2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"the 1950s "feels" right... what do you think?"
QUOTE Lone Primate.

If I remember correctly it happened during the 70's, with it as an "imposition" for southbound travellers being directed to use the entwinement of

streets to the east of Dufferin Street, south off of Eglinton Avenue west, especially for the tenants/owners/St Hilda's Church-goers, at that time.

The resulting northern terminus, (Northcote? & Eg) not so bad.

Yeah, I seem to recall Vaughan meeting Eg + Duff as late as the 70s or so, too--must have made it one heck of an intersection to traffic-regulate. (I wonder if the first part of the St Hilda's senior's home helped motivate the cul-de-saccing of Vaughan.)

judging by how warm march was, june will be too hot

weren't we also going to go excavate some aircraft parts by the wicksteed cp level crossing?

Someone's got a good memory! I had forgotten about that.

Here's a map with my best recollection of the location.

Attachments

• Aircraft Dump near Wicksteed.jpg
    Aircraft Dump near Wicksteed.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 238
Possible UT 'picnic': You UTers are a funny crowd. You guys and gals will probably carry away anything small enough to chip off from the Guild Inn grounds, or else dig on private property (Wicksteed 'dig'). Perhaps we should just re-excavate the ravine under the Crawford street bridge. :)

Then and Now for March 27.

Then. Front street. Rear of The Toronto Sun building. c1980-ish.

463.jpg

Now. September 2011. No Frills store.

464.jpg

Ironic. Occupy Toronto was upon historical "Commercial". 3 streets & 1 full block done in this map alone.

The "before" Sun photo woud be more 1990ish than 1980ish, if not beyond (depending on when the Sun premises expanded and acquired its red/yellow-brick PoMo makeover)

The "before" Sun photo woud be more 1990ish than 1980ish, if not beyond (depending on when the Sun premises expanded and acquired its red/yellow-brick PoMo makeover)

All that space... was for their presses and paper storage. Sometime around 2005 they shut down their presses, laid off the very specialized labour and contracted it out. Not their fault of course; people started getting their news online.

**Bump** Added new Then picture below. Thanks wwwebster!

Then and Now for March 19.

Then. Dupont and Christie. Looking W across Christie along Dupont. April 30, 1925. An unspectacular enough 'Then' scene - I was fully expecting at least one or both of those bank buildings to have been lost down through the years, or, some sort of 60s glass pavilion replacement. Imagine my surprise...

s0071_it3742.jpg

Now. March 2012.

Here are both bank buildings posing for individual portraits by their proud portrait taker - me - below. I decided to do this instead of the usual same-old-recreated-perspective because: a) Both survived. b) The BOM has a delightful brass plaque of a scale and apparent originality which took my breath away.

Now, while many of you may be saying: stop gushing and let's see the pictures already... I will agree because it is very late as I post these. :)

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DupontChristieSEc1920.jpg

Yeah, I seem to recall Vaughan meeting Eg + Duff as late as the 70s or so, too--must have made it one heck of an intersection to traffic-regulate. (I wonder if the first part of the St Hilda's senior's home helped motivate the cul-de-saccing of Vaughan.)

I'd say the 70's as well. One thing to keep in mind is that Dufferin was a pretty quiet street up until comparatively recently (probably until Vaughan was cul-de-sac'd), and most older maps show Vaughan Rd as the route to take to go south of Eglinton.

All that space... was for their presses and paper storage. Sometime around 2005 they shut down their presses, laid off the very specialized labour and contracted it out. Not their fault of course; people started getting their news online.

As of a few months ago the Sun Building (if it is still called that) has three new floors on top of the No Frills - the future home of Coca Cola. Time for an updated "now"?

As of a few months ago the Sun Building (if it is still called that) has three new floors on top of the No Frills - the future home of Coca Cola. Time for an updated "now"?

I went by a few days ago and saw all the construction commotion. I'll wait until they're finished; is that ok? :) Structurally it's quite the thing to see; lot's of ironwork - the big stuff.

Then and Now for March 28.

Then. 529 Bloor W. c1919. 'New Allen's Theatre, Bloor and Bathurst Street, Toronto. Hynes, Feldman and Watson, Architects.'

465529BloorWestc1919.jpg

Now. September 2011. Lee's Palace.

466.jpg

Those flanking fire exits each side in the Then picture are still there; sorry I forgot to include them in my Now picture..

Then and Now for March 28.

Then. 529 Bloor W. c1919. 'New Allen's Theatre, Bloor and Bathurst Street, Toronto. Hynes, Feldman and Watson, Architects.'

465529BloorWestc1919.jpg

Now. September 2011. Lee's Palace.

466.jpg

Thanks for that historical insight, Mustapha.
I didn't know it was another Allen's Theatre building when I was attracted by the blazing colours (last August).
I've always been aware of Allen's Danforth (near Broadview) where I often went after it was named the Century.
This shot (attached) shows that the fire exits have been altered somewhat.

Attachments

• Lees Palace.jpg
    Lees Palace.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 250

Back