far away, but he looked like Rob Ford at that distance, no joke.

McCallon is reportedly now publically endorsing candidates running against the councilors who supported the judicial inquiry against her. A few weeks back she basically told all voters to vote only for councillors that support her. Yeah, she is a really corrupt old hag, isn't she?

I'll probably be voting for Peter Orfanos, the environmentalist. I've seen a few houses with his sign on their lawns. He seems to have been pretty active in the community for a long time, based on reports.

I'll probably be voting for Peter Orfanos, the environmentalist. I've seen a few houses with his sign on their lawns. He seems to have been pretty active in the community for a long time, based on reports.
I follow what's happening in Miss. politics fairly closely and I've never heard of him. Not saying he's a good person or otherwise, just that he is pretty low-profile to put it mildly.

Yes, McCallion or some people around her are endorsing candidates in some of the ward councillor races. That's new. She has never done that before, although in a few cases it has been pretty well known who she favoured.

Who to blame for the current situation? I won't call Hazel blameless, but the trouble on council has been clearly stirred up by one individual who wants to be mayor so badly she can't stand it, but doesn't seem to have the maturity that I, for one, would want.

So is another landslide expected? Can someone in their 90s really be trusted to run a city effectively? I'd be a bit worried about that if I were a resident of the city.

So is another landslide expected? Can someone in their 90s really be trusted to run a city effectively? I'd be a bit worried about that if I were a resident of the city.

I think if she's in her 90s it's a bit of a moot point? Can a 90-year-old run a city better than an 80-year-old? A 70-year-old?

Can a 90-year-old run a city better than an 80-year-old? A 70-year-old?

Most likely? Generally one's level of cognizance would decline the older they are?

John McCain's was a big issue in the US election, and while obviously the PotUS is an infinitely more taxing and complex job than this, I wouldn't want my mayor to be in the mid 90s by the end of the term.

Back