News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Streetcar interiors:

Streetcar No. 202 March 22, 1918

f1231_it0218.jpg

'Leave by the front door'. Lol. Times certainly have changed.

Memories.
(1) Travelling downtown in the second section of a Yonge Street Car in winter. The conductor (=ticket taker) had the extra job of putting more coal in the coal stove.
(2) Travelling up Yonge Street on the subway in the evening rush hour on a hot summer's day, before they air-conditioned the coaches.

Always thought the seats were harder on the subway than in the street cars.

My grandparents must have owned the last coal furnace in North Toronto. They had it up until 1968ish. If the furnace was cold, you built a fire from wood scraps within. Then you would shovel in the coal. It was pleasant to watch; much like a wood fire when the hottest embers glow red.

From that last picture, Leyand & Birmingham are still in business, as is Dunlop.

As an aside about the original subway cars, my grandfather worked for BEPCO (British Electrical Products Company), later taken over by Crompton Parkinson, which provided the original motors and electrical work for the cars. This always gave me a sense of pride when i rode on the old cars as a kid.

British machinery: their automobiles were keerap but their heavy machinery was truly made for the Ages.

March 3 addition.

Then. BEFORE Old City Hall. Hard to believe there was something there before. In fact there was. A little row of shops in the 19th century. Torn down around 1888. Construction on the City Hall began in 1889. Opening was in 1899.

ViewoftheGlobeFoundryonQueenStreetWestdemolishedin1890tomakewayforTorontoCityHall.jpg

Now. February 2011. Old City Hall. Viewed from the wonderful floor to ceiling height windows of the City View Cafe on the 8th floor of the Bay department store at Yonge and Queen streets.

When I originally started having meals and snacks here around 1990 it was patronized primarily by smoking Bay store employees. Not as in Hot. Tobacco smoking. The demographic of the customer base has diversified lately. My last visit included the Old, the Young and many newly babied couples. A serene sit and a great - indeed, historic "birds eye" view, for as little as the price of a cup of coffee. Tip: buy the tea. You get a little stainless pot. Fill it and the accompanying cup with boiling water. Infuse both with the tea bag. Voila. You get two drinks for the price of one. Don't mention it. Fellas, impress your date with how good you are with your money. Bear in mind if you do this there may be no second date with Samantha. Now, I only have to plan a route home that has public toilets enroute. What?, too much information you say?. You young Darlins, just you wait. :)

CSC_0169.jpg

March 4 addition.

Then. [Mutual street] "Arena lineup for 1st Service United Church June 10 1925."

Arenalineupfor1stServiceUnitedChurchjune101925.jpg

Now. February 2011. The 1912 Mutual street arena was located on the west side of Mutual street between Dundas and Shuter. It was where the Leafs played before they moved to their new home in the Maple Leaf Gardens in 1932. Henry Pellatt of Casa Loma fame was one of its backers. It survived although altered - divided within into a roller, ice skating and curling rinks until 1989 - when the present condos replaced it. On the right of the Now picture are some evergreen bushes. Some of the original brick is strewn about here on the ground somewhat haphazardly. The roller skating rink was a magical place for this writer and just as you might have guessed, many dating couples courted there.

DSC_0047-1.jpg

March 6 addition.

A bit of trivia: a plate from the long gone Sai Woo restaurant on Dundas between Bay and Elizabeth. It's former location is an Indian restaurant now.

DSCF3533.jpg

Then. 1952 Yonge subway construction photo. Yonge and Dundas. Looking E along Dundas to Yonge.

s0574_fl0094_id491157.jpg

Now. February 2011.

DSC_0197.jpg

March 6 addition.

A bit of trivia: a plate from the long gone Sai Woo restaurant on Dundas between Bay and Elizabeth. It's former location is an Indian restaurant now.

DSCF3533.jpg

Sai Woo had a huge menu, great food at reasonable prices and was open LATE. The bathrooms were something to be desired. My two best friends and I used to go there almost every Tuesday night (well, morning) after work, often after a drink or two at Remingtons in the late 80's & 90's (men's night out, husbands at home in bed!). Many good memories. South Chinatown Restaurant (just west of Bay on the south side of Dundas) used to be the best place for a great cheap lunch in the 80's & 90's.

Sai Woo had a huge menu, great food at reasonable prices and was open LATE. The bathrooms were something to be desired. My two best friends and I used to go there almost every Tuesday night (well, morning) after work, often after a drink or two at Remingtons in the late 80's & 90's (men's night out, husbands at home in bed!). Many good memories. South Chinatown Restaurant (just west of Bay on the south side of Dundas) used to be the best place for a great cheap lunch in the 80's & 90's.

:) I posted several of Sai Woos menu pages way back in this thread but here are a couple to save you from having to do a search.

DSCF1003.jpg

DSCF1004.jpg

DSCF1012.jpg

Finally, my first contribution to this thread. Original archive photos posted by thecharioteer

Two "Then and Now's" from Jarvis Street south of Wellesley:

March 7 addition.

Back to Yonge street.

Then. March 12, 1950. 381 and 379 Yonge.

379yonge.jpg

Now. February 2011.

DSC_0175.jpg

Last edited:

Back