News   Jul 08, 2024
 206     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.1K     13 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"to allow the concrete to be squeezed out cake decorator style." QUOTE Mustapha.

Concrete is not mortar, it being far too hard.

(Brick - hard, mortar - soft.)

Reguards,
J T

Last edited:
Thanks for that "Now" photo, TKWizard.
You must have shot from a street car, yes?
I'm not familiar with that intersection.
Was the old three-storey gas station at A, B or C? ---- see thumbnail

Correct! I was on a streetcar. I always take this streetcar when I'm going home from work.

I assume between A and C right where the tracks curve. It's more than likely that St. Helens used to be slightly longer. Maybe JT can tell us as I was not even born yet.

Last edited:
"to allow the concrete to be squeezed out cake decorator style." QUOTE Mustapha.

Reguards,
J T

Brick is my favourite building material, and it pains me (really it does) to see fine brickwork murdered by poor rework or EIFS. Try finding a bricklayer that can even identify different bonds and courses these days, not an easy task.

That's my rant done.

Brick is my favourite building material, and it pains me (really it does) to see fine brickwork murdered by poor rework or EIFS. Try finding a bricklayer that can even identify different bonds and courses these days, not an easy task.

That's my rant done.

Totally agree. People don't see the bricks for the forest. The amount of brickwork in the city that has disappeared is apalling. The worst: Princess Margaret Hospital, Police Division on Jarvis (the former Foresters building). Both laid up in Flemish (or English) cross-bond, the most interesting, expensive and difficult to lay up. The quality of the bricks that have been laid recently look like they have had too many beers for lunch. The new Leaside library is embarassing too.

Another then and now from me.

Then. 172-4 Claremont STREET (Mislabled as Place). September 3, 1941.

s0372_ss0033_it0793.jpg

Now. March 2011

IMG_0057.jpg

Last edited:
I wrote a piece for the latest Spacing about red brick - if it was online I'd put up a link. It's the buildling material that typifies Toronto to me - so much so that, in an age where brick construction is unnecessary, and most "brick" building are just a skin over a frame, builders have a hard time convincing people to live in anything else; the attitude from home-buyers is that brick keeps its value, and everything else looks cheap.

Reguards,
J T

The bag was labeled "mortar mix". I hope it was the right stuff. It's still there, in between the bricks. :)

172-4 Claremont - the basement reno/build-out that put a porch on both of these homes hasn't done them any favours, and the most visible result is that the lawn is completely ignored. Not that I'm a huge fan of lawns, but the general effect is that the neighbourhood is run-down - a corollary of the "broken windows" theory, I guess. Like most Toronto porches, I'll bet that it's never used, but I'll bet you the new basement is.

172-4 Claremont - the basement reno/build-out that put a porch on both of these homes hasn't done them any favours, and the most visible result is that the lawn is completely ignored. Not that I'm a huge fan of lawns, but the general effect is that the neighbourhood is run-down - a corollary of the "broken windows" theory, I guess. Like most Toronto porches, I'll bet that it's never used, but I'll bet you the new basement is.

My in-laws had a basement extension like that. It was a utility room extension of the basement essentially, complete with door. Unheated.

Last edited:
I wrote a piece for the latest Spacing about red brick - if it was online I'd put up a link. It's the buildling material that typifies Toronto to me - so much so that, in an age where brick construction is unnecessary, and most "brick" building are just a skin over a frame, builders have a hard time convincing people to live in anything else; the attitude from home-buyers is that brick keeps its value, and everything else looks cheap.

That's because it ages well, IMHO.

Can you even buy a solid brick home anymore? The new ones I've seen skinned in "brick" aren't exactly priced like starter homes...

Time to probably my first Then and now. TheCharioteer, I used one of the pictures you posted three years ago on Skyscraper City.

The Centre at 772 Dundas Street West, unknown year.

centre1947.jpg

Now, Mar 2011, used my iPod Touch camera to take this..

IMG_00551.jpg

Replying to my own post; what next?

Another picture of the Centre theatre that I just found.

s0372_ss0058_it1622.jpg

"Was the old three-storey gas station at A, B or C? ---- see thumbnail " QUOTE Goldie.

From the looks of my map, the answer is . . .

A.

Regards,
J T

Also "not doing them any favours": the gross, scaleless replacement sash...

March 18 addition.

Then. Night Shot! "Photo of Carls-Rite Cleaners June 12, 1957." This is 509 Bloor west; at the SE corner of Borden.

PhotoofCarlsRiteCleanersnightshotJun1257-1.jpg

Now. February 2011. Black and white, or colour, you choose. I prefer night time Thens to be matched up with black and white Nows. That's just my personal aesthetic.

DSC_2600.jpg

DSC_2598.jpg

Back