News   Apr 24, 2024
 486     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 662     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 512     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Does anyone remember when seat belts were for the front seats only, then grudgingly, the belts in car backseats were lap only (like on aircraft)?

Yeah, and I remember when shoulder belts were a new thing and they were separate from the lap belts. Some people used the lap belt but not the shoulder belt.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember when seat belts were for the front seats only, then grudgingly, the belts in car backseats were lap only (like on aircraft)?

Ya I remember that. Back in the days when small kids could actually fit behind the front seats.

Heck, I remember when cars didn't have seatbelts.
My baby car seat was a folding metal contraption that hung from the front seat of the car - right in the middle of the divided bench seat which did not latch and folded forward easily to allow access to the back seat.

Heck, I remember when cars didn't have seatbelts.
My baby car seat was a folding metal contraption that hung from the front seat of the car - right in the middle of the divided bench seat which did not latch and folded forward easily to allow access to the back seat.

Imagine if you will a large GM car (say an Olds Ninety-Eight) of the late 60s/early 70s--the kind with the wide fold-down arm rest in the middle of the front seat.

That arm rest was my "car seat" when I was about three or four. I used to love riding there.

Imagine if you will a large GM car (say an Olds Ninety-Eight) of the late 60s/early 70s--the kind with the wide fold-down arm rest in the middle of the front seat.

That arm rest was my "car seat" when I was about three or four. I used to love riding there.

I know what you mean... I used the ride the transmission hump between the front and back seats like a kid on a pony. :)

Nice! Yours? Looks all original. You've hidden just enough of the logo to make it a guessing game for those of us that care to know. :)

Anyways, my 60s car story: Smashed my nose into the metal - yes kiddies, that's sheet metal - dash of gramps' 62ish Pontiac. Blood all over. I remember someone running off to get an ice cream cone for me. I remember blood mingling with ice cream.

I also remember Anna's story - my version: a 1968 2 door Valiant that belonged to buddies - the back seat was also reached via a folding front seatback that just flapped back and forth, no locking mechanism. Must have been a joy to have those passengers slam into you from behind in an accident. What were the automakers thinking?

Have you guys ever seen the crash test between the 1959 Chevy Bel Air and the 2009 Chevy Malibu? Remember Doc in Back to the Future telling Marty they Biff's car would shred the DeLorean "like tinfoil"?

Well, maybe... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

That's the most entertaining car crash test video I've seen yet; and I am a connoisseur. :)

Nice! Yours? Looks all original. You've hidden just enough of the logo to make it a guessing game for those of us that care to know. :)

Anyways, my 60s car story: Smashed my nose into the metal - yes kiddies, that's sheet metal - dash of gramps' 62ish Pontiac. Blood all over. I remember someone running off to get an ice cream cone for me. I remember blood mingling with ice cream.

I also remember Anna's story - my version: a 1968 2 door Valiant that belonged to buddies - the back seat was also reached via a folding front seatback that just flapped back and forth, no locking mechanism. Must have been a joy to have those passengers slam into you from behind in an accident. What were the automakers thinking?

Just went with the moment Mustapha. I wish that was my car.

That's the most entertaining car crash test video I've seen yet; and I am a connoisseur. --Totally agree.

Then and Now for Jan 20. Lots of wwwebster pictures lately and more to come. All hail the webster. :)

Then. Back to the online Toronto Archive pics today; to give the webster a break. St. Clair Ave. Looking W from outside the TTC station entrance. c1962ish. That's a Corvair car coming along towards the camera and they came out in 1960. The rest of the cars look early 60ish, hence my guess.

s0648_fl0164_id0001.jpg

Now. June 2011. The TD bank building and everything east of it is long gone but there is still a TD branch within the 'new' - probably about 35 year old - office building. In the distance of the Then picture, a United Cigar Store can be seen. Its modern successor in the same location - Great Canadian News - has a direct linkage (albeit through a series of owners) to its historical precedent.

CSC_0106.jpg

Heya everyone. I won't be posting a Monday Then and Now as I will be away from a computer. All the threads here in 'City Photos' lately have a lot of 'churn' - so many posters and activity..

Have a great weekend everyone and set an example for the children. :)

Last edited:
The TD bank building and everything east of it is long gone but there is still a TD branch within the 'new' - probably about 35 year old - office building. In the distance of the Then picture, a United Cigar Store can be seen. Its modern successor Great Canadian News has a direct linkage (albeit through a series of owners) to its historical precedent.

Wow, great picture. Harry Young moved down Yonge Street on the East side. The building to the right of the "S" in "Loans" is still there. Rolex has their repair office there, currently. I don't know when the St. Clair Centre went up. I used to walk through it all the time.

Wow, great picture. Harry Young moved down Yonge Street on the East side. The building to the right of the "S" in "Loans" is still there. Rolex has their repair office there, currently. I don't know when the St. Clair Centre went up. I used to walk through it all the time.

Rolex used to be in the Victory Building on Richmond.. there is still a beautiful Rolex clock in the lobby.

What were the automakers thinking?

"No witnesses". Did you ever read the the Mother Jones article where they reference a Ford cost-benefit analysis that concluded it would cost more to fix the problem with an $11 modification per car than to pay off the survivors of the firebomb that was the Pinto? It makes you wonder if these are actual human beings running these corporations.

Back