News   Jul 04, 2024
 343     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 388     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 946     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Yes, a visit is clearly in order and the Toronto Port Authority seem to have quite a substantial photo-archive. I just borrowed "Reflections of Toronto Harbour" from the TPL - it is filled with (not terribly well reproduced) photos that appear to belong to TPA. Let's hope they do some digitisation!

A useful question about visits to any photo archive is this: Are visitors allowed to copy the original photographs on-site with their digital cameras?
Perhaps some recent visitors will describe their experiences.

The 1914 directory lists the house as vacant. The 1917 and 1919 directories list the occupant as Mrs. Jane Gibson, and by 1921 the occupant is George Grieve. The house pictured is by Bond and Smith. The Burke, Horwood & White plans may have been for an interior renovation, or a backyard extension, or simply a dream never realized.

Thanks! Wm E H Carter was still in business in 1914 but lists only his office address. Perhaps he went into the army and sold the house. But Mrs Gibson choosing to renovate her 4-year-old house is still odd. Perhaps it was a lemon?

Then and Now for June 6.

Then. 18 Clarendon Avenue. c1910.

60618ClarendonAvec1915.jpg

Now. September 2011.

607.jpg

I could imagine one referring to, say, the Hudson's Bay Centre, but...TD? Really?

Hudson's Bay Centre? Really? :D The three black monoliths that are TD Centre are (in my opinion) ugly, bland and...well...cheap! I don't care if the architect was some muckamuck of the architect world. It just reaks of late 60s/early 70s laziness — under the guise of 'modernity', 'boldness', 'avant garde' .... :rolleyes:

Bloor west 1890's

I've always been fascinated by the rare photos of parts of Toronto when they were still virtually countryside. Like this one looking east on Bloor at the CP crossing in 1901:

bloor_west.jpg

Today, courtesy of google:

bloor_west2.jpg

And the houses visible on the left on Perth avenue:

Perth_houses.jpg

Last edited:
Hudson's Bay Centre? Really? :D The three black monoliths that are TD Centre are (in my opinion) ugly, bland and...well...cheap! I don't care if the architect was some muckamuck of the architect world. It just reaks of late 60s/early 70s laziness — under the guise of 'modernity', 'boldness', 'avant garde' .... :rolleyes:

Funny. If there's a criticism of these great buildings, it would be that they were too retro for their time, not too avant garde. Lake Shore Apts were completed in 1951 and Seagram Bldg in 1958 I believe. The TD Centre is a reprise of those designs but a very good one. Still we might have got something more unique if Phyllis Lambert hadn't put the fix in for Mies.

Funny. If there's a criticism of these great buildings, it would be that they were too retro for their time, not too avant garde. Lake Shore Apts were completed in 1951 and Seagram Bldg in 1958 I believe. The TD Centre is a reprise of those designs but a very good one. Still we might have got something more unique if Phyllis Lambert hadn't put the fix in for Mies.

It's an interesting "what-if", k10ery, but would have the original architect Gordon Bunshaft of SOM have actually come up with something more "unique"? Here's a description on Wikipedia of the process that occured:

After the 1955 merger of the Bank of Toronto and the Dominion Bank solidified in 1962, the Toronto-Dominion bank directors decided to commission a new headquarters to demonstrate the bank's emergence as a reputable national institution.[5] Allen Lambert, past President and Chairman of the Board of the Toronto-Dominion Bank, secured a cooperative partnership in the late 1950s with the Bronfman owned Fairview Corporation (now Cadillac Fairview) in order to build a new headquarters for the Toronto-Dominion Bank;[16] this marked a first for the development process in Canada, in that a bank, rather than creating its head office alone, had aligned itself with real estate interests and the city to influence urban space.[17] The partnership was established as a 50-50 one, with the bank having the final say on the design of the complex, and Phyllis Lambert – sister-in-law to Allen Lambert, and a member of the Bronfman family – was called in as an advisor on the T-D Centre competition. Gordon Bunshaft, then chief designer of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, was originally hired by the consortium;[5] his proposal called for exterior structural supports for the main office tower, which then necessitated piston-like slip joints at the roof level to deal with weather related expansion and contraction of the structure. Phyllis Lambert objected to this submission, seeing it as too radical, and later stating in an interview that it "was a ridiculous proposal on many levels... Even in a milder climate, it would have been problematic."[18] Bunshaft, due to his refusal to redesign, was relieved of his commission.[5]

This departure left John Parkin, the local architect who would have worked with the American Bunshaft, to design Toronto-Dominion Centre. His firm put forward a model showing a 100 storey all-concrete tower – to be the largest in the Commonwealth – standing over a plaza with a sunken courtyard containing a circular banking pavilion.[19] It was at this point that Phyllis Lambert insisted that Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (whom she knew from having been the director of planning on his Seagram Building) be called for an interview.[5] Mies was unimpressed by Parkin's concept designs and wondered why one would design a building to be entered through its basement. With this, the Parkin proposal was scrapped[19] and Allen Lambert was convinced to bring Mies on board. Though he was technically commissioned as the design consultant to the local architects, John B. Parkin and Associates and Bregman + Hamann Architects, the project was essentially Mies' design in its entirety, demonstrating all the key characteristics of the architect's unique style.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto-Dominion_Centre

td.jpg

Last edited:
I've always been fascinated by the rare photos of parts of Toronto when they were still virtually countryside. Like this one looking east on Bloor at the CP crossing in 1901:

bloor_west.jpg

Today, courtesy of google:

bloor_west2.jpg

And the houses visible on the left on Perth avenue:

Perth_houses.jpg

Thanks Yonderbean; great post and an interesting point you've brought up. The bulk of Toronto Then and Nows here or anywhere else on the interwebs show what was basically already a built up city even in the heyday (1910s) of such prolific photographers as William James. The 'countryside' wasn't nearly as well documented, although I myself gain some measure of fulfillment from the pictures of Old Scarborough that our Goldie has posted in the past - a Scarborough of split rail fences and rutted dirt roads.

It's an interesting "what-if", k10ery, but would have the original architect Gordon Bunshaft of SOM have actually come up with something more "unique"?

Yes, it's just a "what if". I can't offhand think of a building anywhere in the world built in that period that I would trade the TD Centre for. But I would like to see a drawing of what Bunshaft had in mind. Also the home boy, John C. Parkin, whose unrelenting modernism never seemed to go wrong. Imagine, e.g., a 100-story CAMH tower, with appropriate landscaping around it.

But in the end you can't beat Mies. And without Mies, we might not have got our IM Pei or (less important) our Edward Durell Stone.

Thank you Goldie.

There was one aircraft in Toronto as a spoil of war that was moved to De Havilland Aircraft (Downsview) and was examined by them. After De Haviland and the military got through with it, the airframe was buried. I am (was) with the Canadian Aerospace Museum (formerly Toronto Aerospace Museum) and we were trying to find a photo of that particular airframe either at the CNE or in transit to Downsview.. Photos of the V2 at the CNE in 1952 are an easy find. As you know at present we are homeless but hope springs eternal.

I've been away for a few days...any updates as to a possible new home for the museum? My husband is a member and has also donated his father's papers, and we're really hoping it lands on its feet.

Back