539     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 339     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 193     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Yonge and Carleton 1970--2010

YongeandCarltonlookingnortheast.jpg

OK, I'm convinced. Photos never lie! (LOL)
Thanks for your fine research efforts, AlbertHWagstaff.
And I must apologize to Mustapha for causing him any concern.
I thought I knew that intersection well, but the Esso station must have been erased from my memory.

That's ok Goldie. Anybody could have screwed it up. :) :)

Last edited:
Aug 23 Then and Now.

Then. St. Clair W and Dufferin. NE corner. c1918. Another handsome vintage neighbourhood bank building, of which Toronto still thankfully has an ample supply; some albeit repurposed. Bank corporate facilities/real estate people Then as Now sited their branches on corners where they could - the bank as metaphorical anchor-of-the-local business and saving community was a point to be reinforced wherever and whenever possible. Thanks wwwebster, for finding and making the pic available.

152StClairWestDufferinNEc1918.jpg

Now. June 2011. Not bad. Windows that don't open, but not bad at all, I think. An extension to the north. A door removed. A door added. Nothing vinyl signage wise. This CIBC branch has had a very long run at this corner, and may it stay so for the future.

153.jpg

Sleepy Hollow

Sleepy Hollow, according to the map in Boulton's Atlas of 1858, was on College Street west of University. To pinpoint--Murray Street stopped at Taddle Creek. Sleepy Hollow was in a line with Murray Street. Coming forward, is that the old Board of Education building? Thanks for telling me how Sleepy Hollow got its name. Doesn't really fit with Sir J B Robinson.

There was a big house on the block Queen-John-Richmond-Duncan which faced Richmond, and another one on the block south between Adelaide and Richmond. At the Queen-John corner were some brick buildings even then. The maps are on TPL's website and to read the names of houses (if they are there) you have to wake up MrSid and zoom up the map quite large. I haven't inspected these tiny details on Map 25 yet.

To clairify matters, the house that I thought was named Sleepy Hollow, was in fact Beverley House in the block bounded by

Queen, (North side) John, (West side) Richmond, (South side) and Duncan, (East side) with the address being 260/66 Richmond.

The actual Sleepy Hollow was as you say, College/University, with the same family owning both, although I may be mistaken in this.

The City TV Building now occupies the Beverley House site.

Regards,
J T

I think I've got it sorted now. Sir John Beverley Robinson (died 1863) lived at Beverley House, built around 1820, on Richmond Street. His brother, William Benjamin Robinson (died 1873), lived at Sleepy Hollow.

But to confuse matters, Caverhill's Directory has Sir John at the corner of Wellington and Windsor (an area we discussed a couple of weeks ago). The census has John Lukin Robinson, eldest son of Sir J B, living there. And, of course, Sir John had several other sons including a namesake.

I think I've got it sorted now. Sir John Beverley Robinson (died 1863) lived at Beverley House, built around 1820, on Richmond Street. His brother, William Benjamin Robinson (died 1873), lived at Sleepy Hollow.

But to confuse matters, Caverhill's Directory has Sir John at the corner of Wellington and Windsor (an area we discussed a couple of weeks ago). The census has John Lukin Robinson, eldest son of Sir J B, living there. And, of course, Sir John had several other sons including a namesake.

The maps of the CityTV block:

1842:

queenjohn1842.jpg

1862:

beverlyhouse.jpg

1884:

queenjohn1884.jpg

1924:

queenjohn1924.jpg

Sleepy Hollow in 1862:

sleepyhollow.jpg

1884:

sleepyhollow1884.jpg

Last edited:
Yonge Street 1970

Hmm, family photo or would it be 'found' family photo as Then and Now. A twist on the genre. I'm likin' it a lot.

There is a whole group of these. A friend of mine , Leonard Poole , went for a walk up and down Yonge in 1970 just to use up a couple of rolls of B/W. I am a big fan of every picture done before 1975.

Back