News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 762     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Well, if we are going to talk F&C I might as well add my story.
When we lived at Queen and McLean I would sometimes be left "dinner Money" by my parents. I would either walk (or ride my bike) east to the Goof or west to Nova F&C.
Nova was always worth it! The best little black and white Deco building and old school F&C wrapped in newspaper. Ahh, good times! Good eats!
Anyone have a pic of the original store, circa 1973?

I'd forgotten about Nova. A Korean family owned it until it closed.

July 18 Then and Now.

Then. Simcoe, looking S towards Wellington. 1962-ish.

s0648_fl0050_id0002.jpg

Now. May 2011.

DSC_2830.jpg

CN Tempo Coaches: Back to Canada for the Algoma Central Railway...

Mustapha: I recognize the CN Tempo coach derailed in the 1/1/70 picture being lifted by the wreck crane in the center of the picture...

I believe that they were built in 1968 by Hawker-Siddeley and CN used them in Corridor regional train service out of Toronto and later became VIA property...

I believe that they are now in ski train service in the Denver,Colorado area today...

LI MIKE

Mustapha and Everyone: After further checking I discovered that group of railcars is back in Canada in service on the Algoma Central Railway out of Sault St. Marie...

The coaches were sold to the AC in 2009 and I also found an original 1968 brochure
describing these cars here at a site I also belong to:
www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&p=751498

LI MIKE

July 18 Then and Now.

Then. Winchester and Sumach SW corner. Taken from a 1982 issue of Time magazine.

winchesterandsumach2.jpg

Now. July 2011. The corner store is still a snack bar. It was closed this Friday evening at 850pm when I took the picture.

DSC_0039-3.jpg

July 18 Then and Now.

Then. Winchester and Sumach SW corner. Taken from a 1982 issue of Time magazine.

winchesterandsumach2.jpg

Now. July 2011. The corner store is still a snack bar. It was closed this Friday evening at 850pm when I took the picture.

DSC_0039-3.jpg

If I recall, you can still get some ice cream from the snack bar. Good stuff, too!

If I recall, you can still get some ice cream from the snack bar. Good stuff, too!

Funny... I was just down at that intersection 2 weeks ago, visiting the Necropolis and starting a bit of research on Potters Field. Peter Matthews from Pickering Township in particular for being one of 2 people hanged for their part in the Rebellion of 1837

July 18 Then and Now.

winchesterandsumach2.jpg

DSC_0039-3.jpg

Nothing change much i think its just the color? right?

Bregman's. They doubled in size. Swiss Chalet used to be South of The Jester. I remember those theatres fondly. Not that I was around then, but when the subways went in underneath, they had to insulate the foundation of the Hollywood for noise.

Does anybody remember Crown Fish & Chips on Broadview at Gerrard? Best in the city. Even better than Penrose.

Bregman's. They doubled in size. Swiss Chalet used to be South of The Jester. I remember those theatres fondly. Not that I was around then, but when the subways went in underneath, they had to insulate the foundation of the Hollywood for noise.

Yes, that's it,.. Bregmans.

July 20 Then and Now.

Then. "Sep 23, 1927. Frederick St. and west entrance to Freight Sheds."

Someone went to some expense to convert a warehouse into a train accessible building. Note the freshly modified doorway. I wonder what kind of business went on here?

io.jpg

Now. May 2011. I 'think' I have this location correct.

DSC_0278.jpg

July 20 Then and Now.

Then. "Sep 23, 1927. Frederick St. and west entrance to Freight Sheds."

Someone went to some expense to convert a warehouse into a train accessible building. Note the freshly modified doorway. I wonder what kind of business went on here?

io.jpg

Now. May 2011. I 'think' I have this location correct.

DSC_0278.jpg

You didn't get the location right since your photo was taken from this perspective on Princess Street, not Frederick Street. The building in the middle of the street in the 1927 photo is Campbell House, which was the view terminus for Frederick Street until it was moved in 1972.

Here's the "Now" perspective. The telling feature is the building just north of the building with the rail connection because it's still standing, albeit with modifications like the elimination of the two large arched entrances.

The tracks are poking out through the asphalt in your photo were deceptive in terms of recreating the location; perhaps a similar building was located on Princess. Nonetheless, the 1927 is interesting for other reasons. If the tracks in the 1927 photo are train tracks, it would be a rare instance of heavy rail street running in Toronto. I've only found evidence for it happening on Basin and Sudbury Streets in Toronto. Yet note the overhead wires across the street. They might have been streetcar tracks. If they were streetcar tracks, it's possible that freight was being moved with the streetcar network, something I wouldn't mind seeing today. Alternately, the warehouse produced goods for servicing the streetcar network. It's a curiosity.

Back