News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.7K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 639     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for May 18.

Then. 121 Elm Avenue c1910. 'Residence of Percival Leadley.' Without being too presumptious, perhaps J T Cunningham will come along soon and tell us who Percy was..

55121ElmAvec1910.jpg

Now. August 2011. Not faithful to the original perspective because of that tree on the left. I like this house; it has, um, punchy colours.

552.jpg

I believe that the Leadley House is third from the right on this mislabelled picture from the Archives:

f1244_it7097.jpg

Speaking of Jarvis Street, here's a wonderful pic of students entering Jarvis Collegiate April 29, 1924, showing the houses which once stood at the NW corner of Jarvis and Maitland:

f1266_it2477.jpg

And a winter view, a few years later:

s0071_it8403.jpg

Last edited:
Then and Now for May 18.

Then. 21 Elm Avenue c1910. 'Residence of Percival Leadley.' Without being too presumptious, perhaps J T Cunningham will come along soon and tell us who Percy was..

55121ElmAvec1910.jpg

Now. August 2011. Not faithful to the original perspective because of that tree on the left. I like this house; it has, um, punchy colours.

552.jpg

More about the Leadlays of 21 Elm Avenue:

From the City of Toronto Archives: Mrs. Percival Leadlay is on the right:
MrsBeemerMrsJephcottandMrsPercyLeadley.jpg

Sale of the family business, Globe and Mail, May 4, 1929 (good timing, not long before the Great Crash):
SaleofELeadlayCo.png

The Leadlay Family in 1955. From left, Charles and his parents Frances and Percival:
TheLeadlays-June1955.jpg

Death Notice for Percival Leadlay, Globe and Mail, July 11, 1961:
DeathNoticePercyLeadlay.png

Story on probate of Percival's estate, Globe and Mail, October 6, 1961 (they used to routinely publish this information back in the day):
LeadlayWill.png

Death Notice for Frances Leadlay, Globe and Mail, February 3, 1975 (she died in that house at the age of 102!)
DeathNoticeFrancesLeadlay.png

Last edited:
I believe that the Leadley House is third from the right on this mislabelled picture from the Archives:

f1244_it7097.jpg

Very nice bit of detective work, thecharioteer. I don't suppose the Toronto Archives will change that hand written description. I could mail them a Sharpie. :)

Last edited:
Another interesting "Then & Now" site:

http://dearphotograph.com/

Inspired by Goldie, I've created an image dedicated to my dear wife.

Dear Z, thanks for sticking with me these 33 years so far. And, by the by, your old family place on Beverley Street could use a lick of paint. Even though you have long moved out, you speak Cantonese like a native born, so could you have a word with the present owners please?

DSCF4564.jpg

"Inspired by Goldie, I've created an image dedicated to my dear wife."
QUOTE Mustapha..

THREE CHEERS FOR "THE ROLLING PIN"!
(May she administer it judiciously.)

Kind regards,
J T

More about the Leadlays of 21 Elm Avenue:
Sale of the family business, Globe and Mail, May 4, 1929 (good timing, not long before the Great Crash):
SaleofELeadlayCo.png

There is a large renovated re-purposed warehous-y type place on the NW corner of Queen and Crawford of - to me - indeterminate age. I wonder if it is the former pulling warehouse.

As to the rest of your post: Wow, just,.. wow. :)

Then and Now for May 21.

Then. 154 Glen Road c1915.

553154GlenRdc1915.jpg

Now. August 2011. An eye-catcher then and today. Quite the 'statement' house.

554.jpg

I won't be near a PC for a few days... I'll be back Wednesday night and resume Then and Now for May 24. Cheers everyone.

Though this is another case where porch enclosure loses it some zip (and all the sadder if it happened very recently--hope not)

'Fraid so. I drove by there today and was shocked at how different/bad it looked. Used to be a favourite...

These are from TO Built - 2006

154GlenRd1.jpg

154GlenRd2.jpg

D. Fitzgerald House, 1913-14, Chadwick & Beckett, at Roxborough Drive (NE) Designated Part V -adopted by City Council on Dec. 10, 1975; Part of the North Rosedale Heritage Conservation District, enacted by City Council on Sept. 30, 2004

"D. Fitzgerald House, 1913-14, Chadwick & Beckett, at Roxborough Drive (N/W)" - changed from n/e
QUOTE Anna.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1919:

Stillman, Charles O
154 Glen Road.
Vice President, Imperial Oil Limited.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1921:

King, Arthur S
154 Glen Road.
President, A S King Silk Co
59 Wellington Street West.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1933:

King, Arthur S