News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 732     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Some amazing work there. Interesting to see the Kingston Road line, which was long gone by the time I was born in 1957, but we still referred to the stop on the Scarborough bus at Midland and Kingston Road as Stop 14 from Bingham (before they introduced the Kingston Road bus and moved the Scarborough bus to Warden station)

In Vancouver, on the Steveston interurban, I note that the east-west numbered routes are Streets (33rd, 41st, etc). They are Avenues now, but I have a suspicion that in the interurban days when that was a separate municipality that street may have been correct. And the station at 57th was known as Shannon Station (as is the present day local retail strip).

One question: is the intention to list nominally surface-running lines but not underground lines? I see you have the Vancouver Skytrain and Canada Lines (mixed underground, surface and elevated) as well as Edmonton LRT and Calgary C-Train (mostly surface), but not the subways in Toronto (mixed underground, surface and elevated) and Montreal (all underground)?

Thank you for your kind words. The difficulty with drawing the subway is where to put the lines. The underground stretches you mentioned in the other lines are relatively short when compared to the Toronto system. What I was hoping to do was have someone ride the subway using a gps tag system but apparently they dont work underground. If a digital example of a fully detailed scale subway system map exists I am not yet aware of it. Then I could just overlay and trace.

I will be in Vancouver/Victoria soon to further study the BCER and ride the new stuff. I look forward to seeing some of these places.

faw

The toronto bloor line is easy to see approxamitly, as most of it is covered by a thin line of parking lots due to its cut and cover construction. You wouldnt be able to get where the cross overs are, but you could get the general route. The yonge and sheppard subways are a different story though.

I stumbled upon this forum and thread by accident while looking for something else. I first feel I have to give a big thank you to Mustapha, Goldie, and crew for all the work that has been done. The photos and the descriptions brought back memories that had been pushed to the almost hidden corners of my mind.

Shopping with my Mom on the excursions downtown to Eatons, Eatons Annex, Simpsons and occasionally Eatons College Street. The movies afterward at Lowes, Elgin, and Carlton theaters with dinner after at Diana Sweets or Frans (miss the lemon meringue pie).

The long gone bars from my college days: Le Coq d'Or, The Golden Bull (under Le Coq d'Or), Brown Derby, San Frans, and although not on Yonge Docs, and the Midwich Cookoo. There were a few others but the memory is now a little fuzzy for a number of reasons.

It is amazing to see how much still remains from the early part of this century and yet sad to see how many magnificent structures have gone. The house my Grandparents had when they first came to Canada is still here but every house I grew up in has long been gone. I now wish I had taken more photos when I lived downtown.

I have for gotten who posted the image of the "key" many pages ago in this thread but just for the heck of it here is the one my Dad used when he he purchased now radio gear in in 1965 after a gap of ten years. The key is a then and now in one shot as it has been made the same way since 1904:

P1000001Cs.jpg

The only then and now I can do right now:

1965:

TorontoSkyline-1965CBWss.jpg

1985:

TorontoSkyline-1987CBWss.jpg

I must go back to the island again.

And finally a photo on Yonge Street looking north at Holland Landing after the last storm to really scare me. Photo was taken October 16, 1954. Yes that is me in the plaid pants.

1954-HH-20_Css.jpg

If you purchased camera equipment downtown in the 1970's and 1980's may have bumped into each other at some of the places I have worked.

I am trying to find a photograph of a Messerschmidt ME-262 that I believe was on display at the CNE about 1952. I have found photos of the V-2 that was on display then. Has anyone run into a photo of this aircraft?

Again thanks for all the work and the memories ... guess I must go downtown again or start wandering around the city with my camera.

Hiya Monk; welcome, powerful entrance. :)

I miss:
*Bassell's restaurant - it had a lunch counter. I miss lunch counters.
*Japan Camera [at Yonge and Dundas]; this chain now is just a shadow of it's former self. I bought a number of 16mm subminiature cameras with my paper route money. I still have one - a Minolta 16PS.

Great photos. The Holland Landing one looks as fresh as yesterday; what wonderful colour. That sky; good grief. :)

Thank you Goldie.

There was one aircraft in Toronto as a spoil of war that was moved to De Havilland Aircraft (Downsview) and was examined by them. After De Haviland and the military got through with it, the airframe was buried. I am (was) with the Canadian Aerospace Museum (formerly Toronto Aerospace Museum) and we were trying to find a photo of that particular airframe either at the CNE or in transit to Downsview.. Photos of the V2 at the CNE in 1952 are an easy find. As you know at present we are homeless but hope springs eternal.

That was a great place to while away an afternoon. Good luck to you folks.

The toronto bloor line is easy to see approxamitly, as most of it is covered by a thin line of parking lots due to its cut and cover construction. You wouldnt be able to get where the cross overs are, but you could get the general route. The yonge and sheppard subways are a different story though.

Those are amazing renderings. I love the 'fantasy' stuff. :)

"49 Dunvegan Road, c1910. Residence of W. Carter. JT?"
QUOTE.

Building destroyed.

-30-

Regards,
J T

Hiya Monk; welcome, powerful entrance. :)

I miss:
*Bassell's restaurant - it had a lunch counter. I miss lunch counters.
*Japan Camera [at Yonge and Dundas]; this chain now is just a shadow of it's former self. I bought a number of 16mm subminiature cameras with my paper route money. I still have one - a Minolta 16PS.

Great photos. The Holland Landing one looks as fresh as yesterday; what wonderful colour. That sky; good grief. :)

The first time I ate at Bassell's was when my Dad and I went down for the closing of the old Pharmacy Building (now part of Ryerson) and I ate there there many times while I was in college. Lindy's was another favourite of mine at during that time. I remember going in there with a friend in a botanical fit and ordering several Lindy burgers and a steak.

Kresge's had a great lunch counter ... seem to remember a grilled cheese and a coke being 60 cents.

A friend of mine work at the JCC so may have bought something from him and then in 74 he joined me at the store I was in.

"Was this building razed then a new one was rebuild with the same shape or was it just extensively renovated?"
QUOTE The_Architect.

Total "reno".

While we are at this, follow the roof ridge line. What we have here is an old sway-back horse, due no doubt,

to the removal of a "it's not a bearing wall"; the lack of workmanship continues . . .

Regards,
J T

BTW:

http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/0...akes-gracious-homes-more-than-just-eye-candy/

Last edited:

Back