News   May 31, 2024
 851     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The BMO Building was originally a Merchants Bank (full circle, eh?), built in 1915 and is listed:

http://app.toronto.ca/HeritagePreservation/details.do?folderRsn=2436006&propertyRsn=192761

Its architect was apparently aware of the work of the great 18th C French architect Claude-Nicolas Ledoux:

93.jpg

Hôtel d'Hallwyll, 28 rue Michel-le-Comte et 15 rue de Montmorency, Paris. Elévation de la façade sur la rue Michel-le-Comte. 1766

The architect C. J. Gibson was apparently a hard-working guy, according to the DoAC. He did the Merchant's Bank on Dundas at Roncesvalles, less successful imo. losttoronto blog says this is where the Boyd gang got started!

MerchantsBankCanada2.jpg

Thanks for that historical insight, Mustapha.
I didn't know it was another Allen's Theatre building when I was attracted by the blazing colours (last August).
I've always been aware of Allen's Danforth (near Broadview) where I often went after it was named the Century.
This shot (attached) shows that the fire exits have been altered somewhat.

Anyone remember when it was "The Blue Orchid" ?

Look for the hooks.

Occasionally, the confirming identity features of an old theatre are the remaining hooks that once supported a marquee.
I note that they are visible in the Lee's Palace photo (although the architecture is also quite unique).
I was pleased to find similar hooks in place when I was searching for the building that once housed the Cameo on Pape Ave.

Attachments

• Cameo.jpg
    Cameo.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Cameo-TD.jpg
    Cameo-TD.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 291
Occasionally, the confirming identity features of an old theatre are the remaining hooks that once supported a marquee.
I note that they are visible in the Lee's Palace photo (although the architecture is also quite unique).
I was pleased to find similar hooks in place when I was searching for the building that once housed the Cameo on Pape Ave.

It's great to see these 'relics' (that's what I call them). On the College Park building (the old Eatons College street store), a number of ornate and beautiful bronze (I think they are bronze) cast medallions are fixed to the walls at eye level height. Easy to miss and gorgeous to boot.

Then and Now for March 29. Toronto Carpet Factory.

Ok.. I fibbed, I really can't find a great Then picture of the Toronto Carpet Factory in its heyday. So, you won't get one today. That said, not much at all has changed on the outside, so, I hope no loss for those of you that like to see Then and Now comparisons where the Now scene is a dusty field. :)

Located at King W. and Fraser, this is the hulking building that presently houses various creative and tech business tenants. In its day, the Toronto Carpet Factory also made textiles for military use.

Built in stages between 1899 and 1920, the Toronto Carpet Factory today houses a small museum of sorts dedicated to its history. You can visit the 'museum' by entering through the entrance in the 2nd picture below.

468.jpg

470.jpg

471.jpg

472.jpg

473.jpg

467TorontoCarpetCompanyKingStreetWestmakingclothonloomsafter1900.jpg

All of that machinery was operated by a single motor at the end of the "line shaft". (North end of the building.)

What we need here is a pic taken on the top floor of that building shewing No Support Columns - free span!

Regards,
J T

All of that machinery was operated by a single motor at the end of the "line shaft". (North end of the building.)

What we need here is a pic taken on the top floor of that building shewing No Support Columns - free span!

Regards,
J T

Also note that it is fully sprinklered for fire supression!

Then and Now for March 30.

Then.

'King Street looking E to Yonge Street. c 1912.' Of note: One King West has just started construction - the hoardings are up. Also of note: Stop looking at the Now photo to make your inevitable comparisons. Just stop now. :) Focus on the 1912 picture and let the details of this instant in a moment of life captured 100 years ago wash over you.

474.jpg

Now. September 2011.

475.jpg

Also note that it is fully sprinklered for fire supression!

I'm a fire equipment buff. I got several 'General' brand fire extinquishers. No longer made, they were the Rolex of fire extinquishers. All are charged and ready to go. My son saved the house across the street from a could-have-been worse stovetop fire situation when he ran over with one of them. Family thinks I'm not so nuts anymore.

By the by, there was an article making its rounds around the interwebs asking people to think of what they would take in a hurry if their home was ablaze. And they should make a list and post it somewhere. Food for thought...

"Focus on the 1912 picture "
QUOTE Mustapha.

That's the "new" Canadian Pacific Railway Building at the s/e corner of Yonge at King streets

with it's original tile cladding, which was later removed for the now stone cover.

Take note also of the venerable MICHE & CO building; "History Inc".

Regards,
J T

Back