305     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

1.jpg
2 (800x600).jpg

yep, it works good. no more messing with photobucket. then: Maple Leaf Gardens centre ice. Now: red spot in aisle 25 at the Loblaws in the former Gardens.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,503
  • 2 (800x600).jpg
    2 (800x600).jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 2,629
View attachment 65187 View attachment 65188

yep, it works good. no more messing with photobucket. then: Maple Leaf Gardens centre ice. Now: red spot in aisle 25 at the Loblaws in the former Gardens.
The funny thing is that the center ice faceoff circle in hockey is blue, not red. If that red dot in the aisle is to represent where the center ice circle was on the ice surface (which I believe it is), then it is technically incorrect in its appearance.

I've probably posted too many Harbour Commission Building items.
However, this one is meant to keep the string active and thriving:

TN Harbour Commission Bldg. at waters edge 1920.jpg

Attachments

• TN Harbour Commission Bldg. at waters edge 1920.jpg
    TN Harbour Commission Bldg. at waters edge 1920.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 4,026
And here's a challenge ---- can someone provide a "Now" image (featuring the stone) to accompany this 1919 image of a U. of T. event?
Cornerstone of the "Soldiers' Tower" being laid by Governor General, the Duke of Devonshire.

Soldiers' Tower cornerstone - Governor General, the Duke of Devonshire 1919.jpg

Attachments

• Soldiers' Tower cornerstone - Governor General, the Duke of Devonshire 1919.jpg
    Soldiers' Tower cornerstone - Governor General, the Duke of Devonshire 1919.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 2,441
Seeing that this view was about to disappear behind a new condo being built a couple of years ago, I did my own version of the Harbour Commission Building, but had never got around to posting it.
Harbor Commission Building 1920_2012.jpg

Attachments

• Harbor Commission Building 1920_2012.jpg
    Harbor Commission Building 1920_2012.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 1,860
Thanks, Goldie:

When I first encountered this forum, I was impressed and inspired by the shots taken by yourself and Mustapha.
Though my interest is more historic than photographic, it seems the most relevant way to make a comparison, whenever and wherever possible.
I hope to find the time to do more of them in the future.

Joe

The Scarborough Bluffs Refreshment Room was constructed in 1903. The business was opened by Albert Stinson to attract customers disembarking from the streetcar and continuing southward toward Lake Ontario where, by 1911, Scarborough Township had established Scarborough Bluffs Park.

TN Kingston-Midland store-house SE corner.jpg

TN Midland historic site.jpg

Attachments

• TN Kingston-Midland store-house SE corner.jpg
    TN Kingston-Midland store-house SE corner.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 1,821
  • TN Midland historic site.jpg
    TN Midland historic site.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 1,749
Although I haven't cared about the Leafs for a decade, I'm so glad they finally changed that clunky, inelegant logo. The new one is quite attractive and it actually looks more like a maple leaf. The current one doesn't even resemble one.

The funny thing is that the center ice faceoff circle in hockey is blue, not red. If that red dot in the aisle is to represent where the center ice circle was on the ice surface (which I believe it is), then it is technically incorrect in its appearance.

Funny that they got the colour wrong. And there is not even a plaque nearby to commemorate. It's like Loblaws wanted to keep it a secret just for those in the know...

Funny that they got the colour wrong. And there is not even a plaque nearby to commemorate. It's like Loblaws wanted to keep it a secret just for those in the know...
That's an understandable mistake. All other faceoff circles in hockey are red. And there was a history of the space written on the back of a jar of pickles; but someone bought it.

Back