News   Jun 26, 2024
 129     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Oy, what is it about 'Variety store' owners - not a single one cares about 'dressing' their windows.

They're usually the ugliest storefronts in every neighbourhood. I figure the immigrant owners make do with narrow profit margins and possibly don't even have alarms or insurance for their merchandise. They always bar and clutter up their windows so no one breaks in overnight to steal cash or cigarettes, which would be devastating to their businesses.

"not a single one cares about 'dressing' their windows."
Mustapha.

Isn't this a mirror of most present day personal clothing wear?

Regards,
J T

...' "Moderne district" ' ... adma, this turn of phrase; and thecharioteer's panorama picture bring into perspective what was lost here. Now we only have College Park to the north, and the former TD bank at Yonge and Gerrard to the south.

And more subtly/modestly, the happily resurrected now-Starbucks on the E side of Yonge. (And the ex-Bassels Gerrard Building might count as "proto-Moderne".)

A not wholly original thought, 'cause thecharioteer mentioned it :): we have much to be thankful for to the S. S. Kresge Company. They brought - while it lasted - some eye catching architecture to Toronto [here,, Yonge and College, Yonge and Richmond...].

As well as extant ex-stores like Roncy, Coxwell-Gerrard, etc.

Is that a private house Goldie?

I wonder how many of the timbers are original?

Just ruminating.

I'm not sure, Mustapha. It may be owned by the City.
It's been under renovation for a few years and I've never seen any sign of life.
I wish now that I had gone to the door with your questions.
Maybe when I next pass by.

P.S. I've just discovered these pages (Heritage Designation) that give a concise history of that house:

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/statutorynotices/archive2007/oct/id-hl_101707.htm

http://www.thegridto.com/city/places/derelict-delights-171-midland-ave/

Last edited:
...' "Moderne district" ' ... adma, this turn of phrase; and thecharioteer's panorama picture bring into perspective what was lost here. Now we only have College Park to the north, and the former TD bank at Yonge and Gerrard to the south.

A not wholly original thought, 'cause thecharioteer mentioned it :): we have much to be thankful for to the S. S. Kresge Company. They brought - while it lasted - some eye catching architecture to Toronto [here,, Yonge and College, Yonge and Richmond...].

Now if the Yonge/Carlton Kresge and the Odeon Carlton were still with us; there's a Moderne District!

"...And the ex-Bassels Gerrard Building might count as "proto-Moderne".)"

The decor - within - of Bassels was a visual delight of 1930s cues: black tile, mirrors, wood veneer, red banquettes, indirect lighting built into curved and coved vaulted/trayed ceilings. Stainless steel trim everywhere, from the counter seats to the menu holders. And yes, they had a counter; running in a U shape from the back of the restaurant to the entrance and doubling back again.

And there doesn't seem to be a single d****d picture anywhere on the internet.

Forgive my monomania for bringing up Bassels over and over in this thread on any backhanded pretext, but Toronto lost a magical interior when it closed.

Good food too.

I guess we could always include MLG, or would that be late Deco vs. early Moderne?

Another missing storefront has magically appeared - thanks, charioteer!

That's a wonderful shot of Maple Leaf Gardens. Specifically because it includes the only image I have ever seen of McCutcheons Camera Shop where my Dad bought our 8mm home-movie camera around 1940 - I still have the films!
McCutcheonsCameraShop_zps6f28a1c2.jpg

MLG still counts--it's Deco, after all. And don't forget Toronto Hydro, too

Even the 2 Carlton building might count as a tailfin/Googie-era continuation of the kind of joie de vivre that once might have been Moderne...

GECO munitions plant in Scarborough

A mural, commemorating a WWII Scarborough munitions plant that filled over 256 million fuses for the Allied Forces, was unveiled in October, 2014. The GECO (General Engineering Company) mural is located in the railroad underpass on St. Clair Ave. E. just east of Warden. The vast wartime project was south of Eglinton, between Birchmount and Warden.

GECOmuralLS_zps946a1abd.jpg

GECOmuralCU_zpsb5464242.jpg

1942 photo:

GECO1942_zps46d587b2.jpg

Back