News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.1K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

So I'm seeing spiffy new Rexall drug stores sprouting all over the place lately (Spadina and College, Queen and University); and I'm saying to myself; this is an American company, right?, I've seen them all over the USA, now making inroads into Canada to do battle with Shoppers drugs.

Well, I was wrong, it's owned by a Canadian company.

I recall a couple of rexall's in east York in the 60's.
one at lumsden and woodbine and another at sammon and coxwell....
lasted into the 90's if memory serves and both are now gone

So I'm seeing spiffy new Rexall drug stores sprouting all over the place lately (Spadina and College, Queen and University); and I'm saying to myself; this is an American company, right?, I've seen them all over the USA, now making inroads into Canada to do battle with Shoppers drugs.

Anyhow, a bit of Googling comes up with some fascinating Rexall history and a neat Toronto angle.

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_Toronto/rexall.html

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_Toronto/fez_city.html
:D

s0071_it5435.jpg

I recall a couple of rexall's in east York in the 60's.
one at lumsden and woodbine and another at sammon and coxwell....
lasted into the 90's if memory serves and both are now gone

I believe there's still a semi-old-school (well, 70s I suppose) Rexall sign on Roncy N of King + Queen...

Yonge & Adelaide, June 5, 1900 (TPL):

Yonge & Adelaide, June 19, 2014:

In the old photo... lovely minarets on the Confederation Life building in the right distance. On the left... Blachfords Boots and Shoes - one of the grandchildren of the owner of that store lived not far from me; his grandchild was a chum of my son.

ok, ok everyone. I will now concede there were Rexall drug stores in Toronto prior to my ill-informed declaration. :)

Hoopers. They are still in business in Port Credit. I wonder if Anna's Then picture is the same as the present day location.

http://www.hoopershealth.com/about-hoopers/about-hoopers-pharmacy/

The current location looks like it used to be a bank.

LG_G466.jpg

I think the old location is 94 Lakeshore Road East (now a 241 Pizza), next door to 100 Lakeshore East seen here:

LG_G407.jpg

Wait a sec, this isn't Mississauga then and now.

Last edited:
We had a discussion of Union Station a while ago so I thought I might post this info from Derek Boles:
July 1, 1873:
Toronto's 2nd Union Station opens for business, the largest and most opulent railway station in Canada. Built on the site of Toronto's first Union Station (1858), the new facility occupied most of the block between York and Simcoe streets. The three track trainshed was 470 feet in length and the 100-foot high clock tower was long the most familiar landmark on Toronto's waterfront. Celebrations were muted owing to the death of the builder of the station, John Shedden, who was killed in a railway accident on the Toronto & Nipissing Railway a few weeks earlier. Owned and operated by the Grand Trunk, the station owed its "union" status to the narrow gauge Toronto, Grey & Bruce, whose 3'6" track was the northernmost in the 3-track trainshed. Great Western and Northern trains continued to use their own Toronto terminals until those railways were absorbed by the Grand Trunk in the 1880s. By the 1890s, all railways operating into Toronto were stabled at Union Station and the facility was extensively remodeled by 1896. The 1873 headhouse remained in operation until the present Union Station opened in August 1927. The clock was removed from the tower before demolition and has been preserved in Huntsville. In 1929, the station site was occupied by the Canadian National Express building, which was transformed into the Skywalk in 1989 and is now being re-purposed as a rail terminal once again to serve passengers on the Union-Pearson Express, expected to begin operations in 2015.

We had a discussion of Union Station a while ago so I thought I might post this info from Derek Boles:
July 1, 1873:
Toronto's 2nd Union Station opens for business, the largest and most opulent railway station in Canada. Built on the site of Toronto's first Union Station (1858), the new facility occupied most of the block between York and Simcoe streets. The three track trainshed was 470 feet in length and the 100-foot high clock tower was long the most familiar landmark on Toronto's waterfront. Celebrations were muted owing to the death of the builder of the station, John Shedden, who was killed in a railway accident on the Toronto & Nipissing Railway a few weeks earlier. Owned and operated by the Grand Trunk, the station owed its "union" status to the narrow gauge Toronto, Grey & Bruce, whose 3'6" track was the northernmost in the 3-track trainshed. Great Western and Northern trains continued to use their own Toronto terminals until those railways were absorbed by the Grand Trunk in the 1880s. By the 1890s, all railways operating into Toronto were stabled at Union Station and the facility was extensively remodeled by 1896. The 1873 headhouse remained in operation until the present Union Station opened in August 1927. The clock was removed from the tower before demolition and has been preserved in Huntsville. In 1929, the station site was occupied by the Canadian National Express building, which was transformed into the Skywalk in 1989 and is now being re-purposed as a rail terminal once again to serve passengers on the Union-Pearson Express, expected to begin operations in 2015.

Great article, railmus!

2ndunionstation1lg.jpg

http://www.trha.ca/2ndunionstation.html

1888:

1888.jpg

1926:

oldunionstation4.jpg

Attachments

• 2ndunionstation1lg.jpg
    2ndunionstation1lg.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,363
  • 1888.jpg
    1888.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • oldunionstation4.jpg
    oldunionstation4.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
Then. Did I do this one already? Can't remember. Forgive me if I have.

Oct. 26, 1981.

'View of the demolition of the Otto Higel building at King and Bathurst Street.'

1240ViewofthedemolitionoftheOttoHigelbuildingatKingandBathurstStreetoct2681_zps519a62b3.jpg

Now. March 2014.

1241_zps5c587cd6.jpg

"Then. Did I do this one already? Can't remember. Forgive me if I have."
Mustapha.

You are forgiven.

Regards,
J T

Back