News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 632     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 918     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"No witnesses". Did you ever read the the Mother Jones article where they reference a Ford cost-benefit analysis that concluded it would cost more to fix the problem with an $11 modification per car than to pay off the survivors of the firebomb that was the Pinto? It makes you wonder if these are actual human beings running these corporations.

pic_060.jpg

Me, Dad's Pinto. Cadillac's from that point forward, pretty much.

Attachments

• pic_060.jpg
    pic_060.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 496
St Clair Centre came up around 1977-78. I don't know about the "old" photo: the cars (and fashions--though I don't know whether more out of frumpiness) seems mostly older; yet I thought 2 St Clair West was slightly newer--more 64/65ish?

Interesting, too: not just the indicator of Tamblyn Drugs on the left, but an actual acorn-signed "Tamblyn Lane"...

St Clair Centre came up around 1977-78. I don't know about the "old" photo: the cars (and fashions--though I don't know whether more out of frumpiness) seems mostly older; yet I thought 2 St Clair West was slightly newer--more 64/65ish?

Interesting, too: not just the indicator of Tamblyn Drugs on the left, but an actual acorn-signed "Tamblyn Lane"...

Is that the lane behind the shops on Yonge? It's still there as service to the TTC and some of the shops. We moved to that area in 1977, but I don't remember any construction on the St. Clair Centre. Most of it the retail was indeed vacant though. CFRB Building & United Cigar Store haven't changed. SW corner still the 60's design.

Then and Now for Jan 24.

Then. Yonge looking NE towards the corner of Yonge and Carlton. 1963-ish. The Westbury Hotel is in the left distance. On the right... the voluptuously curvy 'Streamline' style building is the late lamented Kresges store.

f1257_s1057_it0729.jpg

Now. August 2011. The office building in the centre of both pictures shows a clock in the Then picture. In the Now picture a ghostly outline of its former existence can be made out. The Westbury is still with us under a new name.

CSC_0112.jpg

apologies if this has been mentioned before...

i don't normally take the subway but happened to be in greenwood station yesterday and spotted these large framed photographs

now-and-then-greenwood-and-danforth.jpg

are there more of these? i thought this one was really well done, by capturing the comparable ttc vehicle in the "now" photo

^now that you mention it, I recall seeing quite a few of these at various stations.

I'm pretty sure Davisville has a few...

Now. August 2011. The office building in the centre of both pictures shows a clock in the Then picture. In the Now picture a ghostly outline of its former existence can be made out.

I remember that clock. It was a have of mine. I always wondered how you reset it, it being so high. The clock tower at UCC was called "The Four Faced Liar", and was different than the school official time system back then.

Then and Now for Jan 24.

Then. Yonge looking NE towards the corner of Yonge and Carlton. 1963-ish. The Westbury Hotel is in the left distance. On the right... the voluptuously curvy 'Streamline' style building is the late lamented Kresges store.

f1257_s1057_it0729.jpg

Now. August 2011. The office building in the centre of both pictures shows a clock in the Then picture. In the Now picture a ghostly outline of its former existence can be made out. The Westbury is still with us under a new name.

CSC_0112.jpg

Kresge's looked fantastic.

I totally prefer the tree-lined median we have now, though. It adds some flair and panache to that stretch of Yonge.

I totally prefer the tree-lined median we have now, though. It adds some flair and panache to that stretch of Yonge.

Yeah, I agree. It strikes me more as the sort of thing we would have lost over time, rather than gained.

Then and Now for Jan 25.

Then. 228 Roncesvalles. c1917. The local library. Ah, 'Roncy'; always worth a walk. The street swoops and climbs and is lined with the most interesting businesses - a strollers delight. It has the latest aids to allow passengers to safely board streetcars too - go check it out. :)

367228Roncesvallesc1917.jpg

Now. July 2011.

368.jpg

Back