News   Jul 08, 2024
 31     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

There was an Aladdin rugs at 2641 Yonge in the 1960s. It's now a Gap store.

And my United Clothing observation pertains to Aladdin Rugs here, too--here, we witness the glorious pre-history of today's picture-windowed main-street big-box retail. (Ah, had it survived, it'd have been converted into a contemporary clothing emporium wholesale.)

March 11 addition.

Then. March 12, 1950. 369 Yonge St.

s0574_fl0019_id49384.jpg

I had no idea they had private wine stores back in 1950. Growing up in a family that didn't do wine much (and when wine was either domestic plonk or expensive imported stuff), I only remember becoming aware of wine stores in the late 70s or early 80s or so. Were they always around in Ontario?

Brights Wines had a store a few blocks further south (opposite Eaton's or thereabouts). Mom used to take me in there when the downtown shopping list included a bottle of sherry--a once or twice a year event. I guess that Brights was permitted to have it own store because the wine was produced in Niagara (it wasn't being imported). Maybe Acme Wines was an outlet for other Niagara producers.
But, in the same era, I remember the parents having a little book like a bank deposit book that they had to present at the counter in the LCBO every time they bought a bottle. One of those things they had to take with them when it was vacation time in Muskoka.
Tempus fugit.

Time to probably my first Then and now. TheCharioteer, I used one of the pictures you posted three years ago on Skyscraper City.

The Centre at 772 Dundas Street West, unknown year.

centre1947.jpg

Now, Mar 2011, used my iPod Touch camera to take this..

IMG_00551.jpg

Time to probably my first Then and now. TheCharioteer, I used one of the pictures you posted three years ago on Skyscraper City.

The Centre at 772 Dundas Street West, unknown year.

centre1947.jpg

Now, Mar 2011, used my iPod Touch camera to take this..

IMG_00551.jpg

How interesting. I hadn't heard of this "nabe" [neighbourhood theatre]. The last owner writes about it here. http://www3.sympatico.ca/menright63/centre-to.html

March 14 addition.

In commemoration of TKWizard's 1st Then and Now, here is another "nabe".

Then. Landsdowne Theatre. 685 Landsdowne, E side, just N of Bloor street. Someone is going to look up the date of the film and let us know what year this picture, as well as TKWizards's picture, was taken. :)

landsdownetheatre1947.jpg

Now. February 2011.

DSC_0139.jpg

That Then and now will probably be all from me for a while. I want to wait for the weather to get warmer first before I go shoot more. I'm probably going to be staying within my home turf, but we'll see. Theres a lot that I could take from the Toronto Archives which I believe you haven't touched yet!

I already have these planned.

s0372_ss0033_it0688.jpg

f1244_it7375.jpg

s0376_fl0002_it0105.jpg

Note that all these images are on 'Manning Avenue'. Its the street that I live on!

Last edited:
Let us begin!

Then: 120-122 Manning Avenue April 22, 1940. I believe this semi-detached was awaiting demolition.

s0372_ss0033_it0685.jpg

Now: March 2011, evening. Took this on the way home with a better camera.

IMG_4616.jpg

And another!

Then: Rear of 105-107 Manning Avenue February 8, 1939

s0372_ss0033_it0494.jpg

Later: Rear of 105-107 Manning Avenue, a little off angle from Feb 8's. November 30, 1939

s0372_ss0033_it0639.jpg

Now: March 2011 Evening, now with a fence blocking the shack and with the 1986 Hans Monvik condo right behind me (115 Manning). Yes, that is a railing for a small staircase.

IMG_4618.jpg

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're pointing to either 120 Manning Avenue or the rear of 105 Manning avenue (the shack)

I took these two because they're literally not even one minute from where I live. Oh and I live in a semi-detached house, and NOT a condo fyi.

In the last pic, the first "tail", of the house has a brick wall. (Driveway/fence/open space/brick wall c/w window.)

The top of that wall above the roof was originally covered with a concrete cover/cap which had failed in years past

judging from the parged repair between it and the window area. The addition of an asphalt cover is of poor thought

and only a "quick-fix", in my estimation. A better solution is to flash the parapet (in the old days with vitrified tile)

with metal sheet.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
According to imdb.com, "The Destroyer" starring Edward G. Robinson (everyone's favourite whiny, obnoxious taskmaster in "The Ten Commandments") and Glenn Ford was released in 1943. That should help date the "Then" photo of the Centre Theatre on Dundas.

I wonder if the theatre was still standing when my mom and her family first came to the neighbourhood from the Azores in 1967? They lived for a while on Lippincott before finally moving to Euclid, and I remember her talking about going to a nearby theatre to watch movies with her siblings.

Old Cinemas

Really want to thank TKWizard and Mustapha for those cinema shots.
I loved those places as a youngster.
Here's some of my collection (posted earlier, naturally!).
I really need an original photo of the Iola where I saw my very first movie.
Please, Ontario Archives, upload the Iola to your site!

centre1947.jpg

landsdownetheatre1947.jpg

Attachments

• Allenby.jpg
    Allenby.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Cameo.jpg
    Cameo.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Iola.jpg
    Iola.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 283
  • Palace.jpg
    Palace.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 297
In the last pic, the first "tail", of the house has a brick wall. (Driveway/fence/open space/brick wall c/w window.)

The top of that wall above the roof was originally covered with a concrete cover/cap which had failed in years past

judging from the parged repair between it and the window area. The addition of an asphalt cover is of poor thought

and only a "quick-fix", in my estamation. A better solution is to flash the parapet (in the old days with vitrified tile)

with metal sheet.

Regards,
J T

Well, while we are picking nits: I noticed that this house, in common with many of it's vintage in the older parts of Toronto, still retains the ineffective bathroom vent pipe. I had one of these and upgraded to a powered fan. In my kitchen, I knocked a hole through the brick myself and had an electrician wire up a vent hood. I believe that in this day and age for health's sake good ventilation is a must. I feel strong enough about it that I feel it should be a retrofit bylaw.

TKWizard, thank you for a great series.

According to imdb.com, "The Destroyer" starring Edward G. Robinson (everyone's favourite whiny, obnoxious taskmaster in "The Ten Commandments") and Glenn Ford was released in 1943. That should help date the "Then" photo of the Centre Theatre on Dundas.

I wonder if the theatre was still standing when my mom and her family first came to the neighbourhood from the Azores in 1967? They lived for a while on Lippincott before finally moving to Euclid, and I remember her talking about going to a nearby theatre to watch movies with her siblings.

And "Bachelor Daddy" was released in 1941, so we can date the Landsdowne Theatre photo. My grandfather mentioned that going to the movies also meant a side benefit - an escape from the summer heat.

Back