News   Apr 25, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Feb 3 addition

Osgoode street. No longer a street here.

fo1231_f1231_it1287.jpg

DSCF0136.jpg

Feb 5 addition

Dupont & Davenport intersection, looking NE.
I wonder if that's the same light standard in both pics?

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0504.jpg

DSCF0215-2.jpg

And, just to the west of this building, the old 'subway' that heads N to Poplar Plains Rd.

fo1231_f1231_it1364.jpg

DSCF0218-3.jpg

Last edited:
What a difference eh Mustapha? The top one has a small busy village type atmosphere and the bottom one of course is the racetrack known as Avenue Rd. Chalk one up to progress?

What a difference eh Mustapha? The top one has a small busy village type atmosphere and the bottom one of course is the racetrack known as Avenue Rd. Chalk one up to progress?

Yes, a lost neighbourhood right here. No place now to get barbered, a cigar. The 'Loves Lunch with Curb Service' sign intriques. I imagine myself transported back; being served by some 20s 'Flapper'. My luck; it would be my grandmother.:eek:

'Racetrack' - definitely - some drivers here routinely do 80km. The 'whump' they make as they go by and the overall traffic noise is terrible.

I miss the awnings on the shops. They were a great place to wait out a shower. The friendlier proprietors would give a nod and a smile as you took shelter. The crik crik as the shop keepers rolled them up and down...

Last edited:
Feb 6 addition

Yonge and Berwick. NW corner.

ser71_s0071_it4388.jpg

Our handsome little devil is located at the bottom left of this 'map':

ser381_s0381_fl0086_id7551-2.jpg

DSCF0223-2.jpg

Feb 8 addition

Old Mill bridge over Humber river.

fo1231_f1231_it1537.jpg

Our stone house in the 'then' picture is still there; behind the two small red flags.

DSCF0199-2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10 addition

Dundas W veers to the left here at this 'Y'. To get to Dupont veer right at this 'Y'.

NOTE: On Feb 11 adma posted:

""
Re the Dundas/Dupont pic: I wonder if the old image was further down the intersection--presuming that Dupont once crossed the tracks at grade; remember that the whole configuration here was reworked and "bypassed" circa the 20s/30s, and the old Dundas alignment followed the present access road to Dupont from the south... """"

I'll try to get a era map to corroborate this, and retake the pic from the new location... in any event, I will take another photo 'further down' - north - and post it here in a week or so.

fo1231_f1231_it1106b.jpg

DSCF0208.jpg

Last edited:
Dundas W veers to the left here at this 'Y'. To get to Dupont veer right at this 'Y'.

fo1231_f1231_it1106b.jpg

DSCF0208.jpg

I would not have suspected that such a currently drab intersection once had a beautiful built form like that.

That stucco makeover for that building at Dupont and Davenport really ruined that building. It makes me wonder what make someone feel that covering up that pattern in the brickwork and removing other distinguishing elements was a good idea.

Back