News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

111 Richmond opened for business in 1954. My 'before' Dundas photo - sorry but I've forgotten the search term I used to find it (and its associated notation). So I can't date it. Can any UTers help?

For what it's worth:

Piper Laurie co-starred with Tony Curtis in "The Prince Who Was a Thief" (1951), "Son of Ali Baba" (1952), "No Room for the Groom" (1952) and "Johnny Dark" (1954).

Piper Laurie co-starred with Donald O'Connor in The Milkman (1950) and "Francis Goes to the Races" (1951).

Tony Curtis made a brief appearance in "Francis the Talking Mule" (1949) with Donald O'Connor.

The three never made a movie together that I can find.

Edit: Oops, sorry. I was trying to date the June 2 "before" picture, but that's not the one asked about.

Last edited by a moderator:
From our twitter feed

Ed007Toronto and 'twitterfeeder',.. thanks. I'll take this as a request. I'll get a couple of locations and put them into the 'pipeline'.

For what it's worth:

Piper Laurie co-starred with Tony Curtis in "The Prince Who Was a Thief" (1951), "Son of Ali Baba" (1952), "No Room for the Groom" (1952) and "Johnny Dark" (1954).

Piper Laurie co-starred with Donald O'Connor in The Milkman (1950) and "Francis Goes to the Races" (1951).

Tony Curtis made a brief appearance in "Francis the Talking Mule" (1949) with Donald O'Connor.

Edit: Oops, sorry. I was trying to date the June 2 "before" picture, but that's not the one asked about.

Thanks ok, I love movie trivia. Tony Curtis was the Brad Pitt of his day. :)

June 4 addition.

Church and Richmond NW corner.

churchrichmondlookingNW.jpg

DSCF1702.jpg

Last edited:
For what it's worth:

Yeah, I checked that out also. I was surprised how many films Piper & Tony made together - I've never thought of Donald O'Conner as Don. It's not right.

Well, except for a little thermopane and such, it wasn't really altered at all other than through expansion...

Mustapha:
"There are lots of pics online of this Beaches icon. I'll go down tonite (in the nabe with my son) and take one for you".

Nice new sign!
The new sign makes it impossible for the "Goof" to reappear! Thanks, I have not been to that area for many years but I did love going to the fox theater for a cheap movie night with my then cheap boyfriend.

Last edited:
Old East York

Same two buildings on the corners?
Almost 100 years ago!

Attachments

• TN Pape at Cosburn 1911-2009.jpg
    TN Pape at Cosburn 1911-2009.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 442
Same two buildings on the corners?
Almost 100 years ago!

They are. Thanks Goldie. That's a great area. Almost bought a house there; was outbid.:mad:

I forget to check this thread. It's amazing. Mustapha, you are a god around here.

Barton Street in Hamilton is a gold mine for old neon signs. Check that out!

'God', LOL. Thanks ShonTron; the pleasure's all mine in this thread.

Barton street..I thought there is enough to see in flar's pictures, but I will make the trip, with a camera, thx for the tip.

June 7 addition.

329 Royal York Road. Christ Church Mimico and cemetery.

fo1568_f1568_it0038.jpg

DSCF1722.jpg

DSCF1724.jpg

DSCF1723.jpg

NB: the church in the first photo burnt down around 1955. Its replacement burnt just a couple of years ago, whereupon the congregation folded and the present memorial park installed.

Back