1.5K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Early Scarborough settlers

159SouthWoodrowBlvd1923_zpsd7aed82a.jpg

159SouthWoodrow_zps1a26ad87.jpg

Bomb girls!
My mother worked there! As I remember she said she put detonator caps on the bombs. She always complained that the early fluorescent lighting damaged her eyesight. She would travel from Wilson and Bathurst by TTC and sometimes on the way home would stop somewhere along the route, on high spot close to home and watch the city go dark during blackout warnings.

Birchmount at Kingston Rd.

The "radial car" line along Kingston Rd. from Queen St. E. to West Hill ceased operation in 1936.

BirchmountatKingstonRdlookingN_zpsff17c4ff.jpg

BirchmounsSofKingston_zps0daebcae.jpg

The "radial car" line along Kingston Rd. from Queen St. E. to West Hill ceased operation in 1936.

...and interestingly, coinciding with Kingston Road/Hwy 2's widening into a divided roadway. (The radial ROW probably provided the elbow room to widen.)

There's also the former Warner Bros building on the NE corner of Church and Carlton, which brought a tiny bit of Hollywood glamour to Toronto. My googling this building brought me to this image of movie ads from 1932/1933 which is worth sharing:

View attachment 36954

http://silenttoronto.com/?tag=toronto-movie-theatres

In the centrally located ad for 'International House', 'Baby Rose Marie' is mentioned. I thought to myself: could this really have been a baby? Something to do with the old Dick Van Dyke show? Yep on both counts. And she's still with us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Marie

BirchmountatKingstonRdlookingN_zpsff17c4ff.jpg

BirchmounsSofKingston_zps0daebcae.jpg

That's a couple of nice reasonably high resolution Then Scarborough pictures lately Goldie. Great touch waiting for the bus.

My mother worked there! As I remember she said she put detonator caps on the bombs. She always complained that the early fluorescent lighting damaged her eyesight. She would travel from Wilson and Bathurst by TTC and sometimes on the way home would stop somewhere along the route, on high spot close to home and watch the city go dark during blackout warnings.

I had to look it up:

a1Op1665UKEOWWIIpdf-AdobeReader_zps30192da6.jpg

"The 700 and 701 are used in the 3in anti aircraft rocket .During acceleration air enters the holes in the tip of the fuze causing pressure to build up which forces the plunger down over the striker.The lower edge of the plunger bearing on the outer edge of the pawls,causes there inner ends to lift the striker and compress the striker spring.This movement continues untill the inner ends of the pawls are rotated clear of the striker which is then driven into the percussion cap initiating the delay train in the upper time ring.This in turn ignites the delay train in the lower time setting ring which burns for the required period,and then initiates the gunpowder charge in the base of the fuze.The explosion of the gunpowder charge initiates the gain no13 which is located in the adapter ring below the fuze
The 701 is almost identical to the 700 except that instead of using gain no13 this fuze is fitted with a magazine containing two CE pellets which is an integral part of the fuze assembly
regards spotter "

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ordnance-ammo/ww2-shell-fuse-3887/

And, an edit to add a couple of pictures of a training fuse, I think. JT Cunningham owns this curiosity. Will wonders never cease. He seems like such a peaceable man too. :)

FUSENo1-RMCCo001_zps8b675ab4.jpg

FUSENo1-RMCCo002_zps4e236387.jpg

Last edited:
...and interestingly, coinciding with Kingston Road/Hwy 2's widening into a divided roadway. (The radial ROW probably provided the elbow room to widen.)

And speaking of that radial car route, here's another story:

Kingston Rd. at Midland

The Half Way House (so-named because it was between Dunbarton (Pickering) and the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto) was located at the N/W corner.
It was built c.1848 and moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1966.
Replaced by a brick post office building which has now become a fitness establishment.

KingstonRdradialcaratMidlandc1918_zps560ee7be.jpg

KingstonRdatMidland1_zps39adea25.jpg

Kingston-Midlandcyclists_zps7fcdf7b2.jpg

KingstonRdatMidland4_zpsfea5a613.jpg

KingstonRdatMidland3_zpsbaf6f70e.jpg

HWHc1849_zpse2ae4822.jpg

HWH1910_zpsea64c930.jpg

HWH1920_zps41d782c3.jpg

HWH1952_zpsfe248bda.jpg

Then. 29-31-33-35 Beverley Street. Oct 2, 1946. I actually chose this picture to make a point about stained glass windows; that being, they are lovely, and add a nice visual touch to an interior when the sun's rays strike them directly. But I do realize they are out of place in modern homes.

1279_zpsd091ce35.jpg

Now. July 2014.

1280_zpsac507b8b.jpg

Then. 29-31-33-35 Beverley Street. Oct 2, 1946. I actually chose this picture to make a point about stained glass windows; that being, they are lovely, and add a nice visual touch to an interior when the sun's rays strike them directly. But I do realize they are out of place in modern homes.

1279_zpsd091ce35.jpg

Now. July 2014.

1280_zpsac507b8b.jpg

"Out of place" indeed!

When I last visited my birthplace on Donlands Ave., I found an original satined-glass window still visible (from the outside), but much the worse-for-wear. I believed the house was built c.1930.
I was invited to tour the interior and was surprised to see that this window is now unseen behind a recent wall renovation. It was once a high-level living room window.

Donlandsstained-glasswindow_zpsfb577d13.jpg

Back