TN Bloor at Lansdowne by Google.jpg

Attachments

• TN Bloor at Lansdowne 1923 G&M photo.jpg
    TN Bloor at Lansdowne 1923 G&M photo.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 650
  • TN Bloor at Lansdowne by Google.jpg
    TN Bloor at Lansdowne by Google.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 643
wow Goldie, 21 Kingston Road.. it's like preserved in amber. I wonder if it sold in 2015. It wouldn't go cheap. And the new owner has a million dollar reno just to bring it up to a reasonable mod con spec.

And it seems to me that this kind of leaving-well-enough-alone approach was the norm going into the 1970s, at least--the fact that the house has maintained that leaving-well-enough-alone ethos into *2017* is incredible: little or no boxed-in or stripped detail, much less worse disfigurations...

Most of you people probably think I don't sleep.

Another nighttime [dusk actually] prowl tonight; this time along Gerrard St. E.

I walked by 1300 Gerrard and that machine in there caught my eye. Very 'H.G. Wells'. It had my attention immediately.

That there thing has a 'i.d.' plate that says 'International Projector Simplex.'

If you Google: '1300 Gerrard Street East' or 'International Projector Simplex' there's lots to read. To start with, the building originated in 1914 as the Classic Theatre.

So, I wonder if the projector is original to the Classic Theatre? Silly question on a seconds reflection.. how else did it wind up in the lobby? :)

It seems complete. Someone cared enough to preserve it instead of scrapping it. Which is pretty amazing. And given its size, doubly amazing.

Sorry about the reflections thru the glass doors.

P7060025resized.jpg
P7060026resized.jpg

Attachments

• P7060025resized.jpg
    P7060025resized.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 514
  • P7060026resized.jpg
    P7060026resized.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 496
Last edited:
DID the same at the 1914, The United Drug Co, later known as Rexall Drug Co, now known as Broadview Lofts. A large, manually operated waste bailer was redeemed , and now rests next to the Front Desk of that condo. Also, the original roof mounted iron water tower, was removed, restored and replaced from the East - West building, to the roof of the new South - East Building, it being a Landmark to the entering of East End of the city, via Eastern Avenue at Broadview.

Regards,
J T

Wonderful find, Mustapha……I'm so pleased that you recorded that movie machine.

Some UTers may be interested in visiting a unique cinema and movie museum located in Kinmount, Ont.
Highland Cinemas consists of 5 theatres in a small town that caters to the summer holiday crowd. But its best feature (as well as first-run feature films) is the wonderful museum of movie equipment and memorabilia.

Here's the web address: http://highlandscinemas.com/

Kinmount.jpg

Attachments

• Kinmount.jpg
    Kinmount.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 661
Wonderful find, Mustapha……I'm so pleased that you recorded that movie machine.

Some UTers may be interested in visiting a unique cinema and movie museum located in Kinmount, Ont.
Highland Cinemas consists of 5 theatres in a small town that caters to the summer holiday crowd. But its best feature (as well as first-run feature films) is the wonderful museum of movie equipment and memorabilia.

Here's the web address: http://highlandscinemas.com/

View attachment 114123

Amazing, Goldie. Never knew of this place. Will make a overnight trip of it. Thanks.

DID the same at the 1914, The United Drug Co, later known as Rexall Drug Co, now known as Broadview Lofts. A large, manually operated waste bailer was redeemed , and now rests next to the Front Desk of that condo. Also, the original roof mounted iron water tower, was removed, restored and replaced from the East - West building, to the roof of the new South - East Building, it being a Landmark to the entering of East End of the city, via Eastern Avenue at Broadview.

Regards,
J T

I googled Broadview lofts, found a pic with the water tower. Quite distinctive.

Hi gang. This thread isn't as active as it used to be. I feel that the really thought and discussion provoking Then pictures at the online Toronto archives have already been shown here at Urban Toronto in this and related threads.

I miss seeing some of the old names posting.. but if you are reading.. 'Hi.'

Over the last year two friends that used to spend a lot of time here in this thread passed away. 'ValsHere' was mostly a lurker but posted on a couple of occasions and was a Facebook friend who I never met in person - but always encouraged me outside of Urban Toronto.

'wwwebster' and I collaborated on a series of Rosedale mansion pictures a few years back. I actually met him once for coffee; a good guy..

Old Grand-Trunk-Railroad Station on Yonge St. between Scott Lane and Esplanade c.1907

TN Old GTR Station c. 1907.jpg

Yonge north of Esplanade

TN -GTR Station- Yonge St. at Esplanade.jpg

Image from Google street-view

Attachments

• TN Old GTR Station c. 1907.jpg
    TN Old GTR Station c. 1907.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 556
  • TN -GTR Station- Yonge St. at Esplanade.jpg
    TN -GTR Station- Yonge St. at Esplanade.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 518
Unveiling of University Ave. monument to Anglo-Boer War, 1908