News   Mar 28, 2024
 963     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 837     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"the building on the very left facing Queen Street has been in that state for over 110 years!" QUOTE TKWizard.

The windows have been replaced; must be rather hot during the summer with the only opening at the BOTTOM.

(With the original double-hung windows, the upper could be opened to allow the hot air to escape & at the

bottom for the cooler air to enter. - No A/C ? - No problem.)

(Window/door guys are almost as stupid as are plumbers; who, after 8,000 hours af apprenticeship, the only thing that they learn is

crap runs down hill.)

Reguards,
J T

Last edited:
Wow..

Never knew that the Art Gallery used to be so small, and now its painfully crap?

My dad told me that he worked during the first major renovation of this place back in the 90s~

That would have been the second "major renovation". The first was in the 70s when the Parkin boxes were placed along the front.

As for the 1960 shot--that's an art gallery's graphic design standard for you: the "Soviet Painting" signage looks as fresh today as it did a half century ago...

Are we talking about the ROM or the AGO here? I find the new ROM crystal to be painfully crap, but was actually impressed with how well the AGO additions fit together, and how much of the old building survives as part of the new AGO. On that note, here's a photo I posted to my photoblog back in November 2008 when Frank Gehry was there speaking:

ago-walker-court.jpg

The porthole and arches remain, 51 years later! You can see all my AGO photos here.

Great AGO photos seemsartless. You've really made the King Tut objects almost touchable on my monitor.

"the building on the very left facing Queen Street has been in that state for over 110 years!" QUOTE TKWizard.

The windows have been replaced; must be rather hot during the summer with the only opening at the BOTTOM.

(With the original double-hung windows, the upper could be opened to allow the hot air to escape & at the

bottom for the cooler air to enter. - No A/C ? - No problem.)

(Window/door guys are almost as stupid as are plumbers; who, after 8,000 hours af apprenticeship, the only thing that they learn is

crap runs down hill.)

Reguards,
J T

I hope they don't sell those windows anymore; they look cheap too.

March 26 addition.

Then. "Apr 2 1929. Woodbine Beach west of Kippendavie Ave" This picture, and a couple of others at the Toronto Archives, show storm damage - carrying away - of the boardwalk that used to skirt uncomfortably close to the front of these houses.

arp21929.jpg

Now. March 2011. The modern day boardwalk has been located about 80 yards to the south. I'm guessing that some landfill went on soon after this in order to move the boardwalk and the beach a safer distance to the south.

My "Now" picture was taken a few yards to the west of where the original picture was taken. There were gigantic tree trunks in the way.

DSC_0282.jpg

crap runs down hill.)

Reguards,
J T

It's really a combination of salesmen or contractors who don't know anything about fenestration, combined with property owners who want either cheap or new (because old=bad, apparently) and don't care about appearance.

Take it from me, I'm a window/door guy; but one who isn't so thick.

From Brown's 1861 Toronto Directory:

George Harding, practical plumber, 56 King Street West, St Andrew's

He really makes me wonder about the rest of them--and there weren't a lot given that they were building the city sewers at the time.

Were Crappers, the plumbers, of Toronto related to Crapper, the plumber, of London?

"Take it from me, I'm a window/door guy; but one who isn't so thick." QUOTE Earlscourt_Lad.

Greetings and thank you Sire!

I am ever so glad that we are standing on "the sunny side of the street".

Of all the "plumbers", with which I have delt, I would stake my life upon two.

Not to belabour the fact as you are a window/door guy, but as/was my rant,

no matter what the advert/truck signage says, plumbers do not understand steam.

Thank you also for the education as copied below; I never have heard nor could guess.

fen·es·tra·tion (fn-strshn)
n.
1. The design and placement of windows in a building.
2. An opening in the surface of a structure, as in a membrane.
3. The surgical creation of an artificial opening in the bony part of the inner ear so as to improve or restore hearing.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
'Were Crappers, the plumbers, of Toronto related to Crapper, the plumber, of London?" QUOTE NomoreaTorontonian.

Unknown, however,

CAVERHILL'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY for 1858 - 60.

PLUMBERS AND GASFITTERS:

Crapper, Benjamin,
179 King Street East.

Cuming and Wells,
175 King Street West.

Harding, George,
56 King Street West.

Thomson, Keith & Company,
109 King Street West.

FISHER & TAYLOR'S TORONTO DIRECTORY 1874.

PLUMBERS:

Crapper, James, jun.
96 Adelaide East.

Crapper, James, sen.
32 Duke Street.

Cuming & Wells,
173 King Street West.

Dunlop, William,
681 Yonge Street.

Harding, George,
77 King Street West.

Hurst, James,
114 Adelaide Street East.

Keith, David S, & Company,
109 King Street West.

McCudden, John,
404 Yonge Street.

Malcolm, William,
57 Jarvis Street.

Meadows, Samuel,
31 Queen Street West.

Morrison & McGuire,
73 1/2 King Street West.

Parker, John O,
158 York Street.

Ritchie, John & Son,
192 King Street East.

Smith, Hugh T,
105 Queen West.

Wright, John, *
397 Yonge Street.

There is no doubt in my mind that John Wright was to become partner with Bennett -

to become the firm BENNETT & WRIGHT CO.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Anyhoo, on to:

King and John NW corner.

ser71_s0071_it5440.jpg

ser71_s0071_it5441.jpg

Sorry Mustafa, but this isn't Toronto

This is the SE corner of King & John in Hamilton. It's the first Hamilton intercity bus terminal, located on the ground floor of the W.E. Sanford building. The building on the right of the first photo is the Hamilton central post office, the 5th one actually.

Both of these buildings were demolished in the 1930s, the Sanford building for the extension of the Royal Connaught Hotel, and the post office for the construction of the Dominion Public Building, now the John Sopinka Courthouse

(best I could do at matching the second photo)
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie....255248,-79.866806&spn=0.000676,0.001206&z=20

Last edited:
Sorry Mustafa, but this isn't Toronto

This is the SE corner of King & John in Hamilton. It's the first Hamilton intercity bus terminal, located on the ground floor of the W.E. Sanford building. The building on the right of the first photo is the Hamilton central post office, the 5th one actually.

Both of these buildings were demolished in the 1930s, the Sanford building for the extension of the Royal Connaught Hotel, and the post office for the construction of the Dominion Public Building, now the John Sopinka Courthouse

(best I could do at matching the second photo)
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie....255248,-79.866806&spn=0.000676,0.001206&z=20

Thanks ever so much HamiltonTransitHistory. It was some naivete on my part that assumed "King and John" could only exist in one place in Canada. :) or perhaps it should be :(

It's really a combination of salesmen or contractors who don't know anything about fenestration, combined with property owners who want either cheap or new (because old=bad, apparently) and don't care about appearance.

Take it from me, I'm a window/door guy; but one who isn't so thick.

The building at the SE corner of Queen and Dowling has come up freshened from a total gut and renovation. The new windows are simply splendid. They are wooden. The top segment opens like the flaps on an airplane wing. The bottom segment opens like , erm, to use the airplane analogy again; like air brakes. :) I was admiring the craftsmanship while I was waiting for the Queen car.

" The new windows are simply splendid. They are wooden. . . . I was admiring the craftsmanship while I was waiting for the Queen car." QUOTE Mustapha.

The above quoting appears as if you were "casing", the joint.

(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Back