News   Jun 26, 2024
 840     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 730     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 666     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for May 24.

Then. 23 Elm Ave, c1910. Residence of Mrs. R. G. McLean.

55523ElmAvec1910.jpg

Now. August 2011.

556.jpg

"23 Elm Ave, c1910. Residence of Mrs. R. G. McLean."
QUOTE Mustapha.

MIGHT'S TORONTO DIRECTORY c1912:

McLean, Mrs Alice.

MIGHT'S TORONTO DIRECTORY c1925:

Mc Lean, Mrs Alice.

MIGHT'S TORONTO DIRECTORY c1925:

Anderson, Ida.

MIGHT'S TORONTO DIRECTORY c1933:

Duncan, Wm C.
General Manager, Ontario Bakeries Ltd.

Regards,
J T

Then and Now for May 24.

Then. 23 Elm Ave, c1910. Residence of Mrs. R. G. McLean.

55523ElmAvec1910.jpg

Now. August 2011.

556.jpg
Well, I am done reading these threads at work. They just implemented a new internet filtering system. Most photo sites are blocked, I cannot see the photos anymore. Flickr, Photobucket, not sure what else, are all blocked. Oddly, Twitter and Facebook are not!

All photography flea market

A great event this weekend for all photographers - amateur or professional (see attachment).

Attachments

• photo sale.jpg
    photo sale.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 264
I like that newel post light. I wonder if it works.

Now to my favourite park, the desk-chair detective work. Here is the R. G. McLean building on Lombard St., built circa 1890.

RGMcLeanPrinters1.jpg

tobuilt does not list an architect. I wonder if it could have been Frederick Herbert. He was apparently designing the Palace Hotel in Richardsonian style around then, and the two buildings have a couple of specific features in common.

PalaceHotel1.jpg

Does anyone know the architect? My only source is tobuilt.

Can't help you with the architect, but if ever a building needed a good paint-stripping, it's the Palace Arms.

About 23 Elm: Shame about the aluminum soffit and the flat glass on the top dormer, but otherwise decently preserved.

Oh, and what I suppose was an original slate roof was replaced with asphalt shingles at some point.

"if ever a building needed a good paint-stripping, it's the Palace Arms."
QUOTE. Blovertis.

Before the present paint job, there was the beginning of a restoration of the brickwork

that started on the extreme left beyond the above shown pic. The skuttlebutt was that

there was way too much paint upon the brick and rather than continue, a repaint was

ordered in it's stead.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Then and Now for May 25.

Then. 81 Binscarth Road. Residence of S. F. May. Wickson and Gregg, Architects.

55781BinscarthRdc1910.jpg

Now. July 2011.

558.jpg

"81 Binscarth Road. Residence of S. F. May."
QUOTE Mustapha.

Aside from destroying the main entranceway, (snow retention problems?) it remains a beauty;

especially with those (6?) fireplaces! I also do like the "ice dam retainers" on the roof, along with

the replacement flagstone steps.

Regards,
J T

Not Toronto but seeing this picture inspired me today as it is where I am currently working.

Then: NE corner of Blackfriar's Road and Union Street, London, c1900. Surrey Chapel (later turned into Blackfriar's Ring, a boxing arena), built in 1872.

the-ring-circa-1900.jpg

And then the same building c1940, now Blackfriar's Ring, partially destroyed by a bomb during the Blitz.

blackfriars-road-surrey-chapel-then.jpg

Now: Palestra House, headquarters and command centre for Transport for London, and where I am currently working.

Kccjfl.jpg

Source for "Then" picture and background information:
http://www.nickelinthemachine.com/2009/06/blackfriars-road-the-ring-and-the-death-of-al-bowlly/
"Now" picture by me 25/05/2012.

Last edited:
Was there anything in-between? (i.e. 50s/60s style construction swept away for Palestra House)

Back