News   May 23, 2024
 116     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 884     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 702     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

TKWizards on a roll! I'm going to leave you alone. Can you do everything south of Dundas and west of Yonge? Thanks in advance. :)

No Guarantees on that. I might go beyond that boundary and take some pictures on Manning and Euclid north of Dundas. I won't go past Yonge though.

Is South of Bloor and West of Yonge a better for you?

Replying to my own post; what next?

Another picture of the Centre theatre that I just found.

s0372_ss0058_it1622.jpg

Yes, a 2nd post from me.. There was a gas station at that corner!? Nothng exists of it today.

Looks like the current Ali Babas was a convenience store back in the day.

Heres the same gas pump looking west

s0372_ss0058_it1621.jpg

It looks like most of the buildings on the south side got majorly renovated/demolished because I don't recognize ANY of them. The only ones that I do see unchanged are the ones on the NE corner of Palmerston.

Last edited:
I wrote a piece for the latest Spacing about red brick - if it was online I'd put up a link. It's the buildling material that typifies Toronto to me - so much so that, in an age where brick construction is unnecessary, and most "brick" building are just a skin over a frame, builders have a hard time convincing people to live in anything else; the attitude from home-buyers is that brick keeps its value, and everything else looks cheap.

I read and enjoyed your article.

As Mustapha has said. I AM on a roll!

Then. 260 Euclid Avenue. April 22, 1938

s0372_ss0033_it0349.jpg

Later. Same address, two months later after a renovation. June 14, 1938

s0372_ss0033_it0371.jpg

Now. March 2011. THEY REMOVED THE EIFS (A GOOD THING FOR ONCE). The old girl is still going strong. Its neighbour 262, lost a lot ;_;

IMG_4624.jpg

Last edited:
Is South of Bloor and West of Yonge a better for you?

Just kidding TK, you carry on. The way my Then and Now "work" goes is like this: I search the Archives for interesting Thens. They could/can be geographically anywhere. I've criss-crossed the City hundreds of times in the past 2 1/2 years.

It's great "cardio" and fresh air for me as I do quite a bit of this activity at a near run - speed mattering because only so much light in the middle of the day to take pictures as well as wanting to have some spare time for work and what not. :) I'm not complaining; I'm having the time of my life doing this.

I'll leave search terms "Manning" and "Euclid" in your province. :)

Last edited:
As Mustapha has said. I AM on a roll!

Then. 260 Euclid Avenue. April 22, 1938

s0372_ss0033_it0349.jpg

Later. Same address, two months later after a renovation. June 14, 1938

s0372_ss0033_it0371.jpg

Now. March 2011. THEY REMOVED THE EIFS (A GOOD THING FOR ONCE). The old girl is still going strong. Its neighbour 262, lost a lot ;_;

IMG_4624.jpg

A private driveway in the downtown core. That's something. :)

Yes, a 2nd post from me.. There was a gas station at that corner!? Nothng exists of it today.

Looks like the current Ali Babas was a convenience store back in the day.

Heres the same gas pump looking west

s0372_ss0058_it1621.jpg

It looks like most of the buildings on the south side got majorly renovated/demolished because I don't recognize ANY of them. The only ones that I do see unchanged are the ones on the NE corner of Palmerston.

Nice find. These street side pumps often existed as part of the business of a car repair shop. There may not necessarily have been a gas station at that location.

Note that it has damage at the base from a tire swiping it.

I'm going to put up a second one because I feel happy!

Then. 103-105 Euclid Avenue. Oct 11, 1939

s0372_ss0033_it0624.jpg

Later. Same address. May 23, 1941.

s0372_ss0033_it0773.jpg

Now. March 2011. A tree is on the 103 Property now.

IMG_4626.jpg

I'm going to put up a second one because I feel happy!

Then. 103-105 Euclid Avenue. Oct 11, 1939

s0372_ss0033_it0624.jpg

Later. Same address. May 23, 1941.

s0372_ss0033_it0773.jpg

Now. March 2011. A tree is on the 103 Property now.

IMG_4626.jpg

I love these "Then/Later and Nows".

That's an unusual tree.

#101 still has the same door from 1941.

March 19 addition.

Then. March 12, 1950. 306 Yonge street.

s0574_fl0013_id49323.jpg

Now. February 2011. I'm guessing that the original building is underneath all that in spite of the upsized windows and metal cladding.

DSC_0192.jpg

I sometimes wonder what are the determinants that draw us to Then and Now pictures?

The form is cross-cultural as a review of the many Flickr albums dedicated to it attest. So, the determinant is a human emotion.

I myself look at Then and Nows of places I've never been to. The images are still valuable even if the attachment to place isn't there, or is it?

Many here tell us that a picture removes them to a place or event or both, in the past. It might have been as ephemeral as a dinner at a long gone restaurant as nomoreatorontonian tells us recently. It might have been a grand demolished building that we admired. It might have been the site of conflict or national history. It might have been something in between two of these or a kluge of several.

If the picture is earlier than our memories or birth date, it still has emotional attraction and historical relevance. It suggests a place we wish we had been to, or a place our ancestors worked or played in. Or, it lets us be observers of the present day, look into the past. The two pictures now give us points for comparison.

Putting two images - a Then and a Now - together creates - I think - an opportunity for the reader to write their own history. So, we have history presented to us but we don't have a historian having to research, write, edit and present history to us in so many sentences.

We look at the pictures and create our own narrative.

That's fine for the past but what lessons for the future can be derived from studying Then and Now?

Class discussion. :)

" I'm guessing that the original building is underneath all that . . ." QUOTE Mustapha.

I SUPP-HOSE she is wearing GUESS, for I GUESS she needn't yet need SUPP-HOSE.

(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
A private driveway in the downtown core. That's something. :)

I'm not sure I'd consider Dundas three blocks west of Bathurst quite as "downtown core", but I like the sign. Does that neighbourhood have parking issues (Toronto Western?) or is it just someone with a good sense of humour?

Yes they sure screwed around with 262, didn't they. That aluminum or vinyl siding is worse than stucco, and on a brick house?

A double Then and Now today. Well they're in the same location, but yeeeah.

Then. The Gas pump posted a few days ago! March 28, 1942

s0372_ss0058_it1622.jpg

s0372_ss0058_it1621.jpg

Now. March 2011. Shy nine days away from actually 69 years ago.

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

Oh and, closeup of the patched up, BUT still evident cover of where the Gas Pump used to be.

IMG_4640.jpg

Re Guess on Yonge: I seem to recall that the building on the site was demolished altogether in the 90s or so, and later replaced by the Guess storefront...don't know at what point the advertising tower behind it all jumps in...

Back